Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
When we do internal audits we are likely to ask staff what the quality policy is and how what they do contributes to the achevement of the policy.

When we audit top management we might ask about things like:

[FONT=&quot]How do they know their system is effective?
What improvements have they initated?
Which processes do they have a direct impact on?
Which processes are the the people who report to them are responsible for?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would it be somewhat cheeky, or even worse, to ask the top mangement person what the quality polciy is and how do they contribute the achievement of the policy?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would I be regarded as a smart arse if I asked them what are the objectives of the quality policy were?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why would I want to ask these questions? Well; our quality policy is a typical A4 page that, in my view, says a lot but commits to nothing so I would ask the top managment person this question to see how well they understood, interpreted it and thereore test their ability to communciate it to the lower orders. If they could not adequately answer the question, I would be trying to help them see that they may need to re-visist it and make it much more easy to understand and relate to by the rest of the staff and therefore make it easier to communiate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would ask about the objectives of the quality system to see if they match with answers given by other senior staff and others further down the chain and if other aswers don't match then it may indicate a failure or weakness in the policy.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]thanks in advance
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
[FONT=&quot]Would it be somewhat cheeky, or even worse, to ask the top mangement person what the quality polciy is and how do they contribute the achievement of the policy?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Would I be regarded as a smart arse if I asked them what are the objectives of the quality policy were?[/FONT]
Hi Kgott,

That's not cheeky or "smart", just your job. It's management's responsibility to set the policy and ensure that objectives are established (ISO 9001 §5.1). The audit should establish compliance and raise NCs when any part of the system, including management, fails to meet requirements.

There's no harm in enjoying your job either. ;)

Pancho

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
When we do internal audits we are likely to ask staff what the quality policy is and how what they do contributes to the achevement of the policy.

When we audit top management we might ask about things like:

[FONT=&quot]How do they know their system is effective?
What improvements have they initated?
Which processes do they have a direct impact on?
Which processes are the the people who report to them are responsible for?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would I be regarded as a smart arse if I asked them what are the objectives of the quality policy were?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why would I want to ask these questions? Well; our quality policy is a typical A4 page that, in my view, says a lot but commits to nothing so I would ask the top management person this question to see how well they understood, interpreted it and therefore test their ability to communicate it to the lower orders. If they could not adequately answer the question, I would be trying to help them see that they may need to re-visit it and make it much more easy to understand and relate to by the rest of the staff and therefore make it easier to communicate.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would ask about the objectives of the quality system to see if they match with answers given by other senior staff and others further down the chain and if other answers don't match then it may indicate a failure or weakness in the policy.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]thanks in advance
[/FONT]
Attached is an exercise for Top Management. The questions can also be used during an actual internal audit.

Have fun!

Stijloor.

Attachments

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Why would I want to ask these questions? Well; our quality policy is a typical A4 page that, in my view, says a lot but commits to nothing so I would ask the top managment person this question to see how well they understood, interpreted it and thereore test their ability to communciate it to the lower orders. If they could not adequately answer the question, I would be trying to help them see that they may need to re-visist it and make it much more easy to understand and relate to by the rest of the staff and therefore make it easier to communicate.
If you have a view such as you detail above and if there is a chance that the top management was not fully involved in the understanding and framing of the quality policy., why wait for the internal audit to take it up. Can you not meet and discuss this out with the top management directly or through the MR. I guess you are the MR.
Just as any other function, the top management also comes under competency, awareness and training.

kgott

Thanks for your input Somashekar. Thats a good question and the answer is that I have already done that and I have suggested changes and an alternative policy.

One of the difficulties is that while we are the head office for Australia, we still come under the policy of the head office in the UK.

Another is that all the policies are formatted the same way using the same set out. Uniformity in content, structure and format is what is important and it just wouldnt do to have a one or two sentence quality policy as it would'nt sit right or look right compared to the others on the wall in foyer as you walk into this office area. Whe all other policys take up an A4 page the pictures etc, a one or two sentence policy with a couple of expansion paragraphs just would'nt do.

There is a little room for tweaking polices with regard to local legislation etc but little room for innovation and revolution in thinking.

I would suggest this a common problem in many places and not just here.

Thanks toStijloor I now have some questions to ask management which will hopefully get the message to them that if they don’t know or can't articulate the company policy how do they expect others to and how do they expect it to mean anything to the troops?

cheers

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for your input Somashekar. Thats a good question and the answer is that I have already done that and I have suggested changes and an alternative policy.

One of the difficulties is that while we are the head office for Australia, we still come under the policy of the head office in the UK.

Another is that all the policies are formatted the same way using the same set out. Uniformity in content, structure and format is what is important and it just wouldnt do to have a one or two sentence quality policy as it would'nt sit right or look right compared to the others on the wall in foyer as you walk into this office area. Whe all other policys take up an A4 page the pictures etc, a one or two sentence policy with a couple of expansion paragraphs just would'nt do.

There is a little room for tweaking polices with regard to local legislation etc but little room for innovation and revolution in thinking.

I would suggest this a common problem in many places and not just here.

Thanks toStijloor I now have some questions to ask management which will hopefully get the message to them that if they don’t know or can't articulate the company policy how do they expect others to and how do they expect it to mean anything to the troops?

cheers
Whatever in the A4 from UK could be the vision statement / mission statement and let that be as is ...
Are you a part of the global certification of the head office at UK as a site ?

Yes / No.

If Yes: Get the explanation of the policy in terms of commitment to comply with requirements and continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system, and a framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives, and communicate such that all in your location / site understand it in the same meaning.

If No: Get your own quality policy that is communicated and understood in your site about aspects said above and is appropriate to the purpose of your division.

There is no any need that you have to hang on the wall a quality policy that you adopt to your organization.

J

JaneB

Would it be somewhat cheeky, or even worse, to ask the top mangement person what the quality polciy is and how do they contribute the achievement of the policy?
I will sound a note of caution: tread both cautiously and carefully, and double - no triple if not quadruple that - if you are of an organisational standing below that of the senior management you are auditing.

Even if you aren't intending to/being cheeky, you may be perceived as being so, or stepping outside your boundaries.

OK, maybe it 'shouldn't' be like that, but in my experience it's only a culturally very open or reasonably advanced organisation that can deal with this and is open to internal auditors asking those kinds of questions - some have enough trouble with being asked 'em by external auditors.

I would take great care to set a context for any such questions and explain what you are aiming to elicit from them, because one of the big dangers an internal auditor has to constantly be wary of is being thought/seen to tell managers how to do their job, or that they are not doing a good job. Be wary and be wise.

kgott

I will sound a note of caution: tread both cautiously and carefully, and double - no triple if not quadruple that - if you are of an organisational standing below that of the senior management you are auditing.

Even if you aren't intending to/being cheeky, you may be perceived as being so, or stepping outside your boundaries.

OK, maybe it 'shouldn't' be like that, but in my experience it's only a culturally very open or reasonably advanced organisation that can deal with this and is open to internal auditors asking those kinds of questions - some have enough trouble with being asked 'em by external auditors.

I would take great care to set a context for any such questions and explain what you are aiming to elicit from them, because one of the big dangers an internal auditor has to constantly be wary of is being thought/seen to tell managers how to do their job, or that they are not doing a good job. Be wary and be wise.

Thanks for that Jane, I was wondering about that. I guess I need to be very tactful should I proceed down that path.

I'm thinking that I will go about it using a back door method, by using an audit I will be doing in the next week or so in which I will asking about policy issues. (which I have learned from the cove.)

thanks -k

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Questioning legitimacy of CBs if not in IAQG-OASIS Database - AS9100 Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
M Surface plates - Questioning the need for periodic calibration of surface plates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
N Chrysler mandated LPA, Subjective Questioning, Appeal to Nobler Senses Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
A CB auditor questioning procedure for Identification of Aspects and Impacts? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 33
CarolX Stimulate some reader response by questioning the Value of Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
B OSHA Top Ten webinar, March 31 (free online) [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO 13485 Certificates Top 10 Countries - 2004 to 2017 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO 14001 Certificates Top 15 Countries - 1999 to 2017 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D Doing both a top-down and a bottom-up risk assessment - How to combine ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K About ionizers - How far can we place a table top ionizer from the IC devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Medical Device News ECRI – 2019 Top 10 Health Technology Hazards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Top Management Change Prior to Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q Risks Examples in Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Top Executive Management ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 Overview IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
N Root Cause Challenge: The guy at the top ... Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
M ECRI Top 10 Health Technology Hazards for 2017 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Who can Change goals and kpi of top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Engaging Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc 15 minute Top Management presentation on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A FTA-Top/Down approach to Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
SATHYABALARAMAN OHSAS 18001:2007 4.4.1 Top management appointee Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
D Best Engineering Practices related to Top Assembly Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Performance Qualification on a Table Top Centrifuge ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Chennaiite Can an Auditor question Top Management decision to approve deviation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
Y Differences between Top Management, Management & Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Marc ISO 9001:2015 Structure - Top Level Clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Uncertainty (Top Down Method)! Auditor argues that this is not enough Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
D Redundant BOMs - Maintaining a Reference Only BOM on our Top Level Assembly Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Recommended Sealing for Granite Top in a Clean Room US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Stijloor "Top Gear" (UK) Jeremy Drives a Reliant Robin Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
M The requirement for Communication via Top Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
Wes Bucey FWIW: Top Reported OSH Violations Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
SATHYABALARAMAN ISO Systems Annual Report to Top Management example wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Helping Top Management Prepare for an ISO 14001 Audit ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
B Categorization of Customer Complaint: Making Customers feel they are Top Priority Customer Complaints 4
L QMS for Service Company - Top Management wants to take the role of QMR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
AnaMariaVR2 The Top 12 FDA 2011 Warning Letters Report US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A Safety Culture in Top Management - The Workplace Safety & Health Act Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
V Thinkers50 - 2011 - The 50 top management thinkers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Should Internal Audit Plan be Approved by Top Management? Internal Auditing 19