Quality Objective for QMS prior to Certification

Hi All,

This is my first post, I have been lurking in the background and gained a wealth of additional knowledge and insight from here.

I have a question regarding AS9100 and quality objectives..

We have a new facility which is been set up and to be certified to AS9100, form my quality objectives can I use gaining AS as one?

We have only just started doing production and will not have info on our process performances ( Quality - OTD - Etc) for a while or customer feedback.
Audits are scheduled in the next few month so more performance data from there.

We have continue improvement projects on the go, such as streamlining the goods in process so its all done at that point not info sent to office to be booked in on the MRP then info back down such as GRN's to be place on the materials.

So in the mean time is "gaining AS9100" a viable QMS objective for the auditor when it's his time to show up?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome justin76!

System certification is supposed to be an outcome, not a QMS goal although it can be a management goal.

Even though you don't have customer feedback yet, I don't see why you can't set goals and targets.

My chemical plant customers' production processes cite a first-time pass rate of x%
My manufacturing customers' production processes cite a first-time accept rate, or defect rate, of x%
Planned Maintenance can set a goal of x% of PMs performed on schedule, or equipment uptime, or OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness).
Customer Service can set a goal for time needed to respond to a customer query.
Billing can set a goal for first time accuracy.

Having set goals and targets, remember to plan for how to meet them. If Customer service is to return calls within x hours, you might find they will need to adjust their staffing levels and remain aware of how they are performing against their goal as the business progresses, so they can adjust staffing levels if needed.

Over time you might also find your goals need to change. That is perfectly okay for dynamic organizations.

I hope this helps!

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
In 30 years of management systems consulting I’ve not seen certification of any system stated as a quality objective.

Certification will doubtless be a milestone on your organization’s journey to creating more successful customers and other stakeholders.

Better to elicit more ambitious quality objectives from top management.

Thank you for the quick reply's and information.

The link from Sidney is great:read:

Definitely see that gaining AS is more of a business Objective.

So we do have the following based on our quality policy

ZERO CUSTOMER RETURNS
OTD ≥95%
RECEIVESUPPLIER MATERIAL & DOCUMENTATION RIGHT FIRST TIME ON 95% OF DELIVERED PRODUCT

Within the plans for each of the above there is the following recorded:

Objective Reason
Objective Driver
How it will be measured
Actions required
Resources required
Action Owners
Target Dates
Evaluation method
Status / Outcome

These are driven as i say from the QP and aslo the process KPI's

I think maybe I am crossing between Quality objectives, CI and business objects and loosing site of the requirement.

In 30 years of management systems consulting I’ve not seen certification of any system stated as a quality objective.

Certification will doubtless be a milestone on your organization’s journey to creating more successful customers and other stakeholders.

Better to elicit more ambitious quality objectives from top management.
I performed a Stage 1 Audit yesterday where that was one of their KPI. As an auditor I see nothing wrong with it, afterall 6.2.2 requires that you determine when your quality objectives will be completed.

As a consultant (and I certainly wasn't in that role) I would not recommend that indicator though.

There is a basic set I recommend for those starting off. It is based on 9.1.3.
Product Quality
Customer Satisfaction
On-Time Delivery
Supplier Performance

You need to have 2 to 3 months of data at Stage 2 and preferably at stage 1. It doesn't need to be new data. If you have data already present but not tabulated, you can mine it backward for at least some of this. The backward data may not be as accurate as you would like as it was not a focus before, but that doesn't matter as improving on the data shows new focus as well as improvement.

One of the most common measures for product quality starting out that there is likely data for is warranty returns.

It isn't hard to survey a few of your better customers to get a start for customer satisfaction.

On-time delivery is often the least accurate until there is focus on it as often quotes are made from the seat of the pants until you realize that accurate lead times are critical, but start with whatever you find data for.

If you have any kind of ERP or MRP system you likely have some data for supplier performance and that data can be improved with focus on the importance of accuracy. At the beginning it might not be anything more than which suppliers are having trouble with their on-time delivery or their product quality. It could even be done by tracking the NCRs you write against a supplier for quality issues.

Don't make it harder than you need to and just get started.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Customer Quality Objective - Mandatory to have documented inside QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Can we remove a quality objective if we decide it is not measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
qualprod Is a Corrective Action Expected if a Quality Objective is not in compliance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Q Department Expansion as a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
O Is the Quality Objective for Company-wide Training as >90% too high? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
F Quality Objective Reference Chart Customer Complaints 4
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
W Quality Objective clarification - Requirements for "levels within the organization" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
T Quality Objective related Surveillance Audit Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
N How would you approach failing quality objective measurables? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
P Quality Objectives - How can we make our quality objective? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 32
R Can a Quality Policy include Health and Safety as an Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
P Can 'adding a new service' be a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Objective Measureables - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
N Quality Objective - Scrap Measureables ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Quality Objective not being met - Nonconformance or Observation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J Internal Audit NC ISO 9001 Clause Mapping - Quality Objective Achievement Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Criteria for setting a target value against a quality objective/KPI? Benchmarking 6
J Can "Compliance to ALL Requirements" be an Acceptable Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Tracking Delivery Performance - A "Quality Objective" is "On Time Delivery" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
A Difference between a Quality Policy and a Quality Objective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Can CPK be a good manufacturing processor?s quality objective? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
A Can a requirement be a quality objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Is a Sales Growth Objective a 'Quality' Objective ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
K Seeking sample quality objective(s) for IMPEX (Import / Export) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Vision Mission, Quality Policy, Quality Objective, Divisional Objective Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
J Calculating Repeat Business for the purpose of quantifying a Quality Objective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M How to define Quality Objective and How to breakdown ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Objective Tracking - Methods being used to track quality objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M ISO 9001:2000 quality objective vs acceptance criteria ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Quality Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Thee Bouyyy Quality Management System Q1 and Q2 Interpretations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/CD 7101 Health Care Quality Management System Standard Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
K MHLW MO169 2021 Japan Ministerial Ordinance on Standards for Manufacturing Control and Quality Control for Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F So my quality management position is being marginalized by my job. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Quality adjusting inventory in ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
T Add checking aid to quality systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Quality Manager - Aerospace/Defense Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
Evelyn7E Quality is everybody's responsibility Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 29
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Q Product Quality vs Product Defects Manufacturing and Related Processes 4