Quick - Tell me everything you know about TS 16949! LOL

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
:lol:
I'm looking for references, links, training material, opinions, comments, anything that could me understand TS better.

I just did a phone interview for a very small automotive parts company, solely certified to TS 16949. It's not far from home and sounds like a great opportunity. I have at least two weeks until my face to face interview, and at least 2 more weeks after that until I (hopefully) start. So it's time to do some learnin'!

I have some exposure to TS. But at that time I had no control over the PPAPs and such, and IMO they were done in a way that simply satisfied customer audits. I would have written and used them differently, but I didn't have the opportunity to try out any of my ideas.

I do have exposure to pharm/medical devices regulations.

Some first things that come to mind, are they required to do such documentation as IQ/OQ/PQ? Software Validations? Are extensive procedures required such as we use in the medical device field? With validations for any small changes?

How can a company utilize PPAPs in a way that really helps, and doesn't just hinder or weigh them down.

What kind of Root Cause analyses to automotive companies tend to like? 8D, 5why, fishbone.... I know some industries tend to like certain tools.

He mentioned customer ratings.... (DPM?? Scale maybe?) Refresh me on what this is. I know on time deliveries matter.

Thanks in advance!

(hehe, I'm a little excited!!)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Do you have a copy of TS 16949 as well as the "Core Tools" books like PPAP, APQP, etc.?

Pharm/medical devices is a much more "strict" (regulated) field, so TS 16949 should be relatively easy to grok.

Candi1024

I don't. I would expect that TS 16949 might be a bit pricey to get on my own before I start, but I'll look into some of those "core tools" books.

Thanks!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
...Some first things that come to mind, are they required to do such documentation as IQ/OQ/PQ? Software Validations? Are extensive procedures required such as we use in the medical device field? With validations for any small changes?

How can a company utilize PPAPs in a way that really helps, and doesn't just hinder or weigh them down.

What kind of Root Cause analyses to automotive companies tend to like? 8D, 5why, fishbone.... I know some industries tend to like certain tools.

He mentioned customer ratings.... (DPM?? Scale maybe?) Refresh me on what this is. I know on time deliveries matter.
IQ/OQ/PQ is essentially part of the APQP and PPAP process.

Software - It depends... There aren't any industry standards so it's looser than medical devices (example: collision avoidance systems).

Root Cause Analysis - 8-D is one "method" typically associated with automotive, but other tools fit into it, such as 5-Whys. Most companies ask for an 8-D (Ford's "Eight Disciplines") when a problem arises.

DPM = See http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1937 and http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=46725

as to customer ratings - The different car companies have their own "dashboard" where things like on time delivery, nonconformances, etc. are tracked. Many tier 1 companies also do, too.

Are you trying for a job at a tier 1?

Candi1024

I do believe it is a tier 1. I forgot to ask if they were unionized or not. Is there such a thing as a tier 1 that isn't unionized? lol

Thanks for the quick refresher, this is all coming back to me now. :) Time to do some reading. Once (if) I get the position I could start reading the standard, the books, seeing what they already have, maybe sign-up for some training.

I'm so excited about this job. I would be the sole Quality engineer at a small facility, with no big corporate staring down my back. This would be a first for me in this kind of position.

And, the drive is only 20 minutes, instead of 2.5 hours!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
O QRQC (quick response quality control) methodology in automotive industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ron Rompen Quick question on results of Student-t test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S What is an Efficient and Quick Salmonella Test Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
L Quick way to check spline pitch runout for machine operators Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
W TS16949 Quick Learning Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Suggestions for quick & effective solution for Continuous Improvement Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Plating - A quick, certifiable way to measure Plating Bath Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Cost Saving Excercises in Electronic Manufacturing - Quick and Efficient Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
H Quick Comparison Check of Multiple Thermocouples on one Datalogger General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Fender1 How to comply with ISO 9001 and provide quick/short lead-time orders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Quick Guide - Processes vs. ISO 9001 Clauses? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J QRQC (Quick Response Quality Control) Training Material or Information Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Quick ISO-TS 16949 Electronic Copy Cost Estimate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
1 Is anybody familar with Quick Response Manufacturing? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A Quick Transition ISO-9001 to TS-16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
bobdoering Quick Overview of SPC Scaling Factors from Wheeler Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
V Quick ISO 9001 Presentation for Internal Quality Auditors team needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to get an FDA approval before May 2010 - ?Quick and Dirty? FDA Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
J Salary / Rates for CMM Programmers in UK - Quick Question Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S I am asked to fit 2 lines - Basic Minitab Question - Quick Help needed Using Minitab Software 1
B Drunken Thread Inspection - Gauges for quick check for drunken threads General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Quick and Simple Management System Review Spreadsheet? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
A Changes to QRI (Quick Reference Instruction)? What I can or cannot change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Video Example of Quick Setup Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
K Factory Quick Assessment Model - Assessment a small factory (<50 employee) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 8
G Quick Reference for the 8 Quality Management Principles in ISO 9000 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J LPAs (Layered Process Audits) and TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.2 - Quick Question Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 20
N FORD Quick QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Document information wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
L Employee Morale Boosters - Low cost, quick, and easy ideas to boost morale Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 31
D Quick and dirty training for team - Structured problem solving Six Sigma 21
Q Quick Overview of the Standards for Medical Devices - ISO 13485:2003 and ISO 14696? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Digital Height Gauge Gage R&R - Need Advise and Help Quick Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Definition QRQC - Quick Response Quality Control - A problem solving tool Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 42
Wes Bucey Need a quick million? Got an unused website? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
P A Quick look at a failing business Career and Occupation Discussions 6
A Quick Test - Are You 98% or 2%? You just thought about.... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 123
A Quick Quiz Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
A Quick question about RPNs - Any RPN over 100 should be actioned? FMEA and Control Plans 9
B Request: Quick list of Required ISO9k2k RECORD Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
B The Idea Generator - Quick and Easy Kaizen Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Marc Microsoft sez: Upgrade! Quick! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
D Hey! Quick question, are any of these companies using 6 Sigma? Six Sigma 4
M MTTR - Quick and dirty way to calculate Mean Time To Repair - Solenoid valves Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Informational Some things the EU MDR 2017/745 does not tell you, but you may need to know to comply with it effectively – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
O Which is better - Quietly quit using a supplier or tell supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
R Can anyone tell me requirements standards for insufflator? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
V Tell me about AS9015 Requirement for the delegation of Product Verification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10