Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management

Q

QualityDeb

Most of the posts I've read that touched on this subject were old and they didn't straight out answer my question so I'm starting a new thread with a simple question:
Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management???? :confused:
My previous job, I was made QMR until they were told that I had to be a member of management. They did not want to make me a manager so they revoked it. My current job wants to make me QMR but again, I'm not a member of management. :nopity:
Also, since QMR is on top of your regular job requirements (I’m a quality coordinator) can anyone give me an idea what kind of pay increase can I negotiate for? :agree:(By percentage?)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

George Weiss

Re: Quality Management Representative

Greetings quality person,
Does a QMR have to be part of management?
There is a clause where direct reporting to the top is mandated. A CEO would want to be accountable to a reporting manager, and not by chance, a mail-room clerk with a QMR badge. A person with necessary authority. I am of the posture that the QMR management requirement is more of image and club access than clause wording. It might also allow the assignment of the QMR position to a person with the perceived needed educational background. Education and employment position, causing conflict(s) of interest are justifications for not being allowed to be QMR. I would bet that being/not being management would also, depending on your view, LOL. I would develop a substantiated posture for being able to be a QMR presentation. Holding on to the job is the first step to commanding a raise for performing it. A raise percentage would be on a sliding scale. I would look at your company’s quality investment history and factor in past proactive efforts. Looking for a raise for QMR at a back-woods mom-n-pop outlet would not be like a premier medical device corporation.
So: Mom-n-Pop would likely make you a QMR and pay you another $0.25hr. maybe, but have a PHD and work for the FDA, and you are talking six figure league.

take a look at this thread @
ISO 9001 Quality Management Representative Qualifications

Clause 5.5.2 Management Representative focused comments:
Someone with management authority should act as the organization's management representative for quality system. This person must have the necessary authority within the organization to ensure that the quality management system is working. ISO 9001 specifically requires this person to be a member of management within the organization. People from outside the organization (for example consultants) cannot be the management representative unless they have a management position within the organization. Obviously, the management representative can have other responsibilities as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

quality person

The standard mentions that the Management representative should be a part of the organization's management, who would carry additional responsibility apart from the actual work they are deployed for. Usually organization deploys a person from the middle manager level as a Management representative, because middle management has easy access to both the top level and the operator level employees.

12stones

To answer your question: Yes.

5.5.2 Management representative
Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have the responsibility and authority that includes...

In short, you have to be able to show that the QMR has the authority to complete the responsibilities outlined in 5.5.2. If you're not a member of management, it's difficult to prove that you have that authority. Especially if you have to go up a couple of levels to get decisions made or actions implemented.

Q

QualityDeb

To answer your question: Yes.

5.5.2 Management representative
Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have the responsibility and authority that includes...

In short, you have to be able to show that the QMR has the authority to complete the responsibilities outlined in 5.5.2. If you're not a member of management, it's difficult to prove that you have that authority. Especially if you have to go up a couple of levels to get decisions made or actions implemented.
I'm a Quality Coordinator, not a manager. How do you PROVE you have authority? Can management just say it and it is so?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

I'm a Quality Coordinator, not a manager. How do you PROVE you have authority? Can management just say it and it is so?
They can, but an external auditor, worth his/her money, will investigate and verify that you indeed have the authority. Too many times this job is delegated dumped on willing ISO victims.

There are quite a few threads here at The Cove Forums dealing with this issue. Have you looked?

Stijloor.

Q

QualityDeb

They can, but an external auditor, worth his/her money, will investigate and verify that you indeed have the authority. Too many times this job is delegated dumped on willing ISO victims.

There are quite a few threads here at The Cove Forums dealing with this issue. Have you looked?

Stijloor.
I searched this morning and most of the ones did not quite answer my question or were so old, I did not know if I would still get answers or feedback....

Q

QualityDeb

Stijloor.
So basically I tell my boss, make me a manager or give me the authority!! lol

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

That's about it. One of the reasons that the ISO 9001 Standards writers elevated this job to the management level is that in the past, these poor MR people had no authority to make things happen.

Stijloor.

12stones

If only it were that easy. Just being a manager isn't enough. You have to show evidence that you're actively fulfilling the responsibilities of the QMR. You don't have to manage people to technically hold a management position. If I were to want to appoint you as my QMR, then I would first document it in the Quality Manual, show an organizational chart that at a minimum has you dotted-lined to executive management, ensure you were a major part of the internal audit system, management review, and CAPA processes and then be able to show through records/meeting minutes/management review actions, etc. that you actually had the responsibility and authority.

Normally, though, most third-party auditors take it with a grain of salt that if you're a manager and the QMR, then you meet the requirement. It's always been an overlooked part of ISO in my experience, but ineffective auditing is another topic for another day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Quality Management Representative confusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Is a Quality Representative (Management Representative) Designee Required? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 22
S Work as a QMR (Quality Management Representative) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
Z Involvement of Management representative (ISO 3834) in Quality Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
G Must the QMS Management Representative be part of the quality department? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
L ISO 9001 Quality Management Representative Qualifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A Accredited Quality Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Management Representative vs. Quality Representative vs. Quality Manager ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Role of Quality Manager / Quality Management System Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
A Authorities of QMR (Quality Management Representative) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q 5.5.2 Management Representative - Can I be held responsible for all quality matters? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
John Broomfield Informational Chartered Institute of Building - Code on Quality Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
D Templates for Environmental, Safety and quality Management System wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 30411:2018 Human resource management - Quality of hire metric Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
R Quality Management Software Recommendations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
S Supplier Control - Supplier quality management certificates (ISO, etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Support and guidance with supplier quality management system Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
F ISO 9001:2015 4.3 - Determining the scope of the quality management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q Thoughts on Communications relevant to the Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Y Quality Management System Manual (Wood Manufacturing Company) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3 - Supplier Quality Management System Development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 59
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Free Risk Management Webinar - Design for Quality - May 2017 Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
S "Quality Management System" Certificate vs. "Quality" Certificate? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2