Questions asked already?

A

amanbhai

I noticed that some cove users are asking the same questions again which I beleive had already discussed in the cove.
How do we address this issue here?

G

Gert Sorensen

I noticed that some cove users are asking the same questions again which I beleive had already discussed in the cove.

A lot of the questions that come up again and again are logically from new members of the Cove, who does not not how to use the forum yet. Usually we guide them to the answers they need, explain how the search feature works or answer their questions in the post.

It serves no purpose to clubber someone over the head for making a slight error. Some of the newcomers are going to be productive members of the Cove, given time, and if we hassle them over petty things we may loose them. Just my :2cents:

Some of the newcomers are going to be productive members of the Cove, given time, and if we hassle them over petty things we may loose them. Just my :2cents:
Exactly. :agree1: Besides, it happens that old answers are no longer valid. We need to evolve and improve, just like the rest of the world.

Oh, btw: I moved this thread to this forum. I think it belongs here.

/Claes

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Good reply from Gert. If you termed those who had been around for several years and chalked up 100-200 posts as veterans, some may be guilty also (albeit unconsciously). If I am not mistaken, one was in the habit of harping over things like karma, when is the next revision of standards, validation versus verification, etc, etc. But that is his business and I am quite sure he isn't aware of it.

Under such circumstances, perhaps the moderator can amalgamate the thread with a relevant and existing one for better organization.

G

Gert Sorensen

I admit it! If you chalked up my replies only half of them would be relevant. I like to keep the tone light - some times. And, some of my replies are simply spin offs from my mindset, i.e. humour :D Still, i presume that it is better than all of them having no relevanse.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There is a box in the New Post page, next to where one puts the title, which allows for someone to do a quick search from there on what they're going to ask. That was one thing I've tried. Many times I have put in a 'Search Link' to help someone: Putting 'Search' links within posts.

But the bottom line is, over the years this has been, and always will be, an issue in any forum environment. Actually this thread is redundant in that we have discussed this in many threads alreads over the years

Gert's and Claes' points are well taken.

As to Harry's "amalgamate the thread", threads can be combined. The problem is posts are all put in order by date and threads become disjointed sometimes to the extent they simply don't make sense. And, as Claes pointed out, you start mixing old and new.

On the other hand some forums delete threads after a few years or so. Some do more frequently. I don't think this forum is big enough to need to 'trim' threads, but more important is the old threads are instructive in that, when taken in context and with respect to date, they give a picture of the evolution of the interpretations of the standards.

J

JRKH

It's the nature of the beast....

A search is great, when you have time and know how things work, but usually we are trying to get an answer in a hurry to cover some issue we are dealing with right now. So we throw out the question and see what comes back.

Plus asking the same, or similar, questions often yield new insights and points of view.

James

BradM

Leader
Admin

You know, that's a good question. I am a bit of a newbie to the Cove and to ASQ discussion board. If you think about it, it's a much different communication method. Saying, one has to learn (like everything else in life) how to properly use a discussion board, and it will come with time. I still learn things about the Cove and it's features every day.

Too, most people posting are desperate and frustrated. They are at the end of their rope, and the Cove is their last ditch effort to get information they can't get anywhere else.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
...Too, most people posting are desperate and frustrated. They are at the end of their rope, and the Cove is their last ditch effort to get information they can't get anywhere else.

And as already stated, often the OP is in a hurry for the answer, with little or no time to do a thorough search....

B

Bill Pflanz

One thing that I have noticed is the good memory of Covers. It seems no matter how unique or obscure the question, someone remembers it has been asked before and sends the person to the right thread. Sometimes it even gets the discussion started again with new thoughts as others have noted. After using this board and the one at ASQ, I have found it a useful, informative and generally accurate way to exchange quality subject matter. If I remember the history of the Internet, I think it was originally started to share information easily. Maybe we have just come full circle.

Bill Pflanz

Top Bottom