Question about training

Randy

Super Moderator
You can change your manual, because ISO 9001 doesn’t require “training”.
Correct, except............... (see below)

Great.

No training required less work for me.

WRONG! It was a requirement when the audit took place and the if there is a negative finding (Non-conformance) you'll have to do corrective action with part of correction being a revising of the manual.

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
Thank you.
Im just going to create an online database system to create anything that i need. I was just curious about, operators trainning after 3-5 yrs what other things can they be trained on and it can be anything. All iso/As9100 requirements in my company are handle with excell spreadsheets, and is hard to keep up with everything. Now with a database system anything can be done and faster.

Thank you guys.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
:blowup:What the heck is this thread about?
Of course some level of training is necessary. And some jobs require recertification every year or 2 or 5 depending on regulatory requirements or even Customer requirements. Some probably should be recertified on a regular basis. But that depends on the job and the Company. But there is no requirement for retraining of everyone on everything. Nor should everyone be trained on nothing.
Now you are bringing up a database to track whatever and that solves your problem?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Thank you.
Im just going to create an online database system to create anything that i need. I was just curious about, operators trainning after 3-5 yrs what other things can they be trained on and it can be anything. All iso/As9100 requirements in my company are handle with excell spreadsheets, and is hard to keep up with everything. Now with a database system anything can be done and faster.

Thank you guys.
ISO asks for competency, not training. While training is generally expected to assist in achieving competency, managing that is not about Excel spreadsheets, databases, annual refresher trainings etc.

I have seen a set of training arrangements for this, for example:
  • Incoming: orientation and regulated training
  • Job-specific training, including OJT and qualification for specific responsibilities
  • Re-training if personnel have been away from their roles for x period of time (as determined by the organization based on the tasks' complexity and criticality, e.g. chemical plant operators)
  • Specialty training, e.g. for particular IT security certification in order to help secure the networks
  • Supervisor and Manager development training and education
  • Regulated training on a frequency called out by statute
  • Others as the organization identifies
ISO asks that we determine and record competency. It does not ask that we run training xyz annually.

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
ISO asks for competency, not training. While training is generally expected to assist in achieving competency, managing that is not about Excel spreadsheets, databases, annual refresher trainings etc.

I have seen a set of training arrangements for this, for example:
  • Incoming: orientation and regulated training
  • Job-specific training, including OJT and qualification for specific responsibilities
  • Re-training if personnel have been away from their roles for x period of time (as determined by the organization based on the tasks' complexity and criticality, e.g. chemical plant operators)
  • Specialty training, e.g. for particular IT security certification in order to help secure the networks
  • Manager development training and education
  • Regulated training on a frequency called out by statute
  • Others as the organization identifies
ISO asks that we determine and record competency. It does not ask that we run training xyz annually.

Thank you.
Is help that i need and this helps me a lot thank you.

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
:blowup:What the heck is this thread about?
Of course some level of training is necessary. And some jobs require recertification every year or 2 or 5 depending on regulatory requirements or even Customer requirements. Some probably should be recertified on a regular basis. But that depends on the job and the Company. But there is no requirement for retraining of everyone on everything. Nor should everyone be trained on nothing.
Now you are bringing up a database to track whatever and that solves your problem?

Im new as quality manager, im new where im working. and im new in elsmar.com and my english sucks. thank you for your words have a great weekend.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Im new as quality manager, im new where im working. and im new in elsmar.com and my english sucks. thank you for your words have a great weekend.
Sam.F, we are here for you and want to ensure we give good answers to questions as soon as possible.

If you have a question about an audit finding, it is helpful to give specific language that can help us understand what you are asking about. It is also helpful to tell us which standard you are involved with, as their requirements can be very different. A description of your industry can also help us give useful responses sooner.

We want the best for you and hope to see you in future. Be well!

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Sam.F as Jennifer said it is good for you to come here and ask questions since you are new to the Quality Manager roel and to your company. Language differences are always difficult as words matter in Quality (as in other things where clarity of communication is critical). Even those who are ‘proficient’ in English struggle at time s to clearly communicate - so taking time to clearly state your question and being very specific in the situation that prompts the question is essential to your learning.

I would suggest that there have been times where you have made what are interpreted as firm statements in your posts that were not representative of the truth Or good quality practice. Perhaps you didn’t mean it that way or perhaps you misunderstood what we were saying or perhaps you jumped to a conclusion too quickly…This is the kind of thing that takes time, patience and thought to ensure clarity of communication in a language that one is not proficient at.

Quality is not easy or quick to learn. It is as complicated and deep as any other engineering or science discipline. Unfortunately it isn’t taught like other engineering disciplines and there is a lot of misinformation, shallow thinking and ‘cut and paste’ mentality out there that makes it even more difficult learn. Good luck and I echo Jennifer’s hope that you continue on this path even tho it is not an easy one

Rol2292

Registered
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question - but how can a one man business show competency for their ISO 9001 stage 1 audit? I'm new to this and trying to gets things in order for S1.

Thank you!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
how can a one man business show competency
Competency in what?

The thing that surprises me in your post is the fact that it is the only question you have. When a one man band company is forced to attain ISO 9001 certification, it has to make so many artificial, non-sensical, silly things “to demonstrate” conformity to an external auditor and add absolutely no value whatsoever.

As I have said a number of times here, any organization that requires a one man shop supplier to attain ISO 9001 certification is either:

1. trying to get rid of the supplier, or
2. does not understand the first thing about ISO 9001, certification or quality. Maybe all 3.

Top Bottom