Question about API Q1 - Can Design be Excluded?

V

Virgil 1

Dear colleagues in the Quality field.
I saw this site which I think that is very very interesting and helpfull for all of us.
I work for a company which apply for registering ISO 9001-2000 and API Q1, in the same time.
The problem we have is that our company doesn't has a design department and it's very difficult having one.
As for the ISO we have the possibility to apply exclusions (and to obtain the certification on different modules), I read on the API Q1 standard that design is absolute necessarily. Is it possible to subcontract another company for making the design process for us? Is this considered as we can control the design process as the API requires?
Does anyone knows details about this matter?

Any idea is welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Virgil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N
Hi Virgil, I think that I can help. You think that you have problems, we have a tri-scope ISO9002:1994, API Q1 and QS9000! You have hit on a real problematic area with Q1 though. In my humble opinion the authors of Q1 did not really understand ISO 4.2 Quality Planning. We manufacture oil and gas pipe 5L and 5CT so I can only discuss from this angle. First you must CLEARLY scope 4.4 design for API only in your quality manual. Since the API specifictions really already denote the product design, we documented and mapped how we controlled the steel grade development, our process development (4.2.3), design verification on trial material (i.e. testing lab), design validation on full production material, documented reviews along the way and finally how chemisty or process changes are controlled. You do these thing anyway I'm sure but if you flowchart it as a "design" process you will be okay. If you need more help with this or want to discuss Q1 contact me at [email protected] I hope this helps. Good Luck

D

Del Foster

Re: Question about API Q1!

Dear colleagues in the Quality field.
I saw this site which I think that is very very interesting and helpfull for all of us.
I work for a company which apply for registering ISO 9001-2000 and API Q1, in the same time.
The problem we have is that our company doesn't has a design department and it's very difficult having one.
As for the ISO we have the possibility to apply exclusions (and to obtain the certification on different modules), I read on the API Q1 standard that design is absolute necessarily. Is it possible to subcontract another company for making the design process for us? Is this considered as we can control the design process as the API requires?
Does anyone knows details about this matter?

Any idea is welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Virgil
API Q1, 8th edition section 1.2.1 (supplemental) clearly authorizes exclusions within clauses 7.3, 7.5.1, 7.5.2 and 7.5.4. Once your system is certified you can apply for a monogram licence to manufacture API specified parts according to the methods defined in appendix A of API Q1.

D

Del Foster

API Q1, 8th edition section 1.2.1 (supplemental) clearly authorizes exclusions within clauses 7.3, 7.5.1, 7.5.2 and 7.5.4. Once your system is certified you can apply for a monogram licence to manufacture API specified parts according to the methods defined in appendix A of API Q1.
google xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eric Ho

Hi all, There is a facebook page on the API Monogram program. You guys may want to visit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J API Q1 9th Edition - Question on Outsourcing 5.6.1.6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
M A question about "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Ed Panek Rule 11 Question - CE approvals for software as well as the medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3