Quality Manual Content - Extended debate - Updated Quality Manual for ISO 9001:2008

J

JaneB

Re: Updated Quality Manual for ISO 9001:2008

dmahadeo,
Good for you. Sounds like you have a very well-thought out, practical and effective plan of action, and the experience and change agent attributes needed.
As you say,
I have "buy-in" from the top, but we need some "wins", then I can kick the Auditor to the curb.
This kind of auditor makes me really, really mad :mad: Good practical plan though. I applaud you.

Thanks for all the reassurance, I was beginning to think I was completely "left field" in my "interpretation" of the standard!
Nope. Does help to get some feedback though, doesn't it? I had a dreadful experience with a couple of deeply, deeply literal and narrow-minded auditors once (after many years of experience). Left me so stunned by their rigid interpretation that I had to shut up at the time (for the clients' sake), then go away and discuss with a couple of other colleagues. Whose open-mouthed - they said what??? they did what????? really helped.

By the way I used that word (interpretation)and it caused him to go ballistic, actually threatening to write a NC if I said it again.
Words fail me (almost)... I'd love to see that one. :nope: And this from a man who insists on 'only 6 procedures' (I'm still steamed by that one). We have a rather graphic curse down here that seems rather apt "May his chooks turn into emus and kick his dunny door down". (OK, it's rather low-level humour, comes from an old Aust. movie).

Yes, it is 'English'. But language isn't always 'interpreted' exactly the same by everyone. And oh yes, some of it is interpreted/understood by different people in different ways. (Just witness the thousands of posts and almost as many points of view in the Cove for example, let alone the appeals to the Technical Committee for rulings!)
I wanted to tell him.. so is the Bible and we have 632 denominations all with different spins on it!
:lol: :lol:
Congratulations. Admirable self-restraint!

D

dmahadeo

Been a great help....This forum is good its global so there are different viewpoints, In a weird way the ISO9001:1994 was a lot better than the current one lol!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

It's not just that its global, there are so many different companies of different sizes and shapes and forms and processes and products represented by people who visit and participate that you get a *really* wide range of how different companies operate. I know it's my forum so I'm biased, but that's the real value I see here.

J

jguns

Hey everybody ! Have been on (or around) this site for a while, but now really need your help.
I have just started at a small manufacturing place that wants to get ISO 9001:2008 certified. Can you take a look at my manual ? Please be gentle..

Attachments

• manual.doc
    382 KB · Views: 868
J

JaneB

Can you take a look at my manual ? Please be gentle..

Are you looking for real feedback, or do you just want to be told what you want to hear?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

Can you take a look at my manual ? Please be gentle..
I'm with Jane - you may not get both... I plan to be brutally honest, because I think that's what you need. Anyway, I gave the manual a quick skim, and here are my comments:

- The manual claims exemption to clause 7.5.1.2, which doesn't exist in ISO 9001:2008. :confused:
- The manual doesn't describe the interaction of the company processes. Instead it simply pastes process names on the process model diagram from the standard.
- The quality policy statement doesn't address continual improvement as required. It is written in future tense, implying that you don't do it now, but will in the future. "Meet or exceed" sounds too cliche. Besides, if the customer has a max tolerance do you really plan to exceed it? I hope not. :nope:
- The manual mostly regurgitates the text of the standard. If that's what you want, and what the users need, then it might be passable. I'm sure that Jane will disagree. ;)
- The manual text was clearly based on ISO 9001:2000 and not 2008. All clarifications and improvements in the new version are absent. :read:
- The manual cleverly avoids reference to production and validation of processes (clauses 7.5.1 and 7.5.2). I suspect this wasn't intentional because it was written for a manufacturing company. :mg:
- Section 3.1 refers to a picture of equipment that isn't in the manual. Text copied from a company brochure? This section is also in need of a good grammar check.
- Barack Obama is the company president? :rolleyes:

:2cents: I hope I haven't been too brutal. :whip:

P

Polly Pure Bread

1.1 Exclusions
Section 7.5.1.2. Servicing: XXX Manufacturing does not provide servicing of products. Servicing activities are handled exclusively by our customers.

I'm with Jane - you may not get both... I plan to be brutally honest, because I think that's what you need. Anyway, I gave the manual a quick skim, and here are my comments:

- The manual claims exemption to clause 7.5.1.2, which doesn't exist in ISO 9001:2008. :confused:

I think he is referring to 7.5.1f the implementation of release, delivery and post-delivery activities.

- The manual doesn't describe the interaction of the company processes. Instead it simply pastes process names on the process model diagram from the standard.
I agree with Steve. No description of Process Interactions.

Also, I don’t see the established quality objectives at relevant functions and levels. Probaly because

- The quality policy statement doesn't address continual improvement as required. It is written in future tense, implying that you don't do it now, but will in the future. "Meet or exceed" sounds too cliche. Besides, if the customer has a max tolerance do you really plan to exceed it? I hope not. :nope:
- The manual mostly regurgitates the text of the standard. If that's what you want, and what the users need, then it might be passable. I'm sure that Jane will disagree. ;)
- The manual text was clearly based on ISO 9001:2000 and not 2008. All clarifications and improvements in the new version are absent. :read:
- The manual cleverly avoids reference to production and validation of processes (clauses 7.5.1 and 7.5.2). I suspect this wasn't intentional because it was written for a manufacturing company. :mg:
XXX ManufacturingQuality Policy

“With qualified employees XXX will produce products to meet or exceed all customer specifications and requirements including on time deliveries. This is to result in total customer satisfaction.”

Involve your Top Management. The whole organization should be committed to your Quality Policy and you should live by it. Suggest to mention your partnerships with your suppliers and how you facilitate continual improvement.
- Section 3.1 refers to a picture of equipment that isn't in the manual. Text copied from a company brochure? This section is also in need of a good grammar check.
- Barack Obama is the company president? :rolleyes:

:2cents: I hope I haven't been too brutal. :whip:

On Quality Records. Why mention specific records if these are incomplete?
The records to be controlled include, but are not limited to be as follows:

· Final Inspection Records
· Training Records
· Process Instructions
· Calibration Records
· Corrective Action Reports
· Management Review Results

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polly Pure Bread

This isn't something I'd expect to see in any quality manual at all.

Yes I revisited 4.2.2 Quality Manual.. quality objectives are not included.

Does it mean it is more than just documenting the quality objectives and putting in the quality manual?

please shed some light on this

AndyN

Moved On

Hey everybody ! Have been on (or around) this site for a while, but now really need your help.
I have just started at a small manufacturing place that wants to get ISO 9001:2008 certified. Can you take a look at my manual ? Please be gentle..

You may wish to make your 'Be Gentle Statement' in caps and bold too!

Well, I fell asleep reading it, because I've read the ISO standard before and that's what it does to me! Your description of the company is nice but a bit too long (ever considered a picture of the shop floor as a background?) then you can list equipment if you really need to!

That is not your 'sequnce and interaction' diagram for your QMS. Not in a million years - it's from the ISO standard/guidance. Draw your own, there's much more benefit to that! All this kind of stuff has been discussed in numerous previous posts here.

I feel like Piers Morgan on America's Got Talent - there's some good 'bits' in there but over all? X

Sorry!

Top Bottom