Quality Manager Training Methods - Learning and Implementing ISO 9001

J

JaneB

Re: Quality Manager Training Methods

Don't forget, developing manuals ans procedures is our (consultants) business and like other jobs, you get used to doing things more quickly when you need to.
Just so. As consultants, it is our business and of course we're quicker at it. (Or should be!)

Given the previous comment, I went and looked at the plan & time allowed. Agree it's fairly tight, but for a very small company, simple system, it could be done.

But I can see why Keres would raise a query about it. In a bigger/more complex company and/or someone with little/no experience - yes, 1.5 days for a quality manual is completely unrealistic.

Congrats on the good result, Colin.

J

JaneB

Thanks for the speedy input all.

colpart:

I was wondering what your opinion might be as regarding question number 2?

2. Would you include such training in the project timeline? If yes, How would you label the "task assigned to" row, if said training is the "study" of the "ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems-Requirements." Booklet ?

I fully plan to attend some or all of the training you and others might recommend.

However, the main task i have to complete this week is this "ISO Certification Project timeline" which was requested by a customer. (Sales and CEO is pushing me! )

We have met with the customers internal ISO Rep who is very knowledgeable in all things ISO and several industry management standards.

He stated that it was in his best interest to work with us on our endeavor to get ISO Registered and said he wouldn't "hold us hard and fast to a date".

He did however ask for a "road map" to ISO Certification so he could report to his company in good confidence that we are serious about ISO and have a plan to to get there.

So would you include such training as part of the "timeline" or just let said customer assume that your company has taken the necessary steps to see to it that all involved in the project are competent.

Thanks RussG
Russ, another Cove regular also posted a good Excel-based generic project plan. I'll see if I can find it, because I don't recall who it was. One of the moderators, possibly.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Just so. As consultants, it is our business and of course we're quicker at it. (Or should be!)

Given the previous comment, I went and looked at the plan & time allowed. Agree it's fairly tight, but for a very small company, simple system, it could be done.

But I can see why Keres would raise a query about it. In a bigger/more complex company and/or someone with little/no experience - yes, 1.5 days for a quality manual is completely unrealistic.

Congrats on the good result, Colin.

Thanks Jane, I do agree that for someone doing their first manual it is not nearly enough time - not just for the manual but the whole process.

J

JaneB

Russ, sorry, searched, but couldn't find it (which ain't helpful I know).

Re. 'buy a training kit', I would definitely not. Waste of money. I haven't seen anything that's worth it and I've looked at quite a few. Do a training course of a couple of days (say)? Yes - definitely worth it, if you use a good supplier. Do check out who you're doing it with first: there's average through to very good around. Get responses from people who've been - like Keres for example - I've had similar responses from client personnel who've attended LRQA courses. But there are other good CBs too, some of who have people who are and regulars in the Cove and about whom anecdotal feedback is good. (As Marc points out, it's always preferable for people to recommend based on experience or real knowledge).

There's also heaps of info available if you have the nouse (and time!!) to hunt it down. A lot comes back to how you like to learn... and how much time you have.

J

JRKH

Russ,
First of all welcome to the cove - I can tell you from personal experience that you have just found the best resourse on line for you in this or any future situation.
Not only are these people highly knowledgable and diverse, but you will quickly find they are great friends and collegues who never make on feel "ignorant" or "foolish" for any - and I mean any question...
In my very humble opinion this makes the Cove your best overall training platform. (not that a formal "training course" isn't a bad idea)

You are going to find that a lot of what you need to do is really just "common sense". There are exceptions to that of course - especially when it comes to some customer requirements...:frust::lmao::notme:

All kidding aside you are entering on a fastinating journey and I wish you all the best.

Now that I've buttered you up and scored some points with Marc here....My actual advice...
Don't be afraid to tap you customer for help. Since this move is customer driven and you are a very small shop and you are very new to this whole thing ----Don't hesitate to call them and perhaps even vist them to see and learn how they do things. Depending on how big they are there may be a lot or a little that is directly useful...but in any event you cand develop a relationship with one or more folks over there and possibly even have a resourse on their staff that you could call when you have a specific question or concern...
When I was setting up a quality program I did just this. I was quite unihibited about calling my friends, swiping and adapting their forms I even aquired copies of their quality manuals to help build my own....
If my experience is any guage, they will be happy to try and help where they can. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't like to be asked to share their "expertise".....

Peace
James

B

Bill Mitchell

Complete noob here.

I have recently been delegated as our companies Quality Systems Manager.

I am currently developing an "ISO Certification Project Timeline" chart that was requested by a potential customer. ( profitable account ).

We have met with an consultant and have elected to do much of the work ourselves (me) In the Creation of our QMS, Policy and implementation thereof.

We are a small steel grinding shop. 2 machine operators, President, Salesman, Shop Foreman, Every other Hat guy (me). Thats 10 total. :D

The question i have is regarding the "training" of the Quality Manager (me).

1. Would you recommend a "training kit"or simply take the time to study and get a grasp on the ISO 9001:2008 Standard? ( which i am confident i can do )

2. Would you include such training in the project timeline? If yes, How would you label the "task assigned to" row, if said training is the study of the "ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems-Requirements." Booklet ?

Thanks in advance

Russ G.
I would recommend you take a variety of training and continue to over time. Based on the size of the company you are and will be the expert.

I would suggest:

Understanding, Implementing and Documeneting ISO
Internal Auditor for ISO

These would be a good starting point.

R

RussG1961

Thank's Bill.

I will take your advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom