Questions regarding Medical Device Software "Level of Concern"

In the FDA Guidance for for the Content of Premarket Submissions for Software Contained in Medical Devices, determining the Level of Concern requires a determination of what level of injury could result from failure. I have two questions:

1. Is this determination based on only failure or should injury that is a result of unintended use be considered here? I know it does for risk analysis but I'm not sure about "level of concern".

2. Would permanent or long-term reddening or scarring on 1 square inch of forearm skin be considered as "permanent damage to a body structure", resulting in this being considered a serious injury and therefore a Major level of concern?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Questions regarding Medical Device Software Level of Concern

1. Is this determination based on only failure or should injury that is a result of unintended use be considered here? I know it does for risk analysis but I'm not sure about "level of concern".
A little tricky to answer but the software level of concern is based on the risk of the failure of the software. Would your software prevent this unintended use? One example I can think of would be a hand-held neurostimulation device - delivers electrical current to treat pain. The software can control, to a degree, the electrical delivery. The hardware limits it, though, so the worst case of software failure would be pain (not a fatal shock). The treatment is intend for topical use but is not indicated for, say, migraines. In theory, you could cause brain injury if you used the device at max setting at your temples. The software can't control that and no failure would address it so to me, that would be out of scope of consideration for level of concern.

2. Would permanent or long-term reddening or scarring on 1 square inch of forearm skin be considered as "permanent damage to a body structure", resulting in this being considered a serious injury and therefore a Major level of concern?
I *personally* wouldn't consider superficial scarring as such but I would recommend getting advice from a regulatory expert. It just doesn't seem to be in the vein of other parts of the definition (life threatening, impairment of a body function, or medical or surgical intervention)

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I thought I might use this topic, since it doesn't make much sense to duplicate it.
My problem is that I don't get certain things what FDA actually wants to see.
For example, from the guidance:
For Major Level of Concern Software Devices, this document should also include an annotated list of the control/baseline documents generated during the
software development process and a list or description of software coding standards.

What do they mean by the software coding standards? Is it about the programming style and practices or something completely different?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
J NB Auditor Questions regarding the move of the company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Questions regarding Non-Conformance, Corrective Action and Preventive Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Basic questions regarding Nuclear Quality Assurance standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
T Questions on ISO 10993-1 regarding listings of approved chrome plating alloys. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
apestate Thread micrometer questions, discussion regarding MU and calibration. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Hershal Questions regarding supply chain monitoring - Supplier monitoring group? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
M Informational EU – Questions And Answers Related To The United Kingdom’s Withdrawal From The European Union With Regard To Industrial Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Two Questions about Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
R Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process. Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22
A Expanded GR&R Study questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K California's Proposition 65 - Solvent and Stainless Steel Alloy questions RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
Q New Casting Supplier System Assessment - What technical questions to ask? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3