Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to?

J

JackieT

I have had an interesting question posed to me and am looking for other's opinions! Organization facts:
  • Division of a larger company (of unrelated/unregulated divisions)
  • 13485 certified supplier to US/OUS med device companies
  • Division President with Business Development heads, global head of R&D, Global controller, and a COO directly reporting
  • COO has 4 General Manager's of 4 different (WW) manufacturing plants directly reporting
  • Each GM has theor own staff directly reporting comprising of a head of quality, head of engineering, head of manufacturing, controller, etc....
  • Each plant head of quality reports dotted line to the Global head of Quality
Here is the question - Should the Global head of quality report to the COO or to the Division President on the org chart. Pro's/Con's?

Thanks for your opinions. I know what I think, but I'd like to get other's points of view!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jason PCSwitches

[FONT=&quot]Sounds like something that should be discussed at management review!?!?!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Nothing wrong with it but I don't see why you would report to a COO, if you are alluding to Chief Operations Officer. Not to stereotype but they are not "usually" primarily concerned with QMS issues.[/FONT]

jasonb067

Quite Involved in Discussions
COO

This will hopefully avoid confusion in methodologies, goals, etc. in the operations side of the business.

If a COO and Global Quality person had two differing opinions the direction to the operations organization will be clouded regardless of what the Division President would say.

I can see the argument that this person should be reporting to the Division President to ensure Quality is in all aspects (R&D...) but from a functional standpoint I do not think that it works very well in general.

I have seen cases where either one of the two set ups have worked well. It just seems that from memory, considering Quality a part of the Operations organization seems to have been the best in most practices I have seen.

jkuil

Quite Involved in Discussions
I depends on how you have organised your corporation and each company included.
If each site is considered an independent entity, with their own management and their own (certified) quality management system, the site managment including QA must have all required information to manage their site. In order to manage the quality of the compagnies, corporate headquarters will (and must by the FDA's opinion) have means of control in place. I prefer to have linking pins between similar functions, i.e. COO with site managers, global QA with site QA. They will speak each others language and understand each others objectives.
Global and site management reviews are good means by which the efficacy of the control is evaluated.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have had an interesting question posed to me and am looking for other's opinions! Organization facts:
  • Division President with Business Development heads, global head of R&D, Global controller, and a COO directly reporting
  • COO has 4 General Manager's of 4 different (WW) manufacturing plants directly reporting
  • Each GM has theor own staff directly reporting comprising of a head of quality, head of engineering, head of manufacturing, controller, etc....
Here is the question - Should the Global head of quality report to the COO or to the Division President on the org chart. Pro's/Con's?

Thanks for your opinions. I know what I think, but I'd like to get other's points of view!
To the Division president.
Global head of quality must be in the peer line with the COO, and others who directly report to the Division president.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Jackie,

Message to everyone in current organization could be:

• Quality is operational not strategic
  • Quality is a line function (doing part of the job of other professionals in engineering, manufacturing etc...)
  • President is not interested in Quality
Quality management should help the President focus on the organization's system for helping employees to determine and fulfill requirements (including statutory and regulatory requirements). In other words Quality (or System Management) ideally is a staff function.

John

J

JackieT

Thanks to all, extremely good points for both sides - and differing views which is EXACTLY what I was looking for. :thanx:

J

JackieT

Actually, I think it should report to the Division President and not the COO. Each Site has its own Quality head for specific operational issues - and they work with the team and GM there. If the position is intended to be strategic and drive policy, it should not be aligned operationally.

J

Jason PCSwitches

If each site has a GM, why wouldn't they report to the GM? I would guess that the GM is responsible for the organization overall and probably is the one that reports to the next level.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M How Does Your Organization Measure Cost of Quality? Benchmarking 14
R In a perfect world, who does the Quality Organization answer to? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
T Where is Quality on your Organization Chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Geoff Cotton What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ? Benchmarking 2
W Quality Objective clarification - Requirements for "levels within the organization" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Is it required to mention another non certified organization in our Quality Manual ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C What can you do if Quality is treated as a separate function in an organization? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S Quality Team Job Description and Organization Chart wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Organization Charts in AS9100 Quality Systems Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
P Role of Quality within an Organization Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T With a Quality background, How high (designation) can you go in an organization? Career and Occupation Discussions 24
A Organization Quality Functions Presentation for New Hire Orientation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
G Quality Control for Supply Chain - Team for Global Sourcing Organization Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
D Quality Management in the Company Organization Structure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Seeking example Quality Manual for a small service sector organization Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
Q Re-Organization - A group of 15 QEs (Quality Engineers) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
K Measuring the Effectiveness of an organization's QMS (Quality Managment System) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Q Quality Organization Guidance - The Role of a Quality Engineer in a Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Tom W What is your organization's Quality Policy? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P ISO 9001 in construction organization: Your thoughts (quality control plan, etc) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
2 ISO 9001:2000 Information and Quality Manual for Non-Profit Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Procedures or Quality System relative to a Telecommunication Organization TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 3
Z How to Establish Quality Policy Based on Vision of Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S How to Structure My Organization to Support the Quality Management System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Marc A discussion of a 'software quality organization' on Slashdot Software Quality Assurance 2
ccochran The future of quality training - What training do you expect in your organization? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 30
T Do You Consider Your Quality Policy Valuable to your Organization? (Poll) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 44
S Quality Objectives. What? How? And How important to the organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Quality Manual Organization and Structure including Numbering Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 194
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1