Quality Manual on a Network - Authorising Signatures - How do we handle?

T

tomjess

Manual on the network

I am puuting our companies quality manual on the network. This will control the documention control.

There will be only certain persons in the company who will be able to print it off, but the copies will have uncontrolled document across the copies. So at no time will there be any contolled copies in circulation.

On our hard copies we have the following:

Authorising Signature:

On the electric version I don't need this do I?

Happy New year to those who read this.

Thanking you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

tomjess:

It is possible to get away from a handwritten signature for an electronic document. You can use a secure server, and authorize only certain people the permission to write to that server. You can also use an Acrobat .pdf file that is difficult to change.

The main goal here is to make sure that the copy in use has been reviewed by the appropriate parties, that the copy in use is current, and the system protects the integrity of the document. From your description of your system, I would remove the signature line. Make sure your document procedure does not state that you have to have this signature. If it does, revise that, to make your new system comply.

I am no expert on the subject of electronic systems, but there are some people frequenting this forum who have experience with just this type of thing. I'm sure they will offer advice soon.

Have a great New Year!

Craig

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Tomjess,

I'm sure you can get by with saying the QM is secure and controlled by using a write password with access limited to perhaps you and the approving party or parties -- this is a common scheme. As for the approval part, I dunno, maybe if everyone approving it tells the auditor (if asked) that yes, they did approve it prior to posting you might be okay there, too, or using e-signatures that some here have mentioned using would certainly work. Personally, (and this is just a personal preference, I'm not saying it is an ISO requirement) I prefer to have one hardcopy with written signatures of the approving person(s). This leaves no doubt (internally or externally) that it was reviewed and approved and often comes in handy to carry to the conference room to show customers our QM if/when asked. Sometimes the customer will want an uncontrolled hardcopy instead of an e-copy, so this hardcopy again makes it easy to make a copy for the customer, complete with signatures. Just a personal preference.

C

Craig H.

Mike:

We, too have 1 copy of the QM that is signed, green boarder, etc. Since we still use mostly paper, this is the only controlled copy - the rest are not.

The system works well for us, and it would solve tomjess' approval problem. I would either omit the approval line for the electronic copy, or, even better, just type in the names that signed the paper copy.

Tomjess, does this help?

Craig

J

Jimmy Olson

Tom,

I thought you considered this forum to be a flop and were dissapointed in it. Yet here you are asking questions and saying that the answers are good and have given you ideas. Having trouble making up your mind? :vfunny: :vfunny: :vfunny:

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here's how we handle this. Our entire Quality Manual is on the Intranet in .html format. The directory is write protected to everyone but myself. Any copies that get printed from this directory have a time stamp and a note that it is only viable for 24 hours after printing. Document changes had been made using signatures on hard copies, but now we use email saving the approvals as .msg files in the proper directory for each document making subsequent approvals easier. Havn't had any problem from any of our auditors since going this route. I do keep 2 hard copies for Internal Auditing.

A

Aaron Lupo

Re: Manual on the network

tomjess said:

I am puuting our companies quality manual on the network. This will control the documention control.

There will be only certain persons in the company who will be able to print it off, but the copies will have uncontrolled document across the copies. So at no time will there be any contolled copies in circulation.

On our hard copies we have the following:

Authorising Signature:

On the electric version I don't need this do I?

Happy New year to those who read this.

Thanking you in advance
Tom-
I am not sure what your company does, however, if you are using electronic documents you need to look at the requirements in 21 CFR PART11 if you work in the Medical/Pharmaceutical industry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B Quality manual for automotive industry wanted Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Quality Manual for 2nd site Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A Supporting Site Quality Manual and References Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Quality Manual for a Quality Plan (Manufacturing secrets?) Request Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J How to address IATF 16949 clause 5.1.1.1 in my Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R ISO 9001:2015 Transition Quality Manual Update - Redundant Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P AS9100 rev D Quality Manual wanted - 2017 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
B Integrated Quality Manual ISO 13485:2003 ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Concerning procedures within Quality Manual ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
I Quality Manual Upgrade from AS9100 C to D Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
A AS9100D Quality Manual & Procedures needed Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
J AS9100 Rev D Quality Manual Rewritten - Feedback Appreciated Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
M IATF:16949 Common Quality Manual - Company is in Country A and Country B Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
Y Quality Management System Manual (Wood Manufacturing Company) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q Do we really need a traditional Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B AS9100 Rev D Quality Manual - How are you organizing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J IATF 16949 Quality Manual Template IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
K Quality Manual for a Virtual Company (Medical Device) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
T Has anyone completed the AS9100D Quality Manual transition? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
F Quality Manual Updates - ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 9th Editition Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
W Extensive Quality Manual Changes Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
smryan Why would a Quality Manual be "Proprietary"? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
M How important is a Quality Manual - ISO 9001:2008 to 9001:2015 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
S How many times do you have the term 'Requirements' in your Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Is there any difference between QUALITY SYSTEM RECORD & QUALITY MANUAL 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Large vs. Small Quality Manual - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 4.2.2 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J Service Industry Quality Manual and Product Realization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Printing a single Page from a Quality Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Quality Manual - Taking a Different Approach Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S Quality Manual and ISO TS 16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Making Amendments to a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
S Addition in the Scope of Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S What is the difference between an API Q1 and API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
S How to document "Exclusions" in the Quality Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
Q TL 9000 8.4.V.1 Quality Manual in a Service Company Service Industry Specific Topics 3
C Incremental revisions to Quality Manual, and Training Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Is a Quality Manual part of a 510k Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Using our parent company's ISO/TS 16949 Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
K Revision History of Quality Manual Missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N ISO 9001 Quality Manual for an O&M (Operations and Maintenance) Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Combined Quality Manual for ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 50001 and OHSAS 18001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Management Commitment signature issue in same Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8