Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I have been authorized to look into get AS9100 internal audit training. I have a couple of questions:

1. Currently I will be the only person with 'formal' training. I think I should get 'lead auditor training', the 5 day class instead of the 3 day internal auditor class. Would you recommend the 3 or 5 day class?

2. I will have to travel so location is not a big deal since I seriously doubt there will be one in the Reno, NV area. Is there a 'training' company I should avoid or one that is highly recommended?

We just got our AS9100 certification and we are trying to decide if we want to hire outside consultants or do internal audits in-house. I would prefer in-house so audits can be spread out over time instead of doing everything within 2-3 days.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have been authorized to look into get AS9100 internal audit training. I have a couple of questions:

1. Currently I will be the only person with 'formal' training. I think I should get 'lead auditor training', the 5 day class instead of the 3 day internal auditor class. Would you recommend the 3 or 5 day class?

2. I will have to travel so location is not a big deal since I seriously doubt there will be one in the Reno, NV area. Is there a 'training' company I should avoid or one that is highly recommended?

We just got our AS9100 certification and we are trying to decide if we want to hire outside consultants or do internal audits in-house. I would prefer in-house so audits can be spread out over time instead of doing everything within 2-3 days.
Michael,

Strictly speaking internal auditor training should be different from the training of second party auditors.

But I would still do the five-day class especially if you are also the management rep.

Try to select a trainer that enables you to determine your learning needs online before the class. Avoid trainers that focus solely on training third party auditors.

Become thoroughly familiar with the standards (AS9100 and ISO 19011) before the class so your questions and learning are more advanced during the class.

You should seek a certified course preferably in a city that enables you to visit with friends or family in the weekend after passing the exam.

Enjoy,

John

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
I would look for a training provider that provides RABQSA certified training. If you go to http://www.rabqsa.com/http://www.rabsqa.com they have a list of providers.

I took the 5 day class. Some of the extra time is devoted to the mechanics of the audit as well as substance. Things like choosing a team, scheduling of the audit and managing the audit and other auditors. I thought it was worthwhile but not always relevant to me. I hope you get a good class. I learned almost as much when we went off script and the group shared stories from the trenches.

But Mr. Broomfield had good advice. Know the standards well before class.

Last edited:

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
All registered courses will be similar in content......they need to be to be registered..
The difference is in the instructors which are typically contracted lead auditors. I have taught these for a firm in the UK (CMC International).
The auditor piece is the same for every industry (AS, medical, TS etc) what varies is the standard they present. Have seen good and bad.....again its all in the instructor and that is a **** shoot.

I prefer to have onsite training so that you can do a practical audit as part of the training...so you actually get to use what you learn real time not canned examples which many firms can do for you. I work with QPS out of Massachusetts doing that around the country/world.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
All registered courses will be similar in content......they need to be to be registered..
The difference is in the instructors which are typically contracted lead auditors. I have taught these for a firm in the UK (CMC International).
The auditor piece is the same for every industry (AS, medical, TS etc) what varies is the standard they present. Have seen good and bad.....again its all in the instructor and that is a **** shoot.

I prefer to have onsite training so that you can do a practical audit as part of the training...so you actually get to use what you learn real time not canned examples which many firms can do for you. I work with QPS out of Massachusetts doing that around the country/world.
Barb,

Some certified courses actually impart learning how to develop a process-based management system in addition to the subject matter that must be taught.

Especially useful if you're the management rep and this is another way in which these course graduates can serve their organization.

I agree that the training must continue outside the classroom with the planning, conduct and reporting of live audits.

John

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
A lot of it depends on your current knowledge of auditing and the standard. I would start with an internal audit course and then put that to use. Read and learn as much as you can. Then I would look at the lead auditor and do the 3 day. There may be some state grants that may help pay for it, so you may want to check that out.

My vote is to keep it in-house. If you want some fresh eyes many universities can do them as well as local ASQ persons. Many times it is just a matter of taking them out to lunch

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Michael,

I see you've received a few recommendations for the training to be onsite.

For a certified in-house course to be viable you'll need to find at least three more students.

Do you have other candidates? Do any of your suppliers need this training?

John

F

FMS-Steve

Internal Audit certification is what it is, we are AS certified company I found that there are online certifications which is a lot less than the one that you have to travel. When we were recertified last October my registered auditor was fine with the certificate. I have now trained my auditors to the standard.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I see you've received a few recommendations for the training to be onsite.

For a certified in-house course to be viable you'll need to find at least three more students.

Do you have other candidates? Do any of your suppliers need this training?

No, at this point it will be me. We are a small/medium sized manufacturer (build to print). About 30% of our business is Aerospace and we want to move this up to about 50% by increasing business. We have to do this slowly over 1-2 years (grow too fast can be bad, we did this once). We do have to watch costs which is why it will be me at this point.

Mostly, I am putting together a 'hire outside consultants vs. performing internal audits in-house' comparison to see which one works best to start with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q AS9100 Quiz Questions for Internal Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T AS9100 Shop Travelers - Six Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B The beginning of very general and not intriguing AS9100 questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Do auditors make concessions for smaller companies - AS9100 Small Company Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
P ISO9001:2000 vs. TS16949 vs. AS9100 - Differences and General Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A AS9100 procedures and format - Several questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
M Informational EU – Questions And Answers Related To The United Kingdom’s Withdrawal From The European Union With Regard To Industrial Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Two Questions about Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 51
R Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process. Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22