Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001

R

RussG1961

Complete noob here.

I have recently been delegated as our companies Quality Systems Manager.

I am currently developing an "ISO Certification Project Timeline" chart that was requested by a potential customer. ( profitable account ).

We have met with an consultant and have elected to do much of the work ourselves (me) In the Creation of our QMS, Policy and implementation thereof.

We are a small steel grinding shop. 2 machine operators, President, Salesman, Shop Foreman, Every other Hat guy (me). Thats 10 total. :D

The question i have is regarding the "training" of the Quality Manager (me).

1. Would you recommend a "training kit"or simply take the time to study and get a grasp on the ISO 9001:2008 Standard? ( which i am confident i can do )

2. Would you include such training in the project timeline? If yes, How would you label the "task assigned to" row, if said training is the study of the "ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems-Requirements." Booklet ?

Thanks in advance

Russ G.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

keres

Re: Quality Manager Training Methods

LRQA is the best training organization for these purposes.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Welcome to the Cove Russ :bigwave:

Nice challenge you have ahead of you but you sound positive about it and you have discovered a great source of information here at the Cove.

Certainly learning what ISO 9001 means (not just what it says) to your organisation is a 'must have' with regards to your knowledge for the job but there is more to the role than that.

I am in the UK so it is no good to you directly but I run a course for people who have become the new management representative within their organisation. One of the first things we do is an exercise to identify the tasks that this person may have to fulfill, the results are quite interesting.

They typically include looking after: document control, records, internal audits, management review, nonconformance control, customer feedback - good and bad, etc. You get the idea.

So I would certainly consider attending an awareness course on ISO 9001, an internal auditor course before too long and perhaps a course on how to be the management rep, I am sure that if there isn't a public offering in your area, 1 of the excellent people on this forum based in the US can put something together for you. Oh, and don't forget to keep asking question here too.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
LRQA Recommendation

LRQA is the best training organization for these purposes.
Are you speaking from experience having taken an LRQA course? There are many training organizations out there, large and small that provide excellent training (not to mention all the materials here for free). What is it about LRQA that brings you to recommend them as "the best"?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Learning and Implementing ISO 9001

<snip> 1. Would you recommend a "training kit"or simply take the time to study and get a grasp on the ISO 9001:2008 Standard? (which i am confident i can do) <snip>
2. Would you include such training in the project timeline? If yes, How would you label the "task assigned to" row, if said training is the study of the "ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems-Requirements." Booklet ? <snip>
If your time line is starting from scratch (as in "What is ISO 9001?"), then it would probably be a good idea to include it.

R

RussG1961

Thanks for the speedy input all.

colpart:

I was wondering what your opinion might be as regarding question number 2?

2. Would you include such training in the project timeline? If yes, How would you label the "task assigned to" row, if said training is the "study" of the "ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems-Requirements." Booklet ?

I fully plan to attend some or all of the training you and others might recommend.

However, the main task i have to complete this week is this "ISO Certification Project timeline" which was requested by a customer. (Sales and CEO is pushing me! )

We have met with the customers internal ISO Rep who is very knowledgeable in all things ISO and several industry management standards.

He stated that it was in his best interest to work with us on our endeavor to get ISO Registered and said he wouldn't "hold us hard and fast to a date".

He did however ask for a "road map" to ISO Certification so he could report to his company in good confidence that we are serious about ISO and have a plan to to get there.

So would you include such training as part of the "timeline" or just let said customer assume that your company has taken the necessary steps to see to it that all involved in the project are competent.

Thanks RussG

K

keres

Re: LRQA Recommendation

I studied 2 courses in LRQA – Internal Auditor and Lead Auditor. These courses are approved by IRCA.
For me these courses were very useful. I recommended LRQA to help, not for advertising.
Probably there are many good training organizations but in I know more about LRQA.

R

RussG1961

Re: Learning and Implementing ISO 9001

Marc. Thanks so much for your input. It is very helpful.

Marc

Staff member
Admin

<snip> So would you include such training as part of the "timeline" or just let said customer assume that your company has taken the necessary steps to see to it that all involved in the project are competent. <snip>
I would not put it on a time line which I was going to give to a customer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F What Training should a Quality Manager have? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 32
D Designing a Training Course called "Role of the Laboratory Quality Manager" Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
CCaantley Stepping Down from my quality manager position soon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Kronos147 Quality Manager's Role in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
I Auto Industry Resume Template for a Quality Manager Career and Occupation Discussions 2
F Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
C Quality Assurance Manager ? Next Steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L What are some SOPs that a Quality Manager should have? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
K New Quality Manager Role Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
A Shall I apply for this job position (Quality Manager)? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
J Lead Auditor and Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Can a Quality Manager be a Lead ISO 9001 Auditor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
K What would you do in the first 90 days of a new job as the Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 33
1 Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
L Product Manager vs. Quality Manager: Who is right? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
J Is this practice common? 1 Quality Manager covering QA, QC, QE, SQE IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M What qualifications should a Quality Assurance Manager have? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
G Definition Quality Manager - What is the definition of a Quality Manager? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
R Quality Manager Reporting to Director of Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Quality Manager Weekly Report Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
L How to improve Product Quality - New Job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C New Quality Manager - Establishing Teams in different Business Units Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
P Does the Quality Manager have to be a Senior Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C Is a "Designee" List needed? For example: "Quality Manager or designee" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S HR Manager refusing to create Quality Objectives - Is this a Non-Conformity? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
Q ASQ CQM (Certified Quality Manager)/OE Certification Exam Preparation Materials Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
K Goal - Quality Manager at Global Company Career and Occupation Discussions 9
J Annual Strategic Planning Session - How can a Quality Manager contribute? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
J Quality Manager Exam Reference Material that would be Worth the Investment Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A Advice for a barely promoted Quality and Compliance Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
P Daily Rate to bill for a Site Quality Manager - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Taking over duties from a Quality Manager who left - Taken for a ride? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
K Calibration questions from newly appointed quality manager General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B Small company where the Quality Manager and HR manager is the same person ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Advice for future QM (Quality Manager) in automotive Career and Occupation Discussions 29
S QA (Quality Assurance) and RA (Regulatory Affairs) Manager Job Description Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
Ajit Basrur Roles and Responsibilities - Quality Manager, Lab Manager and Technical Manager ? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5