Question about training on document revisions

J

jganto08

Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
You could use different competency levels based on the department. Those within the department would be knowledgeable enough to perform the task whereas those without the department would only need to be aware of the training.

This would also help to cover any interrelated items where one department should be generally aware of another department's actions and respond accordingly.

Of course, this may add a level of complexity into your training that you did not count on.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
My initial reaction is that all parties should be advised, even if not directly affected. Your other feedback also makes sense

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?
jganto08,

The process owner will already have run the proposed changes past the people they affect.

Ask the Process Owner to continue to bring every member of the process team up to speed on the approved changes and for the competency criteria to be updated as necessary.

Expect more process monitoring until the changes are bedded in.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Document Control of Training Work Instructions question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
K Caliso IATF16949 Auditor Training question Internal Auditing 1
S Retention of Training Records question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Calibration Training and Certification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
arios Online Internet Training question - Has anyone used AccelCert Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
W Certification Training Question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
J Training & Competency - ISO 13485 - Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S General Documentation Question-Training Center Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Training Question for Medical Device Manufacturer (820.25 b - Training Identified) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
T Industrial Robotics Programming Training Question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S QMR Training question - The basic needs for a Management Representative Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
J Internal Audit question - Training failure of new employees Internal Auditing 30
J Training Question - Maintain copies of *what* people were trained on? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 26
P Question for ISO9000 auditor training General Auditing Discussions 3
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T GDT Callout Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Ed Panek Rule 11 Question - CE approvals for software as well as the medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 20
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J IEC 60601-1, ed 3.1 - Blue icon question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4