SBS - The best value in QMS software

Quality System Process Map - Is this too detailed or not enough detail?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Quality System Process Map

Welcome to the cove!

Since you asked, here's my (admittedly biased) $.02. Technically I don't believe it's a process map. It looks like functional group responsibilities superimposed on the ISO process model with a flow of product realization.

Some of your processes may have the same names as the functional groups, but I dont' think you're really identifying your processes (or why would you have two processes named purchasing?). Also, I believe that you may be missing some of your processes that aren't in product realization.

I would start by identifying the processes of your system and make sure that each is really a process (transforms inputs into outputs). For example, look at the "Management" block in product realization. The process is probably really something like "Order Review." The primary inputs are sales orders and the outputs are approved orders.

Once you've identified the processes, connect the outputs of processes with the inputs of other processes, and you'll have a process map. There is no need to try to force it onto the ISO process model.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions...

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Sure, I agree with Howste.

The names inside the product realization are all department names. You would have to determine what process each department does, what are the inputs, what are the outputs, what resources are needed, what controls are in place, etc.

For example warehousing could be called "ship product" with inputs (received product, shipping order), outputs (shipped product), activities (inspect product, package product), controls (inspection criteria, packaging standard), monitor/measuring (customer complaints, ontime shipping).

Another option is to look at product realization as one process. This would probably work if your process is not too complex.

J

josecortez

Thanks for the feedback!
I think I might have to go with product realization as being 1 process. Does the new draft appear to be quality system process map now to comply with 4.1?

Attachments

P

Pazuzu - 2009

Thank you all for the constructive feedback. I have made some more adjustments to my Process Map. Do you think its conforming now to the ISO requirements?
I appreciate all your opinions.
Many people fail to remember that it should first conform to what your company actually does, then it must conform to ISO. It's supposed to be a view of what you do from 30,000 ft.

Personally, although it makes sense I still agree with Howste in that it looks too similar to the ISO model from the standard.

Also, I'm not entirely sure of what you do? If I read the map correctly (and assuming I haven't overlooked anything) you seem to be a merchandising company. A request comes in, purchasing calls the vendors, product comes in and you recieve it, then you ship it to the customer. Is this correct or do you do anything with the product?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

josecortez

Many people fail to remember that it should first conform to what your company actually does, then it must conform to ISO. It's supposed to be a view of what you do from 30,000 ft.

Personally, although it makes sense I still agree with Howste in that it looks to similar to the ISO model from the standard.

Also, I'm not entirely sure of what you do? If I read the map correctly (and assuming I haven't overlooked anything) you seem to be a merchandising company. A request comes in, purchasing calls the vendors, product comes in and you recieve it, then you ship it to the customer. Is this correct or do you do anything with the product?
Yes. We are simply brokering. We get Request for quotes, source our vendor availabilities, quote our vendors stock with a mark up, get an order from our customer, buy it fro our vendor, receive and inspect it, then ship it to customer.

J

JaneB

We are simply brokering. We get Request for quotes, source our vendor availabilities, quote our vendors stock with a mark up, get an order from our customer, buy it fro our vendor, receive and inspect it, then ship it to customer.
I think you've encapsulated your core business processes in this statement! Why not try & map it like that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Seeking input for a process-based quality management system training course ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Quality Control System Ideas to stream line the PPAP Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Sidney Vianna New ISO/IEC standard: quality of IT system / software engineering life cycle process Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Quality System vs. Process vs. Product Audit - TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 49
F QMS (Quality Management System) vs. Process Improvement Framework Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R QMS (Quality Management System) Process Map... Comments appreciated Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S How should we track a process for Quality System Studies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L 20 Factors based QMS to TS 16949 Process based Quality Management System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Audit Checklists: Quality Management System - Manufacturing Process - Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Unique Quality Management System for 2 sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Quality System Functional Safety Checklist / Guidance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B EU MDR Quality System Requirements - Applicable to Class I? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational US – National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc) Solicits Public Comments for Data Quality and Methods Frameworks Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
D Templates for Environmental, Safety and quality Management System wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Quality System Processes without Documented Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
QIE Anyone have experience with BPA Quality (QMS system based on Office365/Sharepoint) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
S Quality System Induction Training for New Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 16
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C ISO 14001 vs Existing Quality System - How to keep them separate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
S What are you looking for in an automated quality management system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
M FDA Considers Shift on Medical Device Quality System Regulations - 2018 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Support and guidance with supplier quality management system Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
S Integrating a Contract Manufacturer's documentation into our Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3