Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
So, how do you reconcile that with the ISO 9001 requirement that reads: "Top management shall establish a quality policy that includes a commitment to satisfy applicable requirements...." Obviously legal requirements are a subset of applicable requirements.
"applicable requirements" to Quality. That's how you reconcile it.

The Quality Policy should be meaningful and useable for the organization - A technician on the floor should be able to relate that QP to how well he maintains a tool, or does their step in the process.

There are other places that can maintain the policy for meeting legal, statutory, regulatory, etc. "applicable requirements".

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Applicable requirements is perfect. A legal requirement would be specific to your company if mentioned in a decided court case. If you have not had any legal cases decided against your company, legal requirements is too broad a statement. Government laws will not mention a specific company or product, but a court case might.

I have never heard of "legal requirements" in a QMS having anything to do with my company's previous court cases.

It's only been about requirements to meet a law, in my experience. These include local, state, federal and any country the product will be sold and used in.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
"applicable requirements" to Quality. That's how you reconcile it.

The Quality Policy should be meaningful and useable for the organization - A technician on the floor should be able to relate that QP to how well he maintains a tool, or does their step in the process.

There are other places that can maintain the policy for meeting legal, statutory, regulatory, etc. "applicable requirements".
Sorry, but you fail to understand a basic, foundational concept in ISO 9001. I have highlighted the text below and it should be self-explanatory. Let me know, otherwise.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 135838.png

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
A legal requirement would be specific to your company if mentioned in a decided court case.
No, a legal requirement, in the context of ISO 9001 is any product-related requirement for a regulated type of device or service, which must demonstrate conformity, prior to be allowed in the market place. European Directives are one example of product related legal requirements.

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
Sorry, but you fail to understand a basic, foundational concept in ISO 9001. I have highlighted the text below and it should be self-explanatory. Let me know, otherwise.

@Sidney Vianna Cool insult! Been doing this for 25+ years as an auditor, educator and now director without issue - ever! But go ahead an assume "I fail to understand basic....". Great way to treat people; you must be a real treat to work with!

What you are highlighting is fine and relevant, but does NOT mean those have to be part of the Quality Policy. It says the QMS needs to demonstrate those. Not write them into the Quality Policy.

I have F&BL, Recycling, Safety, Conflict Minerals, Envionmental, FuSa policies that address all of these and I bring them up in every customer or 3rd party audit.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
@Sidney Vianna Cool insult! Been doing this for 25+ years as an auditor, educator and now director without issue - ever! But go ahead an assume "I fail to understand basic....". Great way to treat people; you must be a real treat to work with!
Post responsibly. That's my motto. You said that the ISO 9001 requirement that the quality policy must have a commitment to satisfy all applicable requirements does not include LEGAL requirements. That's a poor interpretation of the standard and it will be challenged anytime of the day, as long as I am here. Own up to your words.

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
Post responsibly. That's my motto. You said that the ISO 9001 requirement that the quality policy must have a commitment to satisfy all applicable requirements does not include LEGAL requirements. That's a poor interpretation of the standard and it will be challenged anytime of the day, as long as I am here. Own up to your words.
LOL - I own every single one of my words! You are wrong - I own that 100%!!

Legal requirements, etc. do NOT have to be in the Quality Policy. Period!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Does the Quality Policy have to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
J Delivery statement in quality policy - Does it warrant an NC? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q How many sentences does your Quality Policy statement contain? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 119
B Does the ISO/TS 16949 standard actually require the title "QUALITY POLICY" to be used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Quality Policy: What Does 'Maintain' Mean? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Marc Quality Policy - What does the Quality Policy mean to each person in the company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
R Quality policy review document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A API Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Quality Policy Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 5
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
F ISO 13485:2016 Quality Policy Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
M Quality Policy - Standards and reference numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
qualprod Including services in quality policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
S Is a Quality Policy Statement a Requirement? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Including the Word "Risk" into the Quality Policy (ISO 9001:2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Definition of Other Policies in the Quality Policy Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
armani Quality Policy approach of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.2.1a ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Should we get Quality Policy re-signed if the signatories leave? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S New Catchy Quality Policy Ideas Wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
dubrizo Quality Policy - Your comments - Tear it apart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Quality Policy... Meet Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Definition AS9100 Quality Policy and 2nd party audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
M AS9100C Quality Policy Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
S Can these Quality Policy Statements be used in our American and Canadian sites Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Is this Quality Policy acceptable in the context of ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
S Management Declaration to Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Quality Policy Draft - Please review Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 24
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
N The difference between a Quality Policy and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Revision of Company Quality Policy Logo ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S Unified Quality Policy sample complying to 9001-14001-18001 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 18
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
Q Who approves the Quality Manual and Quality Policy? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
W Quality Policy in Company - Different Policies at different Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Quality Policy Document as a Level 1 Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
somashekar The Quality Policy - How General or Specific should a Quality Policy be stated? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8