Questionable President - John Quincy Adams

• Thread starter TheGoldenBlazer
  • Start date

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Understood, but the nineteenth amendment wasn't ratified until the summer of 1920.
.Yep. Probably the correct answer on a citizenship test, but fact is a number of U.S. States west of the Mississippi River (frontier exigencies) granted women the right to vote before the nineteenth amendment extended suffrage to all women 21 and over.

It was a similar situation for racial suffrage granted by the 15th amendment because a number of states had already granted former slaves and others the right to vote.

It might be interesting to compare "suffrage" (right to vote and hold office) to naturalization. Naturalization of foreign immigrants and migrants was passed in 1790. It set some minimum rules for duration of residency and a declaration of loyalty in court. Gradually, Naturalization evolved to today's process under the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
.Yep. Probably the correct answer on a citizenship test, but fact is a number of U.S. States west of the Mississippi River (frontier exigencies) granted women the right to vote before the nineteenth amendment extended suffrage to all women 21 and over.

The amendment said nothing about age; that was left to the states to decide until the 26th amendment (ratified in 1971), which prohibits states from setting a minimum voting age higher than 18.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Apparently John Quincy Adams was such a poor husband/family man that his own wife didn't even vote for him when he ran for president...why not?

Quincy Adams is one of my favorite presidents. Calling him a poor husband / family man is outrageous.

I suggest that you retract that statement.

T

TheGoldenBlazer

Relax my cover friends, it's a riddle, I have to get the mind distracted some how. Quincy Adams was a fine president!

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The question could have been: While historians argue over whether John Quincy Adams was a poor husband/family man or not, all agree that his wife did not even vote for him, this begs the question; why not?

Last edited:

Michael_M

I had several days to think about this. I ran into the same issue. The way the riddle was written did not use the 'bad husband/family man' as the distract, it was the reason. I know I am being picky, I think it comes from my job :notme:

Hazards of the job, almost as bad as a paper cut.

Mikishots

I had several days to think about this. I ran into the same issue. The way the riddle was written did not use the 'bad husband/family man' as the distract, it was the reason. I know I am being picky, I think it comes from my job :notme:

Hazards of the job, almost as bad as a paper cut.

PaulJSmith also saw this in post #7. :yes:

Top Bottom