Quality Objectives ISO 9001:2000 - Is an action plan required?

A

amanbhai

Do we need (neccessary)to have action plan to acheive the Quality objectives in ISO 9001:2000

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
amanbhai said:
Do we need (neccessary)to have action plan to acheive the Quality objectives in ISO 9001:2000

I believe the standard requires that the objectives be measurable and in the event that they aren't met, corrective action would be required. In my opinion.

Coury Ferguson

M

M Greenaway

Clause 5.4.2 talks about planning to meet quality objectives. Now it doesnt state that this plan must be documented, but I would question the validity of an undocumented plan wouldnt you ?

samer

Involved - Posts
you are free for yr objectives planning mechanisms ,but since we are in quality management are not specialized in the field of stratigic planning , we should leave this issue to the expertise people in the organization specilay finance people .

but of course you should have action or performance plan because most comon startigic planning mechanisms like for example BSC is asking for that

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
amanbhai said:

I believe that most of would agree that the format of ISO 9001 is that of Plan-Do-Check-Act.

Your Quality Objectives are part of the Planning portion right? But there is more to them than just defining them. You need to determine the required resources, timeframe, responsibilities/accountabilities, sequence of steps/actions...in essence, a 5W1H (who, what, when, where, why, how).

If you don't properly Plan the Do, when it comes time to Check and planned results where not achieved, how can you effectively Act?

Your Act will probably be to assign responsibilities, develop a timeline to get back on track, etc....sounds like an action plan. And if an action plan was proactively developed at the initial Plan portion, your organization could have been spared the need to be reactionary.

In re-reading this, I realize I sound rather harsh/blunt (I think I took a page from Randy's book this morning ;) ), but in reading the original question, I was stunned. My initial gut reaction was that this was coming from an organization that just wanted the piece of paper on the wall instead of taking the time and committing themselves to the development a useful system. I apologize, ahead of time, if my first instinct was wrong.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
If you don't plan how can you achieve your objectives.
This is one of the things that you see in a lot of companies, lots of objectives and no way to achieve them.:bonk:
You need to monitor your staus and act to improve, all this is a plan and a timetable.

B

Bill Pflanz

When Deming described the Shewhart Cycle of Plan/Do/Study/Act, planning referred to identifying the opportunity for improvement and predicting what changes are necessary for the improvement to occur. It seems to me that the very act of identifying the objectives is the planning part.

In Out of the Crisis, Deming suggested the following questions in Plan.

What could be the most important accomplishments of this team?
What changes might be desirable?
What data are available?
Are new observations needed?

Once these questions are answered, you plan a change or test. The reason planning is prediction is that you are testing the hypothesis that if you make a change it will improve the product or service. The Do step is carrying out that test plan by actually making the change.

The bottom line is that there should be some factual basis for your objectives. In my mind, the objectives should include a statement of where you are now and some idea of where you want to go. Developing plans for what changes you want to make and a hypothesis of what effect it will have is the next step. If you are right and the change results in improvement then you start the cycle over again with new objectives.

Bill Pflanz

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
amanbhai said:

An auditor can ask you what your plan is to achieve your objectives. He can ask what you are doing, and what progress you are making. But the standrad does not specify what format that must be, therefore the auditor cannot specify a format either.

For example, I am trying to lose weight, and I am working my plan. But the only document I have is a progress chart of my weekly weigh in. It demonstrates whether my plan is working.

Now, if it isn't working, it would be approrpiate to ask what the action plan is to get back on track. But the format still is not specified. It might not even be documented.

D

db

Also, remember you are undoubtedly going to have multiple plans. Quality objectives are not singular, and part of those objectives are product dependent. Even if you have an objective for 100% on-time delivery, you might also have a different plan for customer, part number, or part family.

Top Bottom