Quality Policy - Potential problem? Adding a Paragraph to Comply

I

isochick

Re: Quality Policy - possible problem?

Kyle,

Auditors should not dictate what your Quality Policy should be. As long your employees know what your company's Quality Policy is and most importantly, what they do and how they support it, that is what is important. External auditors sometimes say things like that because they have narrow vision when it comes to ISO and QMS. They seem to want all their clients to do everything the same to save them time. External auditors need to remember the QMS belongs to the client and as long as they ae in compliance, they can do what they want. I had a client that wanted to have their Quality Policy say "We make great stuff!" They felt that statement said it all and they could prove it. The external auditor turned up his nose at that and they caved Too bad. Your external auditor has to be careful not to play consultant - he is your auditor.

All the best! You'll do great!

AndyN

Moved On

ISOChick - agreed!

If the CB auditor is worth their pay check, they should be able to see if management can 'talk to' the policy. I'm guessing that in most organizations, someone is responsible for most of the ruling policies: employment, smoking, safety etc. and they can 'talk to' the policy. They know if it's being implemented etc. They may even be kept awake at night worrying about meeting the policy - since many are driven from regulatory requirements.

If top management are responsible for the Quality Policy - can they 'talk to' it? Can they say it's being implemented?

B

Bill Pflanz

If you look at 5.3 of the standards, the poster does generally meet the requirements. Since it is visibly posted with the approval of management it is appropriate to the purpose of the organization where "Quality is never an accident".

If you interpret "It is always the result of the highest intentions, sincere efforts, intelligent directions, and skillful executions" as a commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the quality management system then that part of the standard is covered.

The requirement for providing a framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives could be included by "It represents the wise choice of many alternatives".

The fact that it is a quote is no different then copying the numerous quality policies that exist. I am sure there are duplications if not exactly than very similar. It would be an interesting finding if the auditor challenged it because they would have to specifically show how it does not meet the standard.

Bill Pflanz

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

If you look at 5.3 of the standards, the poster does generally meet the requirements. Since it is visibly posted with the approval of management it is appropriate to the purpose of the organization where "Quality is never an accident".

If you interpret "It is always the result of the highest intentions, sincere efforts, intelligent directions, and skillful executions" as a commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the quality management system then that part of the standard is covered.

The requirement for providing a framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives could be included by "It represents the wise choice of many alternatives".

The fact that it is a quote is no different then copying the numerous quality policies that exist. I am sure there are duplications if not exactly than very similar. It would be an interesting finding if the auditor challenged it because they would have to specifically show how it does not meet the standard.

Bill Pflanz

Making a lovely observation about quality isn't the same thing as having a policy regarding quality, even if you choose to call it a policy. It's really just a motherhood statement, no more enlightening than just saying, "Quality is a good thing."

C

CliffK

Making a lovely observation about quality isn't the same thing as having a policy regarding quality, even if you choose to call it a policy. It's really just a motherhood statement, no more enlightening than just saying, "Quality is a good thing."

Well, all policy statements are just words, aren't they?

I don't think it's possible to evaluate a quality policy on the basis of the words alone. It's necessary to know something about the organizational context and how the leadership uses the policy.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I don't think it's possible to evaluate a quality policy on the basis of the words alone. It's necessary to know something about the organizational context and how the leadership uses the policy.

The content of the policy may be compared to the requirements, but whether or not the policy really means anything can only be ascertained by the results. If my quality policy is "Quality is a good thing," (which is essentially what the quotation says), we can be pretty sure it doesn't meet the basic general definition of "policy," let alone the ISO requirements.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions

I'm sorry... NO. The posters do not say anywhere on them that the statement they contain is our quality policy. So I guess then we're fine to keep them up. Thanks for that answer. My other question is: How many people actually post their quality policy around the work place? I know it is required to be communicated and understood throughout the organization (that hasn't been hard... there are only 5 of us! :lmao: )

Our Quality Policy is posted and framed in just about every room of our 60,000 sq. foot mfg facility. It's in each breakroom, bathroom and office. Almost all of our customers and suppliers who are ISO registered have it displayed prominantly in their facility. Why? Well, for one reason we actually believe our quality and mission statements, so it's no problem for us. We have about 65 employees and its driven home from the date of hire. It's also easy to brush off the auditor when they ask about our quality statement and our employees knowledge of it by simply pointing. So, to answer your question, I think the an overwhelming majority of companies, especially manufacturing companies, post it around the work place. IMO.

J

JaneB

If they are not used, acted upon, and embedded into the organisation, and don't underpin what it does and how, yes. ie, 'communicated and understood within the organisation' (5.3d)

The content of the policy may be compared to the requirements, but whether or not the policy really means anything can only be ascertained by the results.

Yes, indeed. Above and beyond mere posting of things on the walls. Some of my most successful clients don't have their policy posted on their walls. But they live and breathe it every day, and it underpins what they do, how they act, and the decisions they make. I'll take that over wall posters (though both together often works well).

Top Bottom