Quality Policy: What Does 'Maintain' Mean?

R

romelnar

quality policy: what does "maintain" means?

What does “shall ensure......policy is...... and maintained......” means? Does it mean “to put a quality policy in every corner of the premise” or “to review the policy at a desired frequency”?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Alex Grguric

Correct, it means that you have to ensure that a system is in place to allow for review of the policy manual allowing for changes (continious improvement) to be made.

C
We review the quality policy (and quality objectives) at the Management Review to determine how well we have achieved them and if they still fit the needs of the business. Our quality policy is documented in our Quality Manual (Level 1 documentation).

R

romelnar

what if the date the quality policy was established is still the date indicated after, say, two years, does it mean that no review (or maintenance?) done on the quality policy?

i'm trying to squeeze something out here. i've been to several organizations here in the philippines (either benchmarking or audit) but some (or should i say "none") of them seem to review the adequacy of their QP on their present business. if in case, i want to raise it as nonconformity against 4.1.1, will you accept it?

D

D.Scott

I am wondering if it is possible that these companies are reviewing their current business practices to determine how suitable they are in meeting the stated quality policy. It would seem reasonable to me that a dynamic policy could be written which requires no actual change. The system supporting the policy would then be reviewed and adjusted for allignment. I see nothing in the requirements stating my policy has to be revised within any time limit. I would think an auditor would like evidence of movement in the business practice toward meeting the set goals rather than looking for how many times the target is moved to make it easier to hit. Just my opinion.
Dave

D

darwinbb

Conducting internal quality audit based on my experience is an effective tool of maintaining your quality management system. Results of such audit should be made available too during the management review. Any issues at this point could be discuss at this level.

A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by romelnar:
what if the date the quality policy was established is still the date indicated after, say, two years, does it mean that no review (or maintenance?) done on the quality policy?

i'm trying to squeeze something out here. i've been to several organizations here in the philippines (either benchmarking or audit) but some (or should i say "none") of them seem to review the adequacy of their QP on their present business. if in case, i want to raise it as nonconformity against 4.1.1, will you accept it?
I believe that Internal Audit results of the management review element would pick up any inconsistencies. Section 4.1.3 states the requirements clearly in that the quality system needs to be reviewed at defined intervals to ensure stability and effectiveness, This includes the policy manual.

A painless way to comply would be to have some type of agenda for management review meetings that documents that the policy has been reviewed. Just because the policy manual is reviewed does not mean it changes and I would not be concerned that the revision level did not change in two years.

Most level I Policy Manuals are nothing more than a rehash of the shall statements, while the meat of the system lies within level II and III documents. I believe that most auditors would rather see evidence of effective internal audits, meeting business plan objectives, and management reviews that lead to system improvements.

Hypothetically, I would more than likely go after 4.1.3 that 4.1.1.

IMO,

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Does the Quality Policy have to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
J Delivery statement in quality policy - Does it warrant an NC? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q How many sentences does your Quality Policy statement contain? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 119
B Does the ISO/TS 16949 standard actually require the title "QUALITY POLICY" to be used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Marc Quality Policy - What does the Quality Policy mean to each person in the company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
F ISO 13485:2016 Quality Policy Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Quality Policy - Standards and reference numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
Q Including services in quality policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
S Is a Quality Policy Statement a Requirement? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Including the Word "Risk" into the Quality Policy (ISO 9001:2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Definition of Other Policies in the Quality Policy Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Quality Policy approach of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.2.1a ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Should we get Quality Policy re-signed if the signatories leave? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sean Kelley New Catchy Quality Policy Ideas Wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
dubrizo Quality Policy - Your comments - Tear it apart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Quality Policy... Meet Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Definition AS9100 Quality Policy and 2nd party audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
M AS9100C Quality Policy Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
S Can these Quality Policy Statements be used in our American and Canadian sites Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Is this Quality Policy acceptable in the context of ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 24
S Management Declaration to Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Quality Policy Draft - Please review Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 24
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
N The difference between a Quality Policy and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Revision of Company Quality Policy Logo ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
sridharafep Unified Quality Policy sample complying to 9001-14001-18001 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 18
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
Q Who approves the Quality Manual and Quality Policy? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
W Quality Policy in Company - Different Policies at different Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Quality Policy Document as a Level 1 Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
somashekar The Quality Policy - How General or Specific should a Quality Policy be stated? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ajit Basrur Training Materials for Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
R Can a Quality Policy include Health and Safety as an Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26