Quantifying the benefits of 5S Implementation

D

dasamit123

Dear Forum Users,

I need your suggestion on How to quantify the benefits of implemeting 5S. Normally, when we propose to some manufactring unit to implement 5S, they want to know the benefits in numbers, costs etc. I know qualitative outcomes of 5S but not quantitative. Please suggest some ways to bring some factual results out of effective 5S execution at shop floor.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Amit

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

Polly Pure Bread

Re: Quantification of 5S Benefits

Make Rules/Quality Workplace Standards
e.g. lights, computers, etc shall be turned off when not in use. you can quantify the cost savings.

D

dasamit123

Thanks for your answer.

When someone is to be conviced on 5S effectiveness, what results and factual outcomes we can promise to him?

Thanks for your time.

Regds
Amit

P

Polly Pure Bread

When someone is to be conviced on 5S effectiveness, what results and factual outcomes we can promise to him?
Improve the quality of work life through a clean and organized workplace using a team-based approach.

DanteCaspian

Quite Involved in Discussions
It really is that simple.
Further gains are that it allows a company to shape a cultural mindset in preparation for other continuous improvement efforts.
I would not have been able to teach and help a process just today for the sake of one-piece-flow and high quality yield without the basic principles of 5S in place.
If you need to provide further information in a quantitative way, you may need to show them. That is how I gained traction in a few places... just do it in a selected area and then show and tell.

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks for your time.

Regds
Amit
Amit - implementing a 5S approach in the workplace is (in part) a method to reduce the '7 Wastes' which are also part of TPS/Lean. It shouldn't be too difficult to see (literally) what affects a production line (if that's what you're considering) and has an impact on one or more of the 7 Wastes. Once you know that, you can put a cost to it - wasted movement, wasted time (like waiting) until a tool is found etc. etc.

D

dasamit123

Thanks Andy, for your reply.

Actually, I am facing problem in convincing some of european plants of my company, that 5S can be effective in cost reduction or improving productivity. While selling any idea, we need to provide some facts and/or cash benefits. Some units say that its is just improvised cleaning and nothing more. They already have a system of housekeeping and I know, 5S will obviously add further value to it. But, unless I show, some case studies in terms of impact on profictability or give them some attraction in terms of cost reduction possibilities, it is becoming difficult. Qualitative benefits are convincing ones but, it is suitable to only those who have already seen it implemented somewhere in his career history, but to convince someone, who is new to this concept is challenging.

Please suggest something, which I can use as an example.

Regards
Amit Kumar

Amit;

Good deal! Why not make a video of the typical workplace/workcell where the 5S would bring most benefit? As you know, if you were implementing an entire "lean' program, you'd probably diagram (spaghetti style) the walk the operator/s make. Since you are unlikely to get that help, you could video or make many still photos to demonstrate how much wasted traveling is involved in an 'un-5S' ed space.

I have some poor photos which actually show the operator in the 'future' state standing drinking tea because he has so much time on his hands!! Not before 5S though!!

J

John Nabors - 2009

Amit-

Or, you might try pointing out to your superiors that 5S is one of the foundations of the Toyota Production System and ask them: do you want to imitate the success of Toyota, or do you just want to keep making Yugos? :notme:

Kind Regards -John

S

sixsigmais

Thanks Andy, for your reply.

Actually, I am facing problem in convincing some of european plants of my company, that 5S can be effective in cost reduction or improving productivity. While selling any idea, we need to provide some facts and/or cash benefits. Some units say that its is just improvised cleaning and nothing more. They already have a system of housekeeping and I know, 5S will obviously add further value to it. But, unless I show, some case studies in terms of impact on profictability or give them some attraction in terms of cost reduction possibilities, it is becoming difficult. Qualitative benefits are convincing ones but, it is suitable to only those who have already seen it implemented somewhere in his career history, but to convince someone, who is new to this concept is challenging.

Please suggest something, which I can use as an example.

Regards
Amit Kumar
Use the idea on cost saving. 5s save space, save time and easy to get tools.

Use some example and calculate the cost compare on before and after 5S

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Quantifying Cost Benefits associated with a Particular Task Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
N Quantifying our QMS Objectives - Your Thoughts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Quantifying "Risk" as a Usable Management Metric Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
I Quantifying the Effect of Excessive Within-Part Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Calculating Repeat Business for the purpose of quantifying a Quality Objective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Benefits and Risks Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 7
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M Benefits of Safety Helmet in manufacturing factory Service Industry Specific Topics 2
R Business Benefits from IATF 16949 QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
B Costs, Benefits, and Consequences of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W What are the benefits of ISO 27001 for my IT Organization IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
W What are the benefits of ISO 27000 to my company? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Guidance Document - Benefits-Risks Factors to consider for 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ajit Basrur New Study Shows Brain Benefits Of Bilingualism Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
P What are the benefits of certified ISMS for ISO 27001 standard? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
T Bottom Line Benefits of Management Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 12
M Tax benefits of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Benefits of Blister Packaging for Pharmaceutical Products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Benefits of the use of Audit Guidance Tools during the Audit Process Internal Auditing 5
S Benefits of Internal Audit Schedules Internal Auditing 11
K Staff sees no tangible ISO 9001 benefits in 12 months Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Can anyone outline the advantages to an organisation - ISO 9001 Benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q ASQ's CMQ Certification - Training Costs and Benefits Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K How do I oblige the company to give my last pay and benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
N Benefits of having an EDMS in a Construction Company Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Q What are the benefits of a Cross-Functional Internal Audit Team? Internal Auditing 14
K Free Access to ISO Magazines - Information on benefits of ISO standard The Reading Room 11
S How to quantify the Benefits of Internal and External OHS audits? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
F Benefits of Internal Audits in supporting Safety and Quality Management Systems Internal Auditing 5
R Industry Statistics on the benefits of Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C The Benefits of a QMS to your Business - Management Presentation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
C Role and Benefits of PIC/S (Pharmaceutical Inspection Cooperation Scheme) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Benefits of Improving Lead Time on Closing Supplier Corrective Action Requests Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
K Benefits of being an ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
E MBA (Masters of Business Administration) Benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
A Staff Training and Benefits to Staff of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Presentation on the benefits of ISO 9001 certification to the Board ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J ISO 10014 - Realising financial & economic benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
JoCam How do I show the benefits of a QMS to the Design Team? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
J Lean Six Sigma and the Environmental Benefits / trades off - your opinions please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
B Benefits and needs of a non mandatory document where it is just a paper. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Financial & Economic Benefits of a Quality Management System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Q ISO 9001 Registration to get new customers - What other benefits would ISO bring? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
bobdoering Judge Allows Delphi To End Salaried Retiree Benefits. World News 44