Quality Management System vs. Effects of Local Culture on Implementing a QMS

F

fahadhmmad

I am seeking answers of effects of local culture on implementing quality management system what are these effects ,how to overcome them are there any research on this topics

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I am seeking answers of effects of local culture on implementing quality management system what are these effects ,how to overcome them are there any research on this topics
Good subject. :agree1: For starters I suggest a look in the following threads, where similar (but not quite the same) subjects were discussed:

Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin?
The Elusive Culture Change
Cultural influence and "lineage" of Quality Systems
Changing the Culture of an organisation where quality is a dirty word
Understanding Business Organizations - Organizational styles

As fahadhmmad indicates there are differences. The effort multinational companies need to put in to keep their branches in different cultures (not necessarily in different countries) makes that plain to see. In fact you can see vastly different cultures in two companies just across the street from each other...

How to adress them? First priority must be to know them, so let's have examples...

/Claes

M

mirrorcrax

Mr. Fahad,

Excuse me, but i feel you're asking the wrong question, culture shouldn't influence the QMS as much as the QMS should influence culture.

Please let me elaborate:

The QMS isn't just a set of papers to be sent to your customers to boast your management's achievements and project a false picture of a hollow system, I believe that wouldn't and shouldn't be called a QMS in the first place! because its primary purpose (its real purpose) isn't related to quality and customer satisfaction, just related to personal gain or gratification.

The QMS is the final state of your business system after following specific requirements inspired by quality concepts layed out by professionals from all over the world.

SO...back to the point.... if culture (as in the antion's culture) influences the QMS negatively thus twisting the purpose of its existance then its no longer a QMS, just as when a car accident twists and bends a car thus mutilating it into becoming a WRECK!

If you're refering to the various obstacles that may face the implementation of a QMS due to cultural differences or the people's culture as it is: they're plenty in various forms and shapes, but if that culture is so damaging, then there wouldn't have been a business in the first place.

I get faced with cultural walls that affect implementation, especially when a company decides to deal customers from different cultures, with different standards and qualifications of personnel.

To my knowledge and belief i don't think that the culture of a country should twist the requirements of ISO9001:2000 in its implementation, but the solutions relating to applying it should naturally address the audience to whom it is intended.

Excuse me, but i feel you're asking the wrong question, culture shouldn't influence the QMS as much as the QMS should influence culture.
Speaking of cultural differences, I will have to disagree with that (misunderstanding?). I definitely think culture should influence the QMS. Maybe the proper word should be different, and different does not necessarily mean bad. We should accept that those differences exist and adapt our systems to fit the needs of our respective organizations. The standard allows us to do that without affecting it's intent. It is just a question of achieving the same thing in different ways.

One size does not fit all.

but the solutions relating to applying it should naturally address the audience to whom it is intended.
Exactly :agree1: and I believe that was the essence of fahadhmmad's question (Was it?).

/Claes

Randy

Super Moderator
Claes is correct as usual. ISO 9001 is generic so that it can be shaped to fit the needs of each organization (culture) while still having its requirements met.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I often think about and counsel with companies struggling to implement new policies (business, quality, personnel, etc.) on an entrenched culture resistant to change.

Situations which trigger the crisis perceived by top management include, but are not limited to:
  1. mergers & acquisitions
  2. expansion or contraction of business
  3. opening new locations in different political or economic surroundings than orginal location
  4. pressure by customers in the marketplace to alter existng practices or lose business (child labor, safety issues, bias in gender or age, or race or religion, registration to international Standards, etc.)
Almost always, success in implementing the new policy depends on convincing the target population there is MORE BENEFIT in adopting the new policy than in maintaining status quo.

This means more effort on the part of the change manager and top managers than merely saying, "Because I said so!"

Some clues in being a successful change manager abound on the internet. Google "Change Management."

Almost always, success in implementing the new policy depends on convincing the target population there is MORE BENEFIT in adopting the new policy than in maintaining status quo.

This means more effort on the part of the change manager and top managers than merely saying, "Because I said so!"
Yes, there it is...:agree1: The basic question is: "What is in it for me? A manager failing to provide a satisfactory answer is in for a hard time, and if there is no satisfactory answer... then it's time to seriously rethink the concept.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Yes, there it is...:agree1: The basic question is: "What is in it for me? A manager failing to provide a satisfactory answer is in for a hard time, and if there is no satisfactory answer... then it's time to seriously rethink the concept.

/Claes
Further rumination on "change management:"
Frequently, autocratic owners and managers operate with FEAR as the prime motivation. In the short term, this may seem to accomplish the change in record time, but history has shown that populations ruled by fear invariably are less innovative and "work to the book" while subtly sabotaging production. Sometimes there is a revolt, but most often, the best workers merely leave for other employment with a better work atmosphere and the production rate falls with the remaining timid workers, increasing training costs for new hires who do not have the benefit of on-the-job trainng from the best workers.

The change manager faced with such a situation [of FEAR imposed by owners and top managers] must find a way to educate the fear mongers of the self-defeating result of using fear to control a work population.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

/Claes
Claes, this is the perspective from the developed world. In the developing world (being PC), a significant percentage of the workforce is illiterate and expected NOT to think when working in their assembly lines. I have audited many organizations in Latin America where work instructions had to be visual aids only, such as pictures or sketches, because, as mentioned before, workers are not able to read textual instructions. In maquiladoras, when you have a workforce turnover rate of 30% or higher, managers tend not to care much about what the workers think. In organizations such as this, the ISO 9000 principle of "people involvement" is totally ignored. On the other hand, employee adherence to instructions is done religiously. Because the employees know that, if they screw up, they will not have a second chance.

I do believe that the OP was referring to "cultural differences" along these lines. The absolute "command and control" approach, predominantly used in developing economies, has a military discipline expectation. Don't deviate from the process, don't ask questions, don't worry about improving anything, and most importantly, don't think.

Wes Bucey

Claes, this is the perspective from the developed world. In the developing world (being PC), a significant percentage of the workforce is illiterate and expected NOT to think when working in their assembly lines. I have audited many organizations in Latin America where work instructions had to be visual aids only, such as pictures or sketches, because, as mentioned before, workers are not able to read textual instructions. In maquiladoras, when you have a workforce turnover rate of 30% or higher, managers tend not to care much about what the workers think. In organizations such as this, the ISO 9000 principle of "people involvement" is totally ignored. On the other hand, employee adherence to instructions is done religiously. Because the employees know that, if they screw up, they will not have a second chance.

I do believe that the OP was referring to "cultural differences" along these lines. The absolute "command and control" approach, predominantly used in developing economies, has a military discipline expectation. Don't deviate from the process, don't ask questions, don't worry about improving anything, and most importantly, don't think.
I agree that may have been "part" of the O.P. The true change manager (as Deming often said) has to show how a short-sighted policy like that is counter-productive over the long run. As I never tire of repeating, Deming's Red Beads consistently shows "blind obedience to a plan" does not necessarily result in consistent production. Where is it written an organization cannot engage in "developing" its work force? Many tyrannical employers want to keep employees ignorant so they may be exploited. Do we, as Quality professionals, want to go on record as saying that's OK?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Templates for Environmental, Safety and quality Management System wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Support and guidance with supplier quality management system Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
F ISO 9001:2015 4.3 - Determining the scope of the quality management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q Thoughts on Communications relevant to the Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Y Quality Management System Manual (Wood Manufacturing Company) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3 - Supplier Quality Management System Development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 59
S "Quality Management System" Certificate vs. "Quality" Certificate? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
T IATF 16949 Quality Management System (QMS) Scope Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Control Plans for Quality Management System Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F Regulatory Compliant Quality Management System - Bare Minimum EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Add API Q1 & Q2 to Quality Management System Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
M Requirements of the quality management system - TS 16949 clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Quality Management System Strategy Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
A QMS (Quality Management System) for Logistic Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Implementing a new quality management system for a new engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Heard of MS1900: 2014. Quality Management System from Islamic Perspective? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M EN 62304 and Quality Management System Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
P What is a QMS (Quality Management System), really? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
0 Feedback on proposed restructure of Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Antonio Vieira Thoughts on implementation of Quality Management System in a Police Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
S Help for Implementing a Quality Management System Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
K The differences between ISO 9001 vs a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Ajit Basrur Why I Implemented a Quality Management System for my Kids Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
I Contingency Plan that meets requirements of API Q1 Quality Management System Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
x-files Documents required by the quality management system shall be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
MarilynJ6354 Changes to the Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4