Quarterly Dose Audit

How do you perform dose audits for products manufactured at different suppliers? i.e., casted, polished and packaged at different suppliers.
We have products manufactured at different suppliers but final cleaned, packaged and sterilized at the same vendor.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hello SMJaliparthi,

Supplier audits are done against the processes they are contracted to provide. If final cleaning and sterilization takes place at final, then casting/polishing suppliers would not realistically be audited against dosing (I take it you are referring to Gamma sterilization) unless you require them to be dosing. I would, however expect that their cleanliness requirements to be more like free of dirt, grease etc. and packaged in a manner already approved by your organization.

What is your requirement of them? Have cleanliness and packaging requirements been established for the parts?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
How do you perform dose audits for products manufactured at different suppliers? i.e., casted, polished and packaged at different suppliers.
We have products manufactured at different suppliers but final cleaned, packaged and sterilized at the same vendor.
I understand that the minimum cleanliness requirements at the various suppliers is determined and the process validated based on the final product sterilization validation. One approach is to carefully monitor the cleanliness process validation at the suppliers and identify changes made if any and how the revalidation was done and was ensured that the changes did not alter the challenge posed in the final product sterilization. An added way is to ensure that you have established good change control agreements with the different suppliers and the same are periodically renewed and come within your dose audit scope.

Hello SMJaliparthi,

Supplier audits are done against the processes they are contracted to provide. If final cleaning and sterilization takes place at final, then casting/polishing suppliers would not realistically be audited against dosing (I take it you are referring to Gamma sterilization) unless you require them to be dosing. I would, however expect that their cleanliness requirements to be more like free of dirt, grease etc. and packaged in a manner already approved by your organization.

What is your requirement of them? Have cleanliness and packaging requirements been established for the parts?
Thank you .
Yes, Gamma sterilization. The cleanliness requirements have been established. The problem is identifying a product type / simulated product to conduct dose audit as these are manufactured at different sites. Can I have a simulated unit ( coupon ) made at one of these facilities and perform the dose audit ?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you .
Yes, Gamma sterilization. The cleanliness requirements have been established. The problem is identifying a product type / simulated product to conduct dose audit as these are manufactured at different sites. Can I have a simulated unit ( coupon ) made at one of these facilities and perform the dose audit ?
This is where your traceability requirement comes into effect. Yes, you can have simulated unit linked with the various manufacturers, perhaps even a shape defined scientifically for a particular manufacturer, and you have these supplied along with the identified batch, for the quarterly dose audit. You have to establish the process and trend the result over time to build the confidence levels.
Additionally THIS could be helpful to you.....

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I don't see anything within ISO11137 that allows the use of simulated units for dose audits. The purpose behind the quarterly dose audit is to ensure the continued validity of the sterilization dose and to identify any change in the level and resistance of bioburden. If you have different manufacturing processes then the bioburden may differ, so your rationale for the product families should be carefully considered.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alonFAI Quarterly Dose Audit Medical Device VDmax Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Quarterly Gamma Dose Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Missed Quarterly Dose Audit! Sterilization Validation of Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
M Radiation (Gamma or E-beam) Dose Audit SOP - Quarterly dose audits based on ISO 11137 Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
P Quarterly Dose Verification for e-beam Sterilization Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Gamma Ray Sterilization Quarterly Dose Auditing Supplier Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Gamma Quarterly Audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Quarterly to semiannual audit of irradiation sterilization Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Accurate Quarterly Inventory Turn Numbers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
V Management Review - Not all items covered during quarterly review. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Call for Articles - CMM Quarterly Magazine The Reading Room 3
Marc CMM Quarterly - The making of musical instruments Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
O Quarterly Review with Suppliers - Discussion topics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
GStough Internal Audit Frequency Schedule: Monthly, Quarterly, or Bi-Annually? Internal Auditing 46
Marc GM plunges into $1bn quarterly loss World News 28
CarolX Quarterly vs. Yearly Internal Audits Internal Auditing 15
R Using R package to implement Bayesian phase I/II dose-finding design for three outcomes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
E Unit Dose Packaging Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Dental radiographic X-ray imaging: dose to patients Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Calibration of Dose Area Product (DAP) Meter in our Class IIb X-Ray Medical Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Radiation Sterilization Dose Audit: Bioburden frequency Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
H Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M ISO 11137 - Verification dose audit for VD max method Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Dose Mapping - How to relate back to Routine Monitoring Position ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Dose Consistency of Insulin Formulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Setting Solid Dose Drug Fill Count Ranges Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
A Help needed for Fighting a specifically identified Organism found during Dose Audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
E Auditing sterilization dose substantiated Vdmax 25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
G Dose Audit Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 7
E ISO 11137 gamma sterilized device dose audit - Lead time? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Sterilization Dose Audit - Recommended Quantity of Samples/Batches ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Pharmaceutical Non conformances SOP - Solid oral dose start up company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Nuclear Medicine Dose Calibrator Classification (MDD) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M How to answer ISO9001:2015 audit finding of old revisions of documents being used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
I Audit is tomorrow but I refused to participate Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
I ISO 17025:2017 / ANAB 3125 - Articulating / Communicating Risks vis-a-vis Audit Findings ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Verify Audit Trail of SaaS system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Re-labeler - audit the supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Outsourced Internal Audit requirements for Aerospace Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
A PPAP question for audit APQP and PPAP 16
D Number of people to be interviewed during an internal audit? Internal Auditing 6