Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
Hello Quality Guru's!

I have a question. We are a manufacturing company certified to AS1900. We used to have a senior management team, of which I the QM was part of. I had direct access to the MD as required.

Recently, the MD decided to implement a highier tier 'executive management team', which means now I report to the Engineering Manager.

I have amended the organisational chart with an extra dotted line which suggests I still have access to the MD, although a fellow professional recently told me that it doesn't work due to there being a conflict of interests between myself and the Engineering Manager.

Is this correct?

L

lk2012

Uh-oh, sounds like Quality's being quietly ousted.
Would it be worth clarifying this with the Engineering Manager and the MD - perhaps you could arrange a short meeting and explain your concerns to them and point out the potential risks to the company. Make sure they're both there so you can't get a 'he said... but he told me...' situation.
good luck

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Hello Quality Guru's!

I have a question. We are a manufacturing company certified to AS1900. We used to have a senior management team, of which I the QM was part of. I had direct access to the MD as required.

Recently, the MD decided to implement a highier tier 'executive management team', which means now I report to the Engineering Manager.

I have amended the organisational chart with an extra dotted line which suggests I still have access to the MD, although a fellow professional recently told me that it doesn't work due to there being a conflict of interests between myself and the Engineering Manager.

Is this correct?
It seems to me the first hurdle is to determine with the MD [Managing Director?] preferably in writing, that you DO still have direct access to the MD. It would not be the first time that some manager got so full of himself that he wants to isolate himself from the day-to-day issues of the organization.

Ideally, the organization chart is agreed by ALL parties. As for your "fellow professional" - is he part of the organization or just an outsider offering an opinion?

In terms of "conflicts of interests" - without a list of the specific duties and responsibilities of both you and the Engineering Manager, it's impossible to say.

The real issue here is that the new hierarchy has not been specifically described to your satisfaction. We cannot read the mind of your MD, neither can you, so your best course of action is to clear the air with guy in charge and get documentation to :ca: when dealing with coworkers at ANY level in the hierarchy.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Quality Guru's!

Is this correct?

Looking at it based on AS9100, clause 5.5.2 d says that the management has the responsibility and authority to have

d) the organizational freedom and unrestricted access to top management to resolve quality management issues.

As an auditor I would see no issues with your situation.

The main issue is if top management is continuing to make the commitment to the QMS.

Top Bottom