Question about training on document revisions

J

jganto08

Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
You could use different competency levels based on the department. Those within the department would be knowledgeable enough to perform the task whereas those without the department would only need to be aware of the training.

This would also help to cover any interrelated items where one department should be generally aware of another department's actions and respond accordingly.

Of course, this may add a level of complexity into your training that you did not count on.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
My initial reaction is that all parties should be advised, even if not directly affected. Your other feedback also makes sense

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?
jganto08,

The process owner will already have run the proposed changes past the people they affect.

Ask the Process Owner to continue to bring every member of the process team up to speed on the approved changes and for the competency criteria to be updated as necessary.

Expect more process monitoring until the changes are bedded in.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Document Control of Training Work Instructions question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
K Caliso IATF16949 Auditor Training question Internal Auditing 1
S Retention of Training Records question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Calibration Training and Certification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Online Internet Training question - Has anyone used AccelCert Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
W Certification Training Question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
J Training & Competency - ISO 13485 - Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S General Documentation Question-Training Center Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Training Question for Medical Device Manufacturer (820.25 b - Training Identified) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
T Industrial Robotics Programming Training Question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S QMR Training question - The basic needs for a Management Representative Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
J Internal Audit question - Training failure of new employees Internal Auditing 30
J Training Question - Maintain copies of *what* people were trained on? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 26
P Question for ISO9000 auditor training General Auditing Discussions 3
Ed Panek Question from 13485 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Question on KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis device) classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
T BMW GS 93010-2 Question Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S FDA 510(K) submission question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Ron Rompen Question regarding CMM probe damage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C Complaint Return Sample Size Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
8 Drawing Feature Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Question: How to analyze numerical and attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
D Question on electronic signatures and initials on batch records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Special Characteristic question from Automotive CSR Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
Ron Rompen GDT Question - is this even correct? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A PPAP question for audit APQP and PPAP 16
C ISO Question - Do you say "I-S-O" or "I-Soh"? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
D Question regarding where "validations" fit according to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Question on Supplier Quality (SCAR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A +0/-.001 Tolerance question - Feature size is 1.249 +0/-.001 - Actually measures 1.2493 (.0003 OHL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Design Change/ECO Related Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Configuration Item definition question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Quality Management System Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
I IMDS Error Message Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
C Gauge R&R Question Using Minitab Software 1
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Question on equipment - when to use reference only or research only stickers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Work Instruction Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Clinical Decision Support Software Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 - Question 7.3 - "blocking of parts" VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Equipment Register and PM question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2