Question on equipment - when to use reference only or research only stickers

duff999

Involved In Discussions
I am looking for some advice on how to determine or when to place "for reference only", or "for research only" stickers/labels on equipment used in the lab. I've always used the rule that if the piece of equipment is used in a "locked in process" or affects product quality I would not label it this way. When would I use these labels?

Any help is appreciated

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Better questions: Under what circumstances would I be willing to use a measurement device of unknown accuracy and precision to generate data of unknown quality? What would I do with such data?

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Better questions: Under what circumstances would I be willing to use a measurement device of unknown accuracy and precision to generate data of unknown quality? What would I do with such data?
Very good point, thank you. I guess what I was getting at was that we have a stir plate used in the lab, it was mostly used for R&D purposes. We are now transitioning into a locked down process and this piece of equipment could be used in production. We do not calibrate this piece of equipment and I was not clear if these pieces should be labeled reference only.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
You might want to remind R&D that if their results are going to be used to support a design history file or technical file, then the equipment should be calibrated.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
You might want to remind R&D that if their results are going to be used to support a design history file or technical file, then the equipment should be calibrated.
Thanks Chris - the items used that might affect product quality are calibrated at the assigned intervals. I'm trying to wrap my head around the equipment used for "general purpose". Lets take a stir plate for example, we are not using that for any type of final measurement but it does sit in our laboratory, I'm just unclear when equipment needs this "for reference only" label

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
A stir plate would typically have the following controls: Speed, duration, and possibly temperature. Could any of these variables impact the results of any tests that you may perform? If so, calibrate these as process controls. If not, I would label them as "Calibration not required" and document the rationale in a risk assessment because you will probably have to defend it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Equipment Register and PM question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Software Validation for Equipment - Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R IEC 60601-2-18 Endoscopic Medical Electronic Equipment question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K IEC 61010-2-100 Labeling question - IVD equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Question about what FDA looks for in equipment validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T Measurement Equipment Shelf Rack Labeling Requirements question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) - One question Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
I IMDS Error Message Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
C Gauge R&R Question Using Minitab Software 1
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Work Instruction Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Clinical Decision Support Software Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 - Question 7.3 - "blocking of parts" VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding "storage and distribution" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Study sign off question / responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4