Quality Manual Format (Originator - James Gutherson)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

I would suggest that first, you review Marc's documentation map at the Cove. Second, why not create a hybrid of ISO 9002 and what you are currently doing (combine and translate into your language). It has been my best experience that the quality manual should be a collection of policies. The actual procedures detail what you will do. The standard says WHAT you shall do. You decide what you WILL do. I would like to be able to offer more, but without more deatils of what you do now, I cannot help at this time. By e-mail or post, I will provide what I can.

Best Regards,

Don

[This message has been edited by Don Winton.]

S

Scott Knutson

James -
While I don't have any hard copy examples that I could show you, I have seen several different approaches to quality manuals, including a 3" by 5" booklet that just stated all of that company's policies. I just finished some work with a company that did their manual as a flow diagram. Ultimately, you can put your manual together any way you like, since the standard just says that you "shall prepare a quality manual covering the requirements of this internation standard."

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I don't have any examples, but I will say your 'key to survival' will be a cross-reference matrix linking ISO clauses to your document.

D

Don Winton

James,
Scott is absolutely correct. The range and scope of your QM is entirely up to you. You decide the format and content. Also, follow Marc's advice and be sure to cross-reference the QM to the applicable sections of ISO 9002.
Don

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Why not share your words of wisdom with all of us, Don ?

Lets get this forum active...daily...some times there is very little activity and gets discouraging.

J

James Gutherson

Barb,
Sorry I dragged Don away from the public forum, He just had a few comments on a multi-page document I sent to him which would not have made sence to others.
Don, I will collate our correspondance and post it here if that is allright with you?
You'll just have to give me a few days as I got a major audit due today, and my High School Reunion over the weekend! (It's Friday already here in Australia)
James Gutherson.

D

Don Winton

James, Post as you see fit. Any comments I publish (e-mail or otherwise) are subject to public domain. Comments welcome!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Best format for a combination ISO 9001/ISO 13485 Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
U New Part 21.137 Quality Manual format example in Word format Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
F Format of a Quality Manual with Multiple Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Supplier Quality Manual and Supplier Quality System Audit Format Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T Does a Quality Manual have to be in the format of ISO 9001:2000? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 41
G Question - Supplier Quality Manual: Content, Purpose, Format? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
V Changing the structure or the format of the Quality Manual - Indentions Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
S What is the best format for an Intranet Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Quality Manual for 2nd site Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A Supporting Site Quality Manual and References Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Quality Manual for a Quality Plan (Manufacturing secrets?) Request Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J How to address IATF 16949 clause 5.1.1.1 in my Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R ISO 9001:2015 Transition Quality Manual Update - Redundant Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P AS9100 rev D Quality Manual wanted - 2017 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
B Integrated Quality Manual ISO 13485:2003 ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Concerning procedures within Quality Manual ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
I Quality Manual Upgrade from AS9100 C to D Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
A AS9100D Quality Manual & Procedures needed Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
J AS9100 Rev D Quality Manual Rewritten - Feedback Appreciated Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
M IATF:16949 Common Quality Manual - Company is in Country A and Country B Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
Y Quality Management System Manual (Wood Manufacturing Company) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q Do we really need a traditional Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B AS9100 Rev D Quality Manual - How are you organizing? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
J IATF 16949 Quality Manual Template IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
K Quality Manual for a Virtual Company (Medical Device) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
T Has anyone completed the AS9100D Quality Manual transition? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
F Quality Manual Updates - ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 9th Editition Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
W Extensive Quality Manual Changes Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
smryan Why would a Quality Manual be "Proprietary"? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
M How important is a Quality Manual - ISO 9001:2008 to 9001:2015 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
S How many times do you have the term 'Requirements' in your Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Is there any difference between QUALITY SYSTEM RECORD & QUALITY MANUAL 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Large vs. Small Quality Manual - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 4.2.2 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J Service Industry Quality Manual and Product Realization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Printing a single Page from a Quality Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Quality Manual - Taking a Different Approach Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S Quality Manual and ISO TS 16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Making Amendments to a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
S Addition in the Scope of Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S What is the difference between an API Q1 and API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
S How to document "Exclusions" in the Quality Manual AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 26
Q TL 9000 8.4.V.1 Quality Manual in a Service Company Service Industry Specific Topics 3
C Incremental revisions to Quality Manual, and Training Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Is a Quality Manual part of a 510k Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1