SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Questions that auditor may ask during the certification or 2nd stage audit.

A

alehman

Hello everyone: I am new to this forum and new to the Quality game. I am hoping that those of you with more experience can assist me. I work for a small company that is going for its first ISO certification, has passed through the first stage audit, and will be going through the second stage audit in a few weeks. I am working on preparing our employees, who have worked without written documentation for some twenty years, for the audit. My CEO would like them to know what they will be asked so they can be ready to answer those questions. What kind of questions should we expect?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.:truce:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

See ISO 9001:2008 sections: 5.3, 5.4.1, 5.5.1, 5.5.3, 6.2.2, 7.5, 8.2.3, 8.2.4, and 8.3 at a minimum. These relate to things operators should know.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello everyone: I am new to this forum and new to the Quality game. I am hoping that those of you with more experience can assist me. I work for a small company that is going for its first ISO certification, has passed through the first stage audit, and will be going through the second stage audit in a few weeks. I am working on preparing our employees, who have worked without written documentation for some twenty years, for the audit. My CEO would like them to know what they will be asked so they can be ready to answer those questions. What kind of questions should we expect?

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

An auditor might ask how a person's job performance contributes or relates to the quality policy, and about the quality policy itself. No one needs to memorize the QP, but everyone should be aware of it, what it means, and how to find it if necessary.

A few other common questions:

• How do you know the correct way to perform your job?
  • Are there any work instructions or other relevant documented procedures? How do you know if you're using the current version?
  • How do you deal with nonconforming material?
There might be lots of others. The important thing is to make sure everyone understands what's expected of them, that they answer questions honestly and not be afraid to say, "I don't know" if they don't know. They should also be prepared, if saying "I don't know," to be able to point the auditor in the direction of someone who does know.

You should have some idea from your Stage 1 audit about how things will go. It's not the Spanish Inquisition, so no one should be afraid of being burned at the stake if things go awry.

jerry_Malaysia

Quite Involved in Discussions

Is ISO 9001 you are talking about?
Generally audit will be performed in a process approach manner. Auditors will have thousands and thousands different questions to be asked. It is not possible to predict it, and there is no purpose predicting it.
Be confident and bear in mind that auditors are there to help you improve by identifying opportunity for improvement and highlight to you in case there is a gap.

T

Ted Schmitt

Besides what Jim said, your previous internal audits willl should give everyone an idea of what will be asked.... the butterflies in the stomach are common and good (means you´re not to cocky !)

I would suggest that it's not as important to know what might be asked, but what an auditee can do to overcome their apprehension of the audit. It's far easier to let people know a process by which they can 'survive' (it's not that bad, really)

They should introduce themselves to the auditor and what they're job title is.
They should describe what they have responsibility for. It's good to add how long they've been doing it too. At some point, it might be a good time to say, would you like to see what I do? If there's a work instruction, or similar that describes that activity, find it and show the auditor. Have them talk the auditor through their process.

Taking control of the audit interview in this way is critical in building confidence in the auditor. If you train people to have certain behaviors will alert the auditor to the fact they've been schooled and can make them suspicious.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

See this post + attachment: "How to Survive an Audit" Presentation.

Good luck!

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

There's another question I thought of that might be asked, and it's important to make sure it's given a satisfactory response: "What's for lunch?" :tg:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Some Questions an Auditor may Ask General Auditing Discussions 4
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Need Help With AEA Auditor Related Situational Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J NB Auditor Questions regarding the move of the company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Lead Auditor ISO 22000:2005 Example Exam Questions Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
X Typical Auditor Questions on ISO 9001 General Auditing Discussions 6
I Need questions and answers for the IRCA Lead Auditor exam General Auditing Discussions 13
L Questions to ask a New Registrar TS 16949 Auditor Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
J TS 16949 Auditor Re-Certification Exam - Simulation test paper or questions pool General Auditing Discussions 8
A Sample Questions for Certified Biomedical Auditor Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
H Book by David Hoyle & John Thompson titled "ISO 9001:2000 Auditor Questions" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
I AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - A Look at K Values - Auditor Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
lanley liao Questions regarding the change of critical suppliers and key personnel Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M NFPA 70 electrical harness questions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Project Managers - Questions For You Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Signature Matrix questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10