Quality Policy - A Critique Request

B

Bob_M

Another QUALITY POLICY critique request

Looking for opions/comments about the following quality policy.
Please note: I'm working on the manual, policy, objectives etc. (mostly by myself - see note below), and I'm just looking for some helpful COVE input. :bigwave:
---------------------------
XXX is committed to ensuring customer satisfaction in product performance, delivery, and customer support.

Our primary goal at XXX is to manufacture and supply defect free products to our customers, on time every time.

XXX will continue to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations through effective quality planning and continual improvement efforts throughout the organization, which are driven by our quality objectives and regular review and analysis of our quality management system.
-----------------------------------
The statement above in bold red is our current/1994 quality policy/statement (which is currently posted throughout the shop). This pretty much is our goal as a company regardless of ISO... Rather simple but to the point.

I/we still need to work on "documenting" our objectives, but I have several ideas, and we have had some brief discussions about them. I think The 1st and 3rd senence above will include our objectives and I HOPE they cover the actually REQURIMENTS for a quality policy.
Comments? Suggestions? Could we "get-away" with just the red sentence?
NOTE: I DO REALIZE determining a company policy and its objectives SHOULD NOT be the sole responsiblity of the Quality Manager/Mgmt Rep. but at the moment I'm doing it alone. (There is a commitment here just bad timing and boss/owner has been busier than usual lately. We WILL discuss/approve this soon, but I'm just looking for feedback).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Bob,

If you are good at debating you could possibly make a case that everything is implied by the red sentence :), but personnally, I would go with all three sentences. I would say that it meets the requirements and should satisfy your auditor.

I'm sure the owner might have some suggestions (they always do), but this is definately a good start to give him.

C

Craig H.

Bob_M said:
Looking for opions/comments about the following quality policy.
Please note: I'm working on the manual, policy, objectives etc. (mostly by myself - see note below), and I'm just looking for some helpful COVE input. :bigwave:
---------------------------
XXX is committed to ensuring customer satisfaction in product performance, delivery, and customer support.

Our primary goal at XXX is to manufacture and supply defect free products to our customers, on time every time.

XXX will continue to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations through effective quality planning and continual improvement efforts throughout the organization, which are driven by our quality objectives and regular review and analysis of our quality management system.
The statement above in bold red is our current/1994 quality policy/statement (which is currently posted throughout the shop). This pretty much is our goal as a company regardless of ISO... Rather simple but to the point.

I/we still need to work on "documenting" our objectives, but I have several ideas, and we have had some brief discussions about them. I think The 1st and 3rd senence above will include our objectives and I HOPE they cover the actually REQURIMENTS for a quality policy.
Comments? Suggestions? Could we "get-away" with just the red sentence?
NOTE: I DO REALIZE determining a company policy and its objectives SHOULD NOT be the sole responsiblity of the Quality Manager/Mgmt Rep. but at the moment I'm doing it alone. (There is a commitment here just bad timing and boss/owner has been busier than usual lately. We WILL discuss/approve this soon, but I'm just looking for feedback).

Bob:

Just a suggestion, but have you considered saying just "our objectives" and "our management systems"? Under the new standard the lines between departments has blurred, due in part to the emphasis on processes, instead of just functionality.

When you have reviews, is the conversation held to just "quality" issues? I know ours are not, and because we don't have many meetings with everyone in the same room, it would be difficult to argue in favor of staying strictly on the agenda.

Heck, with our managers it wouldn't matter if I tried anyway!! But, those discussions are important, even if a little "out of bounds".

Just a thought. And my $.02.

Craig

B

Bob_M

Craig H. said:
Just a suggestion, but have you considered saying just "our objectives" and "our management systems"? Under the new standard the lines between departments has blurred, due in part to the emphasis on processes, instead of just functionality.
Good point. Thanks

Craig H. said:
When you have reviews, is the conversation held to just "quality" issues? I know ours are not, and because we don't have many meetings with everyone in the same room, it would be difficult to argue in favor of staying strictly on the agenda.
Acutally now we take care of our Management Review topics during our monthly staff meeting (boss and all managers). Saves the trouble of a "special" meeting" that repeated the topics we discuss regularly. AND some of our yet-to-be documented objectives are discussed in those meetings already. :)

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
Skewing the topic slightly here...

The Quality Policy has to be controlled. Currently ours is a page in our Quality manual (Controlled document, Issue level, yada yada)

So, if I wanted to place copies of the quality policy around the factory for employees/visitors to read, I would have to create a seperate document which follows doc' control rules?

Which means 2 documents you have to update if the policy changes.

If the quality policies around the factory were not controlled, then they might not get updated, or I might forget there was a copy in the Maintenance room.

Thoughts?

R

Randy Stewart

Stick with the "Printed Copies are Uncontrolled" statement. It reduces doc control headaches.

J

Jimmy Olson

Randy Stewart said:
Stick with the "Printed Copies are Uncontrolled" statement. It reduces doc control headaches.
I agree with this statement. We use it here and it makes things much simpler.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Randy Stewart said:
Do you mean for ALL docs or just for the Q policy? What about companies without an extensive intranet?

I say all printed copies are uncontrolled UNLESS they contain a red "controlled copy" stamp -- this let's me give printed copies to areas with no computer access.

J

Jimmy Olson

We apply it to all documents. We have a statement in the quality manual and in the doc control procedure that covers this. All of our procedures have a statement at the bottom that says 'This copy is uncontrolled unless otherwise stamped in red ink.'

Each employee is responsible for checking to make sure they have the most current version when using anything printed.This works pretty good for us, but we have a pretty good intranet and quite a few computers scattered throughout the company. I could see how it would be different with a limited amount of computers though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K ISO 9001 Quality Policy Content Critique and Extended Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
F ISO 13485:2016 Quality Policy Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Quality Policy - Standards and reference numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
qualprod Including services in quality policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Is a Quality Policy Statement a Requirement? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Including the Word "Risk" into the Quality Policy (ISO 9001:2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Definition of Other Policies in the Quality Policy Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Quality Policy approach of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.2.1a ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Should we get Quality Policy re-signed if the signatories leave? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sean Kelley New Catchy Quality Policy Ideas Wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
dubrizo Quality Policy - Your comments - Tear it apart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Quality Policy... Meet Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Definition AS9100 Quality Policy and 2nd party audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
M AS9100C Quality Policy Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
S Can these Quality Policy Statements be used in our American and Canadian sites Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Is this Quality Policy acceptable in the context of ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
S Management Declaration to Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
D Does the Quality Policy have to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Quality Policy Draft - Please review Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 24
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
N The difference between a Quality Policy and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Revision of Company Quality Policy Logo ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
sridharafep Unified Quality Policy sample complying to 9001-14001-18001 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 18
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
Q Who approves the Quality Manual and Quality Policy? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
W Quality Policy in Company - Different Policies at different Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Quality Policy Document as a Level 1 Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
somashekar The Quality Policy - How General or Specific should a Quality Policy be stated? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ajit Basrur Training Materials for Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
R Can a Quality Policy include Health and Safety as an Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
R What are the ISO 9001 Clause 5.3 Quality Policy Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Share Quality Policy that covers ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and MDD 93/42/EEC? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R What is a "Quality Policy"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Sam Lazzara ISO 13485 Quality Policy that concisely meets standard ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
L Product Quality Management Framework Policy and SMART Objectives Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17