Question about training on document revisions

J

jganto08

Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
You could use different competency levels based on the department. Those within the department would be knowledgeable enough to perform the task whereas those without the department would only need to be aware of the training.

This would also help to cover any interrelated items where one department should be generally aware of another department's actions and respond accordingly.

Of course, this may add a level of complexity into your training that you did not count on.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
My initial reaction is that all parties should be advised, even if not directly affected. Your other feedback also makes sense

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,

Right now in our training procedure it is not defined, but I figured I would ask to see what other people do.

Lets say you have a Standard Operating Procedure, Revision 1, that involves work done by the Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Quality Control group.

I make a revision to the document, so now it becomes Rev 2, but the changes I make only affect the Manufacturing department.

For simple changes we do Read and Understood awareness training. So should we do Read and Understood for all 3 departments, or just the department who the change affects.

For me, I would just train the department who the change affects. It would be pointless to make someone "train" on a change that doesn't affect them. I'm hearing some other feedback that all departments should get trained, because then it will look like they are not all trained on the same version of the SOP.

Any thoughts?

jganto08,

The process owner will already have run the proposed changes past the people they affect.

Ask the Process Owner to continue to bring every member of the process team up to speed on the approved changes and for the competency criteria to be updated as necessary.

Expect more process monitoring until the changes are bedded in.

John

Top Bottom