Quality Systems Coordinator vs. Management Representatve - Responsibilities and Roles

J

jeanmarc - 2011

Hi to aAll,

Can someone clarify and/or provide with more information/details on the roles & responsibilities of a Quality Systems Coordinator and a Management Representative?

In what areas are their nature of jobs different?

:thanks:

JM

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Quality Systems Coordinator vs. Management Representatve - Responsibilities and R

The first you said is an operative figure ( probably involved in planning and performing internal audits, corrective actions follow up and so on), while the second is more related to a management role ( see par.5.5.2.), who refers to top management the status of health of QMS.
He should be appointed by the management , irrespective of his/her other functions.
hope this helps

T

tkevmoore

Re: Quality Systems Coordinator v/s Management Representative

I have a similar situation. Although I was hired to be my company's Management Representative for our transition to AS 9100 from ISO 9001, my title was Quality Systems Analyst. Since our certification I was promoted to Quality Systems Manager, which added Document and Records control to my responsibility as head of the Internal Audit program.

In addition my company has a very strong, formalized Continuous Improvement Program which reports to Engineering. We hav an annual meeting,co-ordinated by this group, for the setting of Company Quality goals as well as the metrics to achieve them. Also there is a structured monthly reporting process that involves Senior Management.

It's a great process but it seems to supplant most of the Management Representative responsibilities with the exception of registrar interface. Since Program Management is our prime interface with the customer, what's a little ole Management Rep to do? Don't get me wrong I've got my hands full with all the other responsibilities, but I want to make sure I don't short change this one.

C

Cornwap

Re: Quality Systems Coordinator vs. Management Representatve - Responsibilities and R

Hi jeanmarc,

There is no requirement within ISO9001 for a specific role of Management Representative to be created, however the responsibility and authority for the specificed activities (Section 5.5.2 a to c) does need to be assigned to a member of the organisation's management.

I would normally identify the designated management representative within the quality manual or the organisation structure. In many organisations the Quality Manager is designated as the management representative.

In practice these activities could be delegated to a Quality Systems Co-ordinator but the ultimate responsibility and authority for ensuring that they are satisfactorily performed would remain with the designated management representative.

Best regards
Phil

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hi jeanmarc,

There is no requirement within ISO9001 for a specific role of Management Representative to be created, however the responsibility and authority for the specificed activities (Section 5.5.2 a to c) does need to be assigned to a member of the organisation's management.

I would normally identify the designated management representative within the quality manual or the organisation structure. In many organisations the Quality Manager is designated as the management representative.

In practice these activities could be delegated to a Quality Systems Co-ordinator but the ultimate responsibility and authority for ensuring that they are satisfactorily performed would remain with the designated management representative.

Best regards
Phil
No one knows for sure what "member of the organization's management" means. Delegation of MR responsibility and authority can create a member of management, no?

C

Cornwap

Hi Jim,

I agree with you up to a point as the term "organisation's management" is not specifically defined in the ISO9000:2005 vocabluary.

However in reality I believe that it still needs to be assigned to somebody relatively senior in the organisation. My experience is that although you can assign it to a more junior staff, however in practice they are not in a position to act with that authority, particularly when it comes to obstructive directors and managers. The desire to avoid limiting their career prospects could therefore be a major conflict of interest.

IMHO the 2008 version of ISO9001 should have adopted the OHSAS18001 wording of "The organisation shall appoint a member(s) of top management..." beacuse top management is a term that ISO have clearly defined in ISO9000:2005.

Best regards
Phil

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hi Jim,

I agree with you up to a point as the term "organisation's management" is not specifically defined in the ISO9000:2005 vocabluary.

However in reality I believe that it still needs to be assigned to somebody relatively senior in the organisation. My experience is that although you can assign it to a more junior staff, however in practice they are not in a position to act with that authority, particularly when it comes to obstructive directors and managers. The desire to avoid limiting their career prospects could therefore be a major conflict of interest.
This is a problem with the delegation of responsibility and authority, not with the idea that a "more junior" person is inherently incapable of functioning as MR. If the R&A are actually delegated, the MR becomes a member of management, irrespective of other duties.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi to aAll,

Can someone clarify and/or provide with more information/details on the roles & responsibilities of a Quality Systems Coordinator and a Management Representative?

JM
Authority is most important. What can you do as QSC vs MR?

Responsibility is what you must do but authority comes first.

I would expect the top manager to have delegated some of his or her authority to you. For example, to:

1. Analyze the system running the organization (for each significant change)
  2. Determine the key processes in the system
  3. Obtain time with process owners to analyze each of the key processes
  4. Facilitate product and process FMEA sessions
  5. Facilitate root cause removal training and sessions
  6. Facilitate mistake proofing of processes
  7. Ensure the process owners gather and use feedback from the process team and their customers
  8. Ensure the customer requirements are reflected by the system documents
  9. Ensure operators, supervisors and managers are monitoring their processes
  10. Ensure purchasing is continually improving suppplier performance
  11. Obtain authorization for the internal audit program and oversee its execution
  12. Measure and require action to improve the health of the system (documented and undocumented)
  13. Facilitate leadership of the system's use and improvement
  14. ...and, as necessary, liaise with the external auditors

Which of these authorities do you have? You can then determine your role and responsibilities in keeping with your authority.

John

D

DrM2u

This is a problem with the delegation of responsibility and authority, not with the idea that a "more junior" person is inherently incapable of functioning as MR. If the R&A are actually delegated, the MR becomes a member of management, irrespective of other duties.
I am leaning toward Jim's position on this one from the perspective of ISO 9001 standard. As an ISO 9001 auditor I am not too concerned with MR's position or title within the organization as long as the top management confirms that this person was appointed as MR (5.5.2). I am not aware of any requirement or definition that states that all members of the management team have to be managers or in an executive/top role, but I could be wrong. What I am interested in is that the MR knows the related duties and that the requirements of 5.5.2 are satisfied. I didn't think about it before, but I guess that the assignment of the MR duties also implies membership in the management team.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DrM2u

Hi to aAll,

JM
To me, the QS Coordinator is a position established within the organization with a certain scope and purpose, therefore the duties, responsibilities & authorities are (should be) defined by the organization. The Management Representative is not necesarily a separate job title but a set of duties/responsibilities/authorities required by the ISO 9001 standard (and other standards) and to be assigned by the top management to a member of management (not necesarily a manager). The top management can assign the MR duties to the QS Coordinator within an organization, but that does not imply that in other organizations the QS Coordinator is automatically the MR.

In support to John B's post, there has to be a balance between responsibilities and authorities in order for someone to perform the assigned duties to the desired expectations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6 SHEQ/Quality Systems Coordinator Balanced Scorecard Template wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Cats Clause Certified Quality Systems Ltd (CQS) accredited by International Accreditation Board Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
Q How to classify several systems for Quality Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
T Add checking aid to quality systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Sidney Vianna Release of ISO 10013:2021, Quality management systems – Guidance for documented information Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 13
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 20
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Intuitive Quality Design and Documentation Systems ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Custom Records and Quality Systems - Products that change frequently Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Records Destroyed - Hurricane Harvey has likely destroyed our Quality Systems Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
M Use of Excel and VBA (visual basic for applications) in quality systems Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
A What is "a router" in ISO/TS 9002 Quality management systems ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Quality Management Systems Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Merging Two Quality Management Systems when a Company is Acquired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
M FDA's Medical Device Quality Systems Manual Withdrawn (2013) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
C Quality Control/Management Systems as a Broker Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
H From Quality to Business Excellence: A Systems Approach to Management The Reading Room 3
J Two Quality Management Systems - ISO 13485 in one company possible? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
BradM FAQ Thread Discussion - ISO 9001 Quality Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
BradM Informational FAQ Thread - ISO 9001 Quality Systems Frequently Asked Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
D Quality Management Systems - Differences between ISO 13485, 21 CFR Part 820 & ICH Q10 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
V How do you monitor the Responsiveness, Agility, Efficiency of Quality Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
H How to integrate ISO/TS 16949 & ISO9001 Quality Systems - Plastic Injection Mold IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E FDA Quality Systems and DAMAS (Dental Appliance Manufacturers Audit Scheme) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
L Applying the Lean Concept in Quality Management Systems Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Plant Start-Up - Planning and Implementing Quality Systems for a New Facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q What are the rules on Purchase Orders in Medical Device Quality Systems ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Organization Charts in AS9100 Quality Systems Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
M "ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook" by David Hoyle Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 24
B Quality Contracts with Clear Measures of Electronic Systems such as failure rate Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
F Benefits of Internal Audits in supporting Safety and Quality Management Systems Internal Auditing 5
M Is it acceptable or advisable to have a "Quality Systems Glossary"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
R Industry Statistics on the benefits of Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Integration of HR (Human Resources) and Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Implementation Plan for ICH Q10 - Gap analysis of cGMP vs ICH Q10 Quality Systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Sunday Business Systems, Quality Database Review Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
P How to Qualify as External Auditor in ISO Quality Systems General Auditing Discussions 2
V 10 Characteristics of Effective Quality Management Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
6 Quality Management Systems in Vehicle Maintenance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
AnaMariaVR2 Effects of the Economic Downturn in Quality Systems & Quality in General Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S Combining Quality Systems (Manuals, etc.) in two Companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Quality Systems Registar is not accredited by any national accreditation board Registrars and Notified Bodies 24
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
H Quality Systems Manual Content and QSP Sheets ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C How should I establish Quality Systems in my small company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Mixed Automotive and Non-Automotive Quality Systems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
N NADCAP - Knowledge of Aerospace Quality Systems Accreditation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4