Question about Quality Department employee position titles

Wanted to ask everyone how their Quality Assurance department is organized. In our company, the structure is as follows top top to bottom. Wanted to understand what other “positions” exist in the Quality world so that I can promote some employees that deserve it.

Top to bottom:
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr. Quality Engineer
- Quality Engineer
- Quality Coordinator
- Sr. Quality Technician
- Quality Technician
- Quality Administrator
I know in bigger companies they might have Quality Engineer I, II, III and so forth to create more opportunities for promotions.
Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Involved In Discussions
thsiao,

To me, on the face of it what you've described is for want of a better word...bloated. Does your department require 7 levels of titles? Mind you, my place is a small business of about 30 people and my quality team is me (manager and engineer) and a couple of inspectors.

What is the difference between each title?

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
My previous place:
-Director of Quality
- Quality Manager
- Quality Engineer
- Quality Technician
- Quality Inspector

Current:
Quality Manager
Quality Inspector

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Ours got even simpler after 2010,
"Quality Manager"
Duties include Engineering, Calibration, Production, Inspection, Internal Audits, Contract Review, production Planning, Management Rep, Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA), etc. etc.
Prior to that I did have two inspectors and a Calibration Tech.

François

Involved In Discussions
What keeps me excited could be new responsibilities, a change of department after few years. And rather than a new shiny job title, I always prefer to have a pay raise. That's how I feel valuable. :)
Currently I'm the only one in my QA department, thus I'm the QA manager of the company. So I can't really help you. And in my previous company we had :
QA director
QA manager (one for audit, one for release,...)
QA associates

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
For me, title does not motivate me. I know regardless of title, that overall my opinion is just that- my opinion. People are going to take it or leave it- I have no authority to make changes (but will still be frowned upon if something comes up during an audit- funny how that works).

Pay= eh, I mean it is always nice to be able to pay my bills but research shows that once an employee is at a "comfortable" wage pay isn't a motivator.

So what motivates me? A work place that LIKES people to succeed. A workplace that isn't a dictatorship. A workplace that realizes work life balance is important- my son needs to see his mom at school events, plays and to take care of him when he is sick. A workplace that will help me grow as an employee and person. A workplace that I am proud to be a part of from both an ethical and quality perspective.

If you have time, check out the articles below:

Does Money Really Affect Motivation? A Review of the Research

What Best Motivates You at Work? When 200,000 Employees Were Asked, This was Their No. 1 Response

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Question about test management tool (softwares) for Quality assurance department Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
W Interview question - Quality work documents Career and Occupation Discussions 7
T Interview Question - Conflict between Production and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 9
P House of Quality Functional Requirement question Six Sigma 4
C Question regarding Quality Manual Content and Specificity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Quality Procedure for 7.6 Calibration Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
B I have a question for people working in quality management auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
Moncia Salaries in Poland question - Quality Field Immigration and Expatriate Topics 6
K Quality System Manual question - Adding Satellite Facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Quality Manual - Formatting (print) Question Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
F Customer Quality Audit Question - Giving the auditor a "guided" tour General Auditing Discussions 21
A I need help on Six sigma and TQM - Quality Management course discussion question Six Sigma 3
T Outsourcing and Quality Control Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D How to conduct The Presidential Quality Audit? (Asking a question) General Auditing Discussions 4
V Quality Gurus: Question on Comparison of Philosophies: Deming, Crosby, Juran Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 23
ScottK The term "Quality Control Manual" - ASME B&PVC question Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J Implement TS16949 Quality System - How to answer Question at Interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
MarilynJ6354 Scope of Quality System: Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T ISO question at interview - Do you think ISO9001 is really about quality? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Career Change Question - Why did you choose Quality Engineer as starting job? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
K Quality Management System Manual question - References at the end of each section Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
G Question - Supplier Quality Manual: Content, Purpose, Format? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
B Dual Role Question - Metrologist AND Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
J Quality Policy question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9