R&D Lab ISO 9001 certification

Hi !
We want to certify our R&D laboratory against ISO9001 next year. Then, the year after, we want to get it certified ISO17025.
I would like to have some ideas in terms of planning and project management if anyone has some experience or recommendation on these projects.
Thanks
Herve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hello !
I need a little bit of guidance. We are starting the process to get our R&D lab ISO9001 certified in a couple month. It's a lab that has some procedures as they started the certification process in the past (maybe 5 years ago) but never finished it.
Today part of the staff is new, the building is new. I am in favor of a greenfield approach.
How would you approach the team and convince them to drop all they have in terms of procedures, SOP and start from scratch?

Thank you!

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Good day @hmorvan ;
@yodon asks some valid questions.

I have a few also....

1- What is the motivation/purpose for the R&D lab to be ISO 9001 certified? (only if "we" understand the intent/goal can "we" determine if those goals are met are not.)

2- ISO 9001 does not get into "how" things are done. In fact, ISO 9001 is fairly non-prescriptive and simply provides a framework of requirements that help to ensure an organization is addressing/considering good practices as defined by the standard (and, of course, by your internal organization). What is it then about becoming certified to ISO 9001 that would cause a "clean slate"....discounting all current methods?

Hope this helps (by prompting some thought).

Be well.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
1- What is the motivation/purpose for the R&D lab to be ISO 9001 certified?
That is, indeed, the crucial aspect. What is the "product" of an R&D lab and who is the customer? These are the two most basic questions anyone must answer, prior to engaging in implementing ISO 9001 in any organization. Until one clearly understands what is the product and who is the customer of that product, the lab must not engage in any procedural development.

In my experience, most ISO 9001 certification efforts related to pure R&D labs were not sustainable due to the perceived stifling of work , which is the antithesis of research, and the fact that each R&D "project" was unique, not very pliable to fit cast-in-stone procedures. Until the organization clearly understands WHY they are doing it, they tend to go nowhere; fast. As in this case.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for your questions; See my responses
1-Are the procedures not working? Are the employees familiar with the existing procedures? The procedures are not updated and not used. Employees are mostly new now and did not familiarize with the old documents since they were not up to date.
2- What is the motivation/purpose for the R&D lab to be ISO 9001 certified? To provide a clear quality framework to the R&D operations and to harmonize with the rest of the operations/business.
3-What is the "product" of an R&D lab and who is the customer? The R&D lab produces new products according to market or customer specific demand. They also provide precise measurement. And this is why we want to go for the ISO 17025 later

Thanks
Herve

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
If the existing procedures aren't used and aren't aligned with the business processes, sure doesn't seem like there should be a reason to use them even as a jumping-off point.

In terms of getting started, I would get both standards to ensure whatever you start on will align with both. To me, document and record control is pretty much foundational stuff so I like to get that on the right path early.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
To provide a clear quality framework to the R&D operations and to harmonize with the rest of the operations/business.
That being the case, the lab should be part of the whole organization system, not a separate entity implementing ISO 9001 as a stand alone entity. Further, ISO 9001 does not address research; it does address product Development (the D in R&D)
The R&D lab produces new products according to market or customer specific demand.
Do you mean to say that the lab DEVELOPS new product models? Or they MANUFACTURE new products? The word produces in this context is ambiguous.

That being the case, the lab should be part of the whole organization system, not a separate entity implementing ISO 9001 as a stand alone entity. Further, ISO 9001 does not address research; it does address product Development (the D in R&D)
Do you mean to say that the lab DEVELOPS new product models? Or they MANUFACTURE new products? The word produces in this context is ambiguous.
Hi Sidney,
The lab is part of the organization. The idea is to have them ISO9001 compliant and be audited as such. The organization took the 8.3 exclusion and now we want to integrate it.

They DEVELOP new products.

Thanks

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The lab is part of the organization. The idea is to have them ISO9001 compliant and be audited as such. The organization took the 8.3 exclusion and now we want to integrate it.
If they are part of the organization, they should have not been able to claim non applicability of 8.3 before, but setting that aside for the time being, my advice is that the lab shall not seek ISO 9001 implementation and certification as a separate entity. I have seen that attempts a few times, and in my experience it always ended up in failures. The lab main core process is PRODUCT development, which is part of ISO 9001 8.3.

The route I would seek is for the whole organization to do what they should have done from the get go and expand their scope of the QMS and certification to include 8.3, what will force the lab to develop the processes and subprocesses necessary to deliver conformance with the applicable requirements of the standard.

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Must you use an ISO 17025 lab in order to receive ISO 9001:2000 Certification ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The procedure for replicate check in calibration lab as per ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Is it mandatory for a Calibration Lab to be ISO 17025 accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J ISO 17025 testing laboratory - Receiving lab supplies - What really needs a C of A? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Is there a recommended lab layout for a ISO TS requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R ISO 17025 for our CMM LAB HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS! ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Is Measurement Uncertainty required for a captive lab according to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D A Test Lab Using ISO 17025 - Question About Nonconforming Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 22
J Measurement Uncertainty (MU) - Genetic Testing Lab - Lack of suitable CRM - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B ISO 17025 MU Requirements - Construction Material Testing Lab Uncertainty Budgets ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
D ISO/TS16949 Internal Calibration Lab need to include Production Equipments IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
D ISO/IEC 17025 required for a calibration lab to be ISO certified? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Looking for my testing Lab to be accredited under iso 17025 - Definitions ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
R MSA Studies for chemical analytical instruments in QC Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Environmental Requirements E-Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Where do l get calibration standards to run a calibration lab? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Calibration lab environmental monitoring General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
P Testing lab in India IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Microbiological Testing Lab - Layout & Standards Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M Arguing with the test lab about failing in an EMC test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D 7.6.3.2 External Lab - HELP!! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R (OOT) Measurement Equipment after the calibration at a third Party lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Auditor has requested that the granite table in the lab be Calibrated Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 19
P Data Collection - R&D / Lab Notebooks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M How to perform Chelex DNA Method Verification in the lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Temperature Requirements for a Manufacturing Inspection Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S IEC 60601-1 Cl. 14 - Report changes in Software after Testing to Test Lab? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
G TS 16949 External Lab for Raw Material Certs for PPAPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
Ron Rompen Seeking Test Lab which can do 1440 Hour Accelerated Weathering Characteristics Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
V Qualification & Management Of Contract Quality Control Lab - Formats & Templates US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Does anyone use a FRACAS system to track lab equipment issues? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
F Biocompatibility study conducted in the GLP lab outside Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
SATHYABALARAMAN Calibration Laboratory vs. Standards Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1