Quarterly vs. Yearly Internal Audits

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
need the experts advice

I need some opinions here----

and I know this may not be "best pratice", but....

We want to change our internal audit schedule from quartly audits (auditing 1/4 of the manual per quarter) to anual audit of the whole system?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
CarolX

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Aaron Lupo

Carol, I see absoutley nothing wrong with that as long as you can show that your system is opearting effectivly. There is no requirement that audits be done monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly etc..., the only thing I would have a problem with is, if I was your registrar and when I come in I see lets of non-conformances. However, if I come in and things look pretty clean then that would suffice. You want to make sure you look at your system evaluate it and the areas where you see more problems occuring bump up the frequency of the audits for them. JMHO.

R

Randy Stewart

Carol,
Depending on the size of the company and the amount of internal inquisitors you have, you may want to back down in steps. Instead of quarterly try 6 months before jumping to 1 year. Just in the event that the first surveillance audit happens to find an increase in discrepancies. Just a thought, BTW we are at 9 month intervals and haven't had a problem.

Annual Schedules

Sometimes I think Stew and I are chasing each other around the Cove. Perhaps one of us talks (writes) too much!:D

Annual scheduling of audits can have some drawbacks and I encourage you to think about it. First of all, it does not necessarily meet the status and importance test. Secondly, audits might be spread out too far to react to changes in the QMS, or business.

One company I worked with solved both of the above by instituting "supplemental" audits. These audits are initiated 30 days after a triggering event, such as a major change in a process, or an update of a procedure.

Another company performs theirs at 6 months, three months after the survellience audts. This way audits are being performed quarterly, but only using the resorurces of semi-annual audits.

Don't be afraid to use the information of survellience, or 2nd party audits to your advantage!

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
The whole She-Bang

We also audit each process once a year, but ensure that it is scheduled midyear to the period audit done 3rd-party.

As long as your programme is effective and you can prove it...it's your call!

Eileen

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think a 6 month schedule is the way to go. Schedule it so your schedule ends the month before your surveillance audit. This way you and the auditor are working off the same snapshot.

M

M Greenaway

Carol

Audits should scheduled based on status and importance, not just routinely done at a prescribed frequency.

Martin said:
Audits should scheduled based on status and importance, not just routinely done at a prescribed frequency
I agree, as stated in my earlier post. However, just a not so random thought ...what if our system is fairly mature, and there is not a great need for change (a bit of a stretch). We could conceivably audit quarterly or even every six months (Is that bi-annually?) and still meet the status and importance requirements.

I admit that this is a stretch, and most organizations may shout this, but rarely will be able to meet the need.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with M Greenway, status and importance must be included per the 94 ,although the 00 standard has lessened this by the words "taking into consideration" 8.2.2. All 3rd parties ask for the schedule and then ask what is in place for status and importance. For most the schedule is based on importance. Status can be tricky, trends id. during internal audits should be looked into during subsequent audits.

M

M Greenaway

db

If all your areas of audit were of equal importance (i.e. criticallity to the business/quality), and equal status (i.e. all operating at the same performance level - however determined). Then you could do that - but its a long shot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alonFAI Quarterly Dose Audit Medical Device VDmax Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Quarterly to semiannual audit of irradiation sterilization Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Accurate Quarterly Inventory Turn Numbers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Quarterly Dose Verification for e-beam Sterilization Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Gamma Ray Sterilization Quarterly Dose Auditing Supplier Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Quarterly Gamma Dose Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Missed Quarterly Dose Audit! Sterilization Validation of Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
V Management Review - Not all items covered during quarterly review. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Radiation (Gamma or E-beam) Dose Audit SOP - Quarterly dose audits based on ISO 11137 Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
M Call for Articles - CMM Quarterly Magazine The Reading Room 3
Marc CMM Quarterly - The making of musical instruments Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
O Quarterly Review with Suppliers - Discussion topics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
GStough Internal Audit Frequency Schedule: Monthly, Quarterly, or Bi-Annually? Internal Auditing 46
Marc GM plunges into $1bn quarterly loss World News 28
R Why is Canada's SOR/98-282 Amended Yearly? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
B Internal Audit/Checks (7.1?) - Entire System Yearly? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Modelling Yearly Cyclical Failures Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Is MS Outlook a sufficient reminder to perform yearly supplier evaluations? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J Doing a "yearly" mass calibration of gages over the weekend. Any advice? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Yearly Cleanroom Revalidation Test Requirements - Questions for users clean room ISO7 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
C 9001 Corporate Quality Audit - Yearly Audit on the Individual Business Units General Auditing Discussions 4
E Quality Assurance on Event Organizing (Medical Conferences, Yearly Festivals, etc.) Service Industry Specific Topics 0
I Where in the TS 16949 standard is Yearly PPAP Re-Validation Required IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Yearly resubmission of PPAP - Required by the PPAP manual? APQP and PPAP 7
M Types of Yearly Quality Goals for all Manufacturing Associates Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D How to set my quality dimension yearly target based on prior years data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
pammesue Management Review - Move to yearly from twice yearly ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
M PPAP Review Updated yearly but not send to Customer - Is it Right? APQP and PPAP 12
G Are Internal Audits of the Quality System required by the FDA yearly? Internal Auditing 6
J Yearly minimum budget for training provided to employees? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R Requirements for Quality Inspectors to have Yearly Eye Exams Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
T Gage R&R Yearly Frequency Acceptance - Attribute gages - ISO/TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Half a Million U.K. Patients Are Hit Yearly by NHS Blunders World News 0
O Surface Plates Resurfaced and Calibrated yearly - Is this necessary? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Procedure for Half Yearly Electronic Thermometer Ice Point Check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Job Descriptions - Is a yearly review of job descriptions required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
G Can registrar revocate our TS 16949 certificate? We haven't had a yearly audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Quality Digest 2004 Salary Survey - Yearly Elsmar Cove Poll - Where do YOU stand? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
H TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 - Yearly Layout Inspection Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Marc No More Yearly Quality Digest Registrar Rating? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
G Cost Of PPAP - What is the average cost? Is there a Yearly cost? APQP and PPAP 8
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2