Quality Objectives. What? How? And How important to the organization?

S

s_warin

Qaulity Objectives. What? How? And How important to the organization?

Please give us your opinion.

And what is the relationship of quality objectives and goals, and key performance indicators (KPI)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I fully agree with Jims opinion about the two categories (Strange... I wonder if I'm coming down with something;) ).

All right, S_warin... Here is an opinion:

Any half decent athlete knows the importance of setting goals, objectives, or whatever. For that reason I find it extemely hard to grasp the fact that so many management groups treat the idea like a dead racoon...:confused:

/Claes

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Claes Gefvenberg said:

Any half decent athlete knows the importance of setting goals, objectives, or whatever. For that reason I find it extemely hard to grasp the fact that so many management groups treat the idea like a dead racoon...:confused:

/Claes
Ah, Claes, you just made my day! I have never been able to figure out why there is such a resistance to letting your goals be known. We all know that there are goals, we listen to managers speak around them at all the staff/employee meetings, right? Nobody wants to come right out and quantify them, though. My opinion is that management type people are taught some class in university that tells them that if they actually speak the goal out load it will not happen. Kind of like telling the 2 year old that they can't tell anyone their birthday wish or it won't come true?

I love your comparison to an athlete, it is absolutely true. In athletics you are trained to relax and focus on that visual video in your mind, seeing exactly what it will take to make you the winner of the competition. I don't know about your management, but some of ours were actually college athletes, they should have the ability to do this. So why is it that one year later, I'm still fighting to get two depts to commit?

I truly feel, at least in our case, that there is a very real fear of failure. Managers do not seem to realize that a goal is a GOAL, not a contract, not a felony in the making. People hate to fail, and if you don't set goals that make you stretch and grow, you don't have to worry about failing.

I tell management to make the goal realistic, but tough enough that it presents a challange. They look at me like I'm crazy. "Why would we want to take the chance of not meeting our goal?" they ask. My answer is that any body can set a goal that you are going to meet anyway, so why not reach for the stars? You might fail to meet the goal 100%, but if you get to 95, 97 or 99% aren't you a lot further ahead than if you would have set the goal at 75% of your potential? But still they focus on the fact that we did not "reach" the goal, therefroe we failed.

Remember, the standard says continuous/continual improvement not continually attaining goals.

OK, I'm stepping down, somebody else can use the soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent!:frust:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
SteelMaiden said:

Ah, Claes, you just made my day! I have never been able to figure out why there is such a resistance to letting your goals be known.
I agree with Steel and Claes about goal setting generally being a good thing and that one's goal(s) should be a bit of a challenge. However, I think I can give some insight as to why SOME Managers fear setting goals, especially challengine ones: Answer: Their Boss or The "Big" Boss

I have been in organizations with less than ideal cultures where the Boss asked everyone to set challenging goals. The Boss and the underlings reviewed the goals, made sure they were aligned with corporate goals, SMART, and agreed upon by all parties, etc. Everything sounded great. But, in several cases, the promised support (time, personnel, or money) that the goal-setter needed was actually never provided as originally agreed, but the goal-setters were still held to their goals at the end of the agreed-upon period. "You have to adapt, overcome, make things happen" they were told, and when their goals were only partly met, they were "punished" by poor reviews. I guess what I'm saying is that SOMETIMES the reason for resistance to goal setting might be a learned behavior analogous to not wanting to touch a hot stove twice. I'd look at that as a possibility and if it doesn't look valid, then look elsewhere. JMO

S

s_warin

Are they the same?

Are the goal, the indicator, the quality objective the same?
Give us some perspectives!
And the meaning of purpose?

The sequence in MBNQA is; (?)
Purpose,
Vision,
Objective,
Goal.

:biglaugh:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Farley.0 QMS Sales Goals & Quality Objectives Manufacturing and Related Processes 22
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S Quality Department Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Examples of Quality Objectives related to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Identifying Objectives & Targets for Quality Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R 5.4.1 Quality Objectives - Nonconformity: The process was not fully effective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
dubrizo If Quality Objectives are not known to employees, is it a Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 7
M Quality Objectives and Monitoring & Measurement of Processes - Clause 8.2.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Corrective Action for Quality Objectives which are not Measureable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T Best place in QMS to manage Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Quality Objectives for Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Are Quality Objectives applicable on HSE Department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Will these Quality Objectives cover the Product Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Presentation for tracking Quality Objectives across sites Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
M Quality Objectives - Acceptable Levels and Functions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
H ISO 9001 Quality Objectives Scorecard or Matrix template to share ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
L Changing Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Differences between Quality Objectives and Business KPI's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Where to document Quality Objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Quality Objectives for Engineering Department and R&D Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
A Quality Objectives 5.4.1 - KPI SOP - ISO 13485 Audit Observations EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Are Explicit Quality Objectives Required? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Quality Objectives - Telephone Calls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Quality Objectives for Aerospace Chemical Conversion & other Surface Treatment Plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Determining Quality Objectives for the Finance Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Looking for new Quality Objectives (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I Are KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) considered as Quality Objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Suitability and Meaning of PED (Pre-Established Dispositions) to Quality Objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Quality Objectives - How can we make our quality objective? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 32