Quality manager considering data science

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I am a Quality manager and I have been taken several studies in Quality management ( both courses & degree), and I was thinking in taking a forward step in my academic studies to join Data Science program / degree. As we are truly driving towards more orientation era of data science and I entirely believe that Quality profession is declining to be a 'techno-oriented' profession , that we are moving to Quality 4.0 era of new method, and quality automated tools, that would acquire optimizing skills to handle and to adapt it in the nearly future.

The point is, I need to discuss this point with everyone because I still have some worries of taking this step (if I decided to join a degree / course).

So could you advise me how do you think this idea would be wisely taken? in the light of Quality management profession?

Thank you in advance,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Your point about quality being a declining profession is interesting. Many quality professionals have long argued that quality is everyone else’s responsibility!

One could argue that once line managers and engineers understand the principles of quality management they could do it all themselves; except perhaps for audit.

But do they?

The fact remains however that we all need better and more timely information to make better decisions and I would agree that opportunities in this field are definitely growing with automation much faster than quality management.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I find your reason for considering the Data Science program a little too high level. WHY are you interested in taking it? WHAT are you trying to achieve/be? HOW will this program enable you to achieve that goal?

If your reasons for taking the course are purely professional (i.e., not something you're also passionate about), I would question if the program is for your.

It is difficult to offer any advice about the course if we don't know WHAT you want to be 5 years from now...10 years from now...15 years from now...

You need to know what your goal is...you to want that goal..in order to figure out what is the best path to achieve it.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Here is a pattern you might consider investigating.

A new fad takes industry by storm. (Consultants in particular, love new fads. They hype the heck out of them.) Industry needs skilled labor to pursue the fad. It tells the diploma mills that it is going to need untold numbers of people with those skills, for as far as the eye can see. The diploma mills, sensing a new business opportunity, gear up and start cranking them out. Recruiters, sensing chum in the water, begin hyping as well. Early grads are snatched up and showered with ka-ching. Next wave, pretty good. Next wave, okay. Next wave...hey, everybody said this was a hot job market! What happened?!? All later waves...you are a dime-a-dozen commodity, because supply has now wildly outstripped demand, for as far as the eye can see.

I said consider investigating. I am not looking for a new career, so I haven't investigated anything, but it seems to me that things go this way, maybe a lot. Lifecycles are not limited to products.

What has happened with "Lean"? (I ask, because I don't know.) What has happened to everyone who was going to earn the big bucks working for Google? (I ask because I don't know. But I do sometimes wonder if Google single-handedly brought on the student loan crisis.)

Mostly, when I hear something being repeated every 10 seconds, I think something is probably amiss here. Data S-word, in particular, color me very skeptical, up to and including that there actually is such a thing, whether it is anything remotely approximately a science, may instead be much closer to a religion, and, more simply put, be more like all the widely hyped "AI" that is really the same old automation that's been around since the 70s.

Speaking of lifecycles, that goes for careers as well. The answer to your question (and to most career-oriented questions) is not one size fits all for everyone at all different stages of their careers. Probably a lot depends on where you are in yours.

RW451

Registered
Silex7,

Apparently asking a bunch of quality folk if you try something different is equivalent to asking a group of Homeopaths if you should consider surgery. You'll get a lot of advise but not much of it relevant.

You probably need to find people outside this forum familiar with the data science field.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
But if the job - or the believed evolution of the job - is not what the OP is interested in or believes in or is passionate about, then I question the value in spending both time and money on pursing the degree in the field.

If the OP has aspirations to lead a company, for example, then I'd offer that pursing education in business would be more value-add than data science.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Silex7,

Apparently asking a bunch of quality folk if you try something different is equivalent to asking a group of Homeopaths if you should consider surgery. You'll get a lot of advise but not much of it relevant.

You probably need to find people outside this forum familiar with the data science field.
Interesting opinion. Curious why you believe that the advice offered thus far has been irrelevant and why you are presuming that people who work in the field of quality are unfamiliar with data science.

Randy

Super Moderator
There's nothing wrong with an education, there's nothing wrong with specialization, but ask yourself will Data Science ensure better opportunity in personal work growth enhancement or is it more likely to be a stepping stone to a 7-11, Starbucks or Mickey D's counter. I've a brother with a degree in history, a nephew with a degree in psychology and a niece going for a degree in liberal studies....Wanna guess what they're doing?

Unless you really know your education is going to attract a moth (potential employer) to a flame (you) why waste the effort and money?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
CCaantley Stepping Down from my quality manager position soon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Kronos147 Quality Manager's Role in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
I Auto Industry Resume Template for a Quality Manager Career and Occupation Discussions 2
F Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Quality Assurance Manager ? Next Steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L What are some SOPs that a Quality Manager should have? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
K New Quality Manager Role Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
A Shall I apply for this job position (Quality Manager)? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
J Lead Auditor and Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Can a Quality Manager be a Lead ISO 9001 Auditor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
K What would you do in the first 90 days of a new job as the Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 33
1 Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
F What Training should a Quality Manager have? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 32
L Product Manager vs. Quality Manager: Who is right? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
D Designing a Training Course called "Role of the Laboratory Quality Manager" Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
J Is this practice common? 1 Quality Manager covering QA, QC, QE, SQE IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M What qualifications should a Quality Assurance Manager have? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
G Definition Quality Manager - What is the definition of a Quality Manager? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
R Quality Manager Reporting to Director of Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Quality Manager Weekly Report Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
L How to improve Product Quality - New Job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C New Quality Manager - Establishing Teams in different Business Units Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
P Does the Quality Manager have to be a Senior Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C Is a "Designee" List needed? For example: "Quality Manager or designee" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S HR Manager refusing to create Quality Objectives - Is this a Non-Conformity? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
Q ASQ CQM (Certified Quality Manager)/OE Certification Exam Preparation Materials Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
K Goal - Quality Manager at Global Company Career and Occupation Discussions 9
J Annual Strategic Planning Session - How can a Quality Manager contribute? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
J Quality Manager Exam Reference Material that would be Worth the Investment Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A Advice for a barely promoted Quality and Compliance Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
P Daily Rate to bill for a Site Quality Manager - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Taking over duties from a Quality Manager who left - Taken for a ride? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
K Calibration questions from newly appointed quality manager General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B Small company where the Quality Manager and HR manager is the same person ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Advice for future QM (Quality Manager) in automotive Career and Occupation Discussions 29
S QA (Quality Assurance) and RA (Regulatory Affairs) Manager Job Description Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
Ajit Basrur Roles and Responsibilities - Quality Manager, Lab Manager and Technical Manager ? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5