Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Quality manager considering data science

I've a brother with a degree in history, a nephew with a degree in psychology and a niece going for a degree in liberal studies....Wanna guess what they're doing?
I have a nephew who horrified his parents by pursuing his passion, Irish History....all the way to a PhD. A small but well-funded college hired him before the ink was dry on his dissertation, to establish an undergraduate program in Irish History.

With a BA in psychology, I ended up in device RA, working with PMAs, design dossiers for Class III devices. I didn't find out that this was my passion until I turned 40.

You never know where life will take you. Enjoy the journey.

asking a bunch of quality folk if you try something different
You probably need to find people outside this forum familiar with the data science field.
Why? For many quality folk, quality management is the different thing they tried.

Beyond that, one reason he's considering a change is that he is uncertain about the future of quality management. I don't think people familiar with data s-word are the ones to address this question. He also seems to be interested in how data s-word might impact quality management, I think people in quality management are in a better position to address this than people in data s-word.

Certainly he would do well to talk to folks who are familiar with the data s-word field in order to to learn more about data s-word, but that doesn't seem to be what he's asking.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Knowing your inherent interests, abilities and strengths is important for your happiness at work. That probably is the most important consideration to your career choices provided you acquire competencies that are valued.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Thank you very much everyone for your your helpful guides, I really admire everyone' opinion and this is why I indeed I intended to speak here in this forum with people like you.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Silex7,

Apparently asking a bunch of quality folk if you try something different is equivalent to asking a group of Homeopaths if you should consider surgery. You'll get a lot of advise but not much of it relevant.

You probably need to find people outside this forum familiar with the data science field.
''RW451'' , I disagree with your point , I am definitely asking the right people since we are in the same boat , and there's indeed quite correlation at some point for the profession with data science , but in versa , I am not quite sure they would understand my point ( maybe Quality software will).

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
I find your reason for considering the Data Science program a little too high level.
Quite agree about this , at least nowadays it's indeed too high.

WHY are you interested in taking it? WHAT are you trying to achieve/be? HOW will this program enable you to achieve that goal?

If your reasons for taking the course are purely professional (i.e., not something you're also passionate about), I would question if the program is for your.
Well , the passion is indeed exist , academically I will be satisfied ( I mean no complains with math / statistics.. etc. since this is already my academic background , maybe need to dig more into programming). But professionally , I still not sure if future opportunity will pop up after spending this time in learning ( ofcourse I will be still a quality manager in my position , I am I am not going to drop my current career for unknown destiny) but in term of money and time , I can't be 100% sure if this investment will be dominated in the next 10 years planning ( I am speaking here in terms of real life and society surprise, my own belief truly believes it would).

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Beyond that, one reason he's considering a change is that he is uncertain about the future of quality management. I don't think people familiar with data s-word are the ones to address this question. He also seems to be interested in how data s-word might impact quality management, I think people in quality management are in a better position to address this than people in data s-word.

Certainly he would do well to talk to folks who are familiar with the data s-word field in order to to learn more about data s-word, but that doesn't seem to be what he's asking.
Exactly, you read my mind.

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
I would like to give my opinion in this topic since I have been considering the same thing for a while.

In my opinion Data Science is a good complement to Quality, not just for the knowledge that you acquire but for the tools and mindset that you can achieve from that knowledge.

Maybe, as someone have point, you must target a more introductive course and then expand your studies from there.

Also one interesting branch from data science in big data that is, in my opinion, part of the future of quality.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
I would like to give my opinion in this topic since I have been considering the same thing for a while.

In my opinion Data Science is a good complement to Quality, not just for the knowledge that you acquire but for the tools and mindset that you can achieve from that knowledge.

Maybe, as someone have point, you must target a more introductive course and then expand your studies from there.

Also one interesting branch from data science in big data that is, in my opinion, part of the future of quality.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, I have the same thought as well. I think we are moving to a competitive future, even if this expectation is too high at the moment , but certainly it will come.

Top Bottom