Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015

I am a quality management consultant. I am really concerned about whether to set OBJECTIVES that should be done first and then THINGS to be done (as stated by the 9001:2015 standard), or to set THINGS to do first, then set TAGETS of them. Is it possible that after defining the context, analyzing risks and opportunities, it will bring out what needs to be done first, then set the results to be achieved. This is more realistic, especially for small businesses.

Please consider my opinion and give me some advice. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
whether to set OBJECTIVES that should be done first and then THINGS to be done
or to set THINGS to do first, then set TAGETS of them.
My sig line is "Purpose, Plan, Progress, Peaches.
Explanation here. (Post #69 on that thread)

End of the day, you have to decide "What am I trying to accomplish?" before you can effectively decide "What should I do?"
Purpose and Plan have to come before Progress.
That's how you maximize the fruit (peaches) of your effort.
You can't effectively set THINGS to do, until you've defined the OBJECTIVE of doing things...

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to The Cove. Please be aware that ISO 9001 has NO REQUIREMENTS for targets. There are numerous discussions here on the difference between objectives and targets. As for the sequence of implementation, take a clue from the ISO Paper available @ ISO9001_2015_Guidance_on_the_Process_Approach.docx where they list the high level steps of implementing, maintaining and improving a QMS via the PDCA cycle.

Big Jim

Welcome to The Cove. Please be aware that ISO 9001 has NO REQUIREMENTS for targets. There are numerous discussions here on the difference between objectives and targets. As for the sequence of implementation, take a clue from the ISO Paper available @ https://committee.iso.org/files/live/sites/tc176sc2/files/documents/ISO 9001 2015 - Implementation guidance docs/ISO9001_2015_Guidance_on_the_Process_Approach.docx where they list the high level steps of implementing, maintaining and improving a QMS via the PDCA cycle.
It's a matter of semantics. Objective, goal, and target are synonymous. An objective is a goal. An objective is a target. You might not find the word target in the standard but it is there in the form of objective.

Big Jim

I am a quality management consultant. I am really concerned about whether to set OBJECTIVES that should be done first and then THINGS to be done (as stated by the 9001:2015 standard), or to set THINGS to do first, then set TAGETS of them. Is it possible that after defining the context, analyzing risks and opportunities, it will bring out what needs to be done first, then set the results to be achieved. This is more realistic, especially for small businesses.

There is more than one way to approach it. Either of the ways you mentioned could work. You might be better served though at the onset to pay attention to the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle as Sidney mentioned.

When you first establish an objective you may have a hard time trying to find an appropriate goal or target from lack of data. Use your best estimate / guess and then revise it when you start getting some data. Expect to change it from time to time as you get better.

Others have different approaches but the approach I use is to start with four basic objectives. The four I use are:
Customer Satisfaction
Product Quality
On-Time Delivery
Supplier Performance

There can be any of several methods of determining to to track each of them so choose what is appropriate for the nature of the business.

Incidentally, these topics didn't come out of thin air. There is at least allusion to them in the standard. They are specifically called out in AS9100D as well (I know, this is a ISO 9001 forum).

Best of luck.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
It's a matter of semantics. Objective, goal, and target are synonymous. An objective is a goal. An objective is a target. You might not find the word target in the standard but it is there in the form of objective.
As in other cases, we will have to concur to disagree on this.

A target implies a numerical quota; something like, e.g., achieve a minimum of 92% on time delivery performance by the end of Q3 2020. An objective could be something as simple as establish a trend of on time delivery performance improvement for the next 4 fiscal quarters.

Having a quota is counterproductive because the people being measured will always find ways to game the count and Deming has clearly reminded us of the silliness of numerical quotas:
  1. Eliminate slogans, exhortations and targets for the workforce.
  2. Eliminate numerical quotas for the workforce and numerical goals for management.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Please be aware that ISO 9001 has NO REQUIREMENTS for targets.
One of the things I love most about the standard...you don't have to aim at anything...as long as you plan and document how you get there {somewhere undefined}.

Big Jim

As in other cases, we will have to concur to disagree on this.

A target implies a numerical quota; something like, e.g., achieve a minimum of 92% on time delivery performance by the end of Q3 2020. An objective could be something as simple as establish a trend of on time delivery performance improvement for the next 4 fiscal quarters.

Having a quota is counterproductive because the people being measured will always find ways to game the count and Deming has clearly reminded us of the silliness of numerical quotas:
  1. Eliminate slogans, exhortations and targets for the workforce.
  2. Eliminate numerical quotas for the workforce and numerical goals for management.
We will have to agree to disagree. Target doesn't imply a numerical quota any more than objective does. Where is the numerical quota when your are aiming a bow & arrow or a firearm at a target?

Thank you for your comments. I know what are ISO 9001:2015 saying. But I would like to know if the standards can be changed a bit to make its requirements easier to apply?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Examples of Quality Objectives related to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H ISO 9001 Quality Objectives Scorecard or Matrix template to share ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Quality Objectives 5.4.1 - KPI SOP - ISO 13485 Audit Observations EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Looking for new Quality Objectives (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T If we are not meeting our Quality Objectives are we ready for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
M Writing Quality Objectives - ISO 13485 Quality Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
P ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Top Management Quality Objectives Missing - ISO 9001:2000 5.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A Quality Objectives ISO 9001:2000 - Is an action plan required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO/TS16949, Clause 6.2.2.4 - Motivating employees to achieve quality objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
CarolX ISO 9001:2000 Clause 8.4 Analysis of Data - Quality Objectives and Analysis of data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 9000:2000 and "Quality Objectives" Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
D ISO 9004:2000 - Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Planning of Realization Processes - Setting Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Farley.0 QMS Sales Goals & Quality Objectives Manufacturing and Related Processes 22
Q Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S Quality Department Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Identifying Objectives & Targets for Quality Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R 5.4.1 Quality Objectives - Nonconformity: The process was not fully effective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
dubrizo If Quality Objectives are not known to employees, is it a Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 7
M Quality Objectives and Monitoring & Measurement of Processes - Clause 8.2.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Corrective Action for Quality Objectives which are not Measureable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T Best place in QMS to manage Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Quality Objectives for Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Are Quality Objectives applicable on HSE Department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Will these Quality Objectives cover the Product Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Presentation for tracking Quality Objectives across sites Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
M Quality Objectives - Acceptable Levels and Functions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
L Changing Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Differences between Quality Objectives and Business KPI's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Where to document Quality Objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6