Quality Systems in Rescue Services

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
As a part of my personal leadership development goals, I am nearing the end of my EMT-MR step in EMT-I or Paramedic certification...still have not really decided how far I am going with this. This has been something I've wanted to do for a long time but was unable to commit to before because our children were so young. This year, I was offered the chance to certify through and for my employer who is building an on-site EMT group. Needless to say, that's the way to go, the boss foots the bill and I get to do something I've always felt drawn to.

Anyway, to make a long story short(er), the town I live in (or almost live in) needs volunteers badly so I told them that I would sign up. Here's the catch, Abuse of the Emergency Medical Systems runs rampant in this area. A paramedic from the next county over was telling me about a call last week that was paged out as chest pains and difficulty breathing, when the squad got there, it was a fingernail broken down to the quick. My instructor tells about the "chest pains and difficulty breathing" run they made where the guy jumps out of the ambulance when they get to the hospital and says "thanks for the ride" and starts walking toward downtown. These are not isolated incidents folks, absolutely true and quite frequent.

My question to you is, in your state, are these things allowed to happen? I am a transplant, in my native state these people would be behind bars right now for wreckless endangerment and misuse of emergency services.

Does anyone have or know where I can find information on how to set up policies for a rescue squad. Folks here just have not joined the rest of us in the 21st century, they are still back in the dark ages when it comes to management systems of any kind. It's not that the people on the squad don't want to change, they just don't know what a good system looks like or where to start.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated, as this is truly a new venture in my life and I really think that some organization is called for and I'm one of those type folks that always look for ways to change things for the better, especially when there is so much room for improvement.:eek: :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I know where you're coming from. 29 years ago I started work for ------------ Arkansas PD. It was the same there. Everybody was used to cousin Billy-Bob being the Chief, mayor or whatever, so they literally got away with murder. A few of us new, outsider types started tossing their a---s in the jug and things changed. We were educated, professional, and didn't owe any favors.

I suggest you do a YAHOO or GOOGLE type of search. Research what some of the metro areas of NC have done.

You also failed to say whether or not service was free to users, if it was subscriptive, or a billed type of operation. If you get public funds the government body should be made aware of abuses and asked to take some type of legislative action to reduce them. (We had false burglary and robbery alarms all the time until the city council started inposing fees for them. The fire department had the same thing for false fire alarms..oh yeah they also did the ambulance for the city after we established it--I was an EMT-2A I think).

Good luck:bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Thanks!

Yep, mostly the cousin jim-bob thing goin on. If you call in a complaint, the inspectors and such call up and say "uh, hey there cousin Jim-Bob, we'll be there 2 days from now, so get your books in order"

I will continue to work on the i-net searches, I also have some contacts up north who are on squads and will help me out. As for money...strictly volunteer, the squad gets squat and the county has a hissy fit everytime someone says "let's start charging". I still think that if we started charging a nominal donation fee, we'd get rid of a lot of the stuff you normally flush.

Ah well, just another day south of the M-D line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
pbojsen Intuitive Quality Design and Documentation Systems ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Custom Records and Quality Systems - Products that change frequently Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Records Destroyed - Hurricane Harvey has likely destroyed our Quality Systems Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
M Use of Excel and VBA (visual basic for applications) in quality systems Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
A What is "a router" in ISO/TS 9002 Quality management systems ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Quality Management Systems Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Merging Two Quality Management Systems when a Company is Acquired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
M FDA's Medical Device Quality Systems Manual Withdrawn (2013) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
C Quality Control/Management Systems as a Broker Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
H From Quality to Business Excellence: A Systems Approach to Management The Reading Room 3
J Two Quality Management Systems - ISO 13485 in one company possible? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
BradM FAQ Thread Discussion - ISO 9001 Quality Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
BradM Informational FAQ Thread - ISO 9001 Quality Systems Frequently Asked Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
D Quality Management Systems - Differences between ISO 13485, 21 CFR Part 820 & ICH Q10 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
V How do you monitor the Responsiveness, Agility, Efficiency of Quality Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
H How to integrate ISO/TS 16949 & ISO9001 Quality Systems - Plastic Injection Mold IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E FDA Quality Systems and DAMAS (Dental Appliance Manufacturers Audit Scheme) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
6 SHEQ/Quality Systems Coordinator Balanced Scorecard Template wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
L Applying the Lean Concept in Quality Management Systems Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Plant Start-Up - Planning and Implementing Quality Systems for a New Facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q What are the rules on Purchase Orders in Medical Device Quality Systems ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Organization Charts in AS9100 Quality Systems Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
M "ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook" by David Hoyle Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 24
B Quality Contracts with Clear Measures of Electronic Systems such as failure rate Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
F Benefits of Internal Audits in supporting Safety and Quality Management Systems Internal Auditing 5
M Is it acceptable or advisable to have a "Quality Systems Glossary"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
R Industry Statistics on the benefits of Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Integration of HR (Human Resources) and Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Implementation Plan for ICH Q10 - Gap analysis of cGMP vs ICH Q10 Quality Systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Sunday Business Systems, Quality Database Review Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
P How to Qualify as External Auditor in ISO Quality Systems General Auditing Discussions 2
V 10 Characteristics of Effective Quality Management Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
6 Quality Management Systems in Vehicle Maintenance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
AnaMariaVR2 Effects of the Economic Downturn in Quality Systems & Quality in General Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S Combining Quality Systems (Manuals, etc.) in two Companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Quality Systems Registar is not accredited by any national accreditation board Registrars and Notified Bodies 24
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
H Quality Systems Manual Content and QSP Sheets ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C How should I establish Quality Systems in my small company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Mixed Automotive and Non-Automotive Quality Systems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
N NADCAP - Knowledge of Aerospace Quality Systems Accreditation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J Quality Systems Coordinator vs. Management Representatve - Responsibilities and Roles ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
N QSM (Quality Systems Manual) review. Divide and Conquer! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
S How to control the revisions of the company AS9100 Quality Systems Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
O ISO 9001 Quality Systems Manual (QSM) advice - Please review Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
P Example ISO 13485 Quality Manuals/Systems Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6