Quality/Production Procedures - The "What and How" information

L

Larry Res

I am currently involved with the writing of the production procedures and quality procedures for a company which is considering
ISO9000 certification. The catch 22 I am currently in pertains to the "What and How" information should be presented. I for one am x-military with a high degree for attention to detail. Without going into a long and drag out story, I am requesting anyone to submit to me a basic production procedure with all the "if's, and's and but's" included. The main point I am trying to make with my company is what should or needs to be included within the production procedures. I firmly believe that all tools needed to complete a task should be listed even down to the simple items such as if a cotton swab would be needed to remove excess epoxy. In other words, it is the companies belief to only include special types of tools. I am also curious to know where most companies
include their Warnings, Cautions, and Notes. My philosophy is to put Warnings and Cautions before the instructions they effect and that the simple Notes would either follow or be included within the instruction line.

Any assistance or feedback would be greatly appreciated. You may either post your feedback here.

Respectfully yours,
Larry

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

rrramirez

Larry:
I suggest you to read the following topics before "to write" any procedure:
1) The brochure "Selection and use of ISO 9000; you can get it for free from the web site http://www.iso.ch/
2) 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 of ISO 9000-1:1994
3) 5.0 :The role of the documentation; ISO 9000-1:1994;
4) 5.2..5 and 5.3 (all clauses) and 11.5 of ISO 9004-1:1994.
5)4.2.2 of ISO 9001:1994.

You don´t need to document too much when your operators have a good knowledge of the work to be done.

Reinaldo Ramirez

------------------
Senior Member ASQ (1986)

A

Alan Cotterell

Larry, I agree with your philosophy of including warnings in operating procedures. I think it is helpful to structure the management manual with 'mission and vision' at the top of the documentation tree, then a 'policy manual' followed by the 'procedures manual'. If you do this you minimise writing policy matters into procedures. I think it is important when writing procedures to define the product and then develop a 'project flow chart' to guide the deveopment of procedures.
I believe procedures should reflect policies, which should be guided from the mission and vision statement, so the first thing to do is structure the policy manual index.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
andika_untoro What are a good Critical to Quality (CTQ) metrics for a biotech manufacturing production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G Medical Devices: Product/Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Interview Question - Conflict between Production and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Ron Rompen The Effect of Heat on Production and Quality Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 14
S OBL (Own Brand Labeling) - Full Quality to Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
4 Quality vs Production on CMM Set Up Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B VP of "Quality" now also manages "Production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
M Implementation of Quality Gates in Production Processes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
H How do you communicate the quality checks to the production supervisors? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
E Quality Plan for Relocation of our Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
N Quality Team Production Target Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Starting In-Process Quality Inspection in the Production Shopfloor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
S How to Communicate with Production People to Prevent Quality Arguments Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
S Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspectors) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
F Organizational Charts - OK to combine Quality and Production? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
D Quality Training materials that I can give to production workers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
J ISO 9001:2000 4.2.3- Quality Records, Production Travelers Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
G Why does production see quality negatively? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 34
H Who is responsible for quality of the company (Internal ppm) - Quality or Production? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Q Need some suggestions from Quality Experts - Production Launch Visit. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Production Accountability - Instilling Quality Values in the Production Workers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A How to present our quality efforts to our production people and during training? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
G Flowchart on How to Feedback Quality Issues to Production Line wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
J Tracking Cost of Quality - Inspection laboratory and production inspection time/cost Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
D Quality Training for Operators and Production Supervisors to do Self-Inspection Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
M Production duties vs. Final Acceptance Testing - New Quality Manager needs HELP!!! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 36
P Trying to automate analyses of data from production process using Quality Analyst Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
C Should a Quality Manager know daily production numbers? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Troublesome Production Manager is not interested in Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 24
S Quality Cost - Rework Cost Vs. Production Costs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
WALLACE Ford Production Sytem - SQDCME Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Morale, Environment Customer and Company Specific Requirements 35
L Manufacturing and quality control process in furniture production company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Personnel responsible for Quality stopping production and TS 16949 Clause 5.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Production Quality Tech Automotive General Auditing Discussions 0
M Dual Role - Quality and Production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Quality Responsible to Production Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D Production before Quality - Is the Customer Always Right? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Howard Atkins Are production samples quality records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 12
Marc When Quality Assurance Answers to Production Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 29
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 0