Quantity Discrepancy Tolerance Standard(s)?

RCasey88

Quality Assurance Representative
Hello All,
Here lately Ive been having a lot of issues recieving PO's from supplier with more or less pcs than what was on the PO. Its getting a bit out of hand and I , along with suppliers, are constantly revising our paperwork to match the actuals and its too much of a hassle and taking up to much time. One of my suppliers actually informed me that the "Industy Standard is 10% +/-" Is this accurate? Another supplier has a statement on their packing lists that there is a 5% +/-. I truly find this hard to believe especially since its a daily ordeal. If it is true, than I would like help in finding where that standard is. It would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It always helps if you give some context of the products in question. Are we talking electronic components, fasteners, COTS, etc...?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I have not heard of an industry +/- 10% standard for delivering what has been contracted to purchase.

RCasey88 raises a good point: is it a large quantity of inexpensive items that are counted by weight? If so, there is very likely variation but if this was the case I would wonder about their scales...

What does your contract say, if there is one besides your purchase orders? These are the governing documents, not some anonymous "+/- 10%" standard - or even 5% stated on packing lists.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
In this day and age of stressed supply chains, some companies are just playing silly games, especially when they know their customers have nowhere to go in the short term. Since this post was entered under the AS9100 forum, I will understand that such items are safety-critical, despite possibly being COTS. In my mind, this type of discrepancy is serious. Repeat offenses should be treated via supplier corrective actions and, if it persists, a new supplier should be developed.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
± 10% seems large to me (for mechanical components)... I suppose it is possible for some classes of components that there is a dimension that doesn't matter (or isn't specified) that has a wide allowable variance (for example, I think that for extruded plastic pipe the outer diameter is strictly specified, but that the wall thickness is simply a minimum for the schedule) but I'd check the reference standards for the components where you are seeing the variability.

I did a quick check of a 2000 copy of ASME B18.8.2 (table 1), and the commercial class size 4 taper pin has an average diameter of 0.2500 with a max diameter of 0.2513 and a min diameter of 0.2493. The nominal length has a tolerance of ± 0.010 inches.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Quantity of CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Awais How to mistake proof - Shipping Orders with Shortages - Product Quantity Accountability mismatch with Job Traveller? Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
qualprod Calculate number of people in processes, considering cycle time/takt time = quantity of people Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
M GUDID - Change in Quantity Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Parts Lists - Use of the word "off" against Quantity Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
K Poka-Yoke for Quantity Shortage caused by Human Error Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
J Counting Bolts & Nuts to Pack - Each quantity is NOT fixed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Setup Time vs. Economic Run Quantity Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N In-Process Inspection Sampling Quantity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transport? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
Q Receiving Inspection - Quantity Received different from Pack List & C of C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P How to calculate the quantity of material handler Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Preventing Shortage of Product Quantity - Hand Count and Scale Count Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
L DPPM (Defective Parts Per Million) Reporting - Large Quantity Approach Benchmarking 8
S Determining the Total Sample Size using AQL - AQL Lot Quantity question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
Q Instructions for Use - Quantity Requirements (20 Pouches to a Box) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Blender and Coating Equipment Quantity Calculations Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Ordering more than needed quantity to cope with problematic suppliers AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
S EOQ (Economic Order Quantity) - Use for managing Customer Orders - asking help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
S FAI compliant to AS9102(A) - Quantity - Measurement Range Results Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L How to Avoid Missed Welds - Job shop and weld several small quantity jobs Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
L How to Audit a Quantity Surveying Consultancy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Quantity of Samples (Variables and Attributes) vs. C/I and T/I Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Y How to convince customer with sampling check on lot quantity? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M FDA - "Net Quantity of Contents" - Manufacturing Filling Process Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 12
A CDRH Guidance Document - Software bugs submitted in 510(k): Quantity or Quality? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Sterilization Dose Audit - Recommended Quantity of Samples/Batches ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Chemical Release Quantity - Environment Aspects & Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
O Final Inspection - QTY (Quantity) Check - Offset Printing Service Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
B DPPM - 'Standard' minimum quantity to measure DPPM? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
A Economic Order Quantity - Implementing Kanban Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Statistical Analysis in Low Quantity Production of 10 to 20 products each year Six Sigma 4
Ajit Basrur Sample Retention - Quantity, Retention Period, Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
A Sampling Plans and Cpk - Ways to Calculate the Sample Quantity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
P Has anyone ever heard of a Certificate of Quantity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S What is a good measurement quantity for Cp? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
W Are 8 hours of HazCom training required per year for Small Quantity Generators (SQG)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
J Packaging Errors - quantity, missing components Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
A Short Run Capability - Batch quantity is 15,000 to 20,000 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E Continuing a nightmare with the quantity of processes in organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Data Management - Quantity of digitally captured data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Is it a requirement that purchasing specifications state a quantity? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
B Cycle Count Audit Discrepancy Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
T The “use-by“ time limit - Terminology discrepancy - MEDDEV & HS EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
KyloDen Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourced General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11