Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

R.I.P. Ric Ocasek 1944-2019

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
Yeah, anothere onne gone. He was a strange lookin' dude but somehow got the girls anyway.

And Eddie Money last week.

Saw an article not too long ago about how most "rock stars" from our youth are statistically likely to die soon. Think about it -- Jagger/Stones members, Elton John, remaining Eagles members, and on and on. Depressing to think of.

I doubt we will see their likes again -- today's bands/stars don't seem to have the staying power or desire. look how many classic rock bands are still touring or just recently hung up their guitars after 30-40-50 years.

blackholequasar

Starting to get Involved
Ocasek was such a driving force in the 80's for me. I loved his music and I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing. I have to agree with @Mike S. - you don't hear those kinds of sounds anymore, you don't see the longevity of musicians as frequently as you did with rock and roll. (Also, if Elton John were to pass I would be inconsolable! He's my absolute favorite!)

Rest in peace Mr. Ocasek and thank you for the rad tunes over the years. :cool:

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
When I see what some of the rockers I used to listen to and see in concert from the 80's look like now it makes me realize how different I look now and how damn old I am getting. Saw James "JY" Young of Styx earlier this week on TV and thought damn he is looking old, when did that happen!

Its a funny thing, in my mind I usually think of them as they were in their prime, and I do the same for myself. Maybe its just me.....

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
When I see what some of the rockers I used to listen to and see in concert from the 80's look like now it makes me realize how different I look now and how damn old I am getting. Saw James "JY" Young of Styx earlier this week on TV and thought damn he is looking old, when did that happen!

Its a funny thing, in my mind I usually think of them as they were in their prime, and I do the same for myself. Maybe its just me.....
I can pretty much place the Cars to a point in my life where I was traveling out west a lot, mainly in California.

I have an extensive music collection from over the years - Music in my iTunes collection is ~284 GB, but that includes an extensive collection of old radio shows so it's not all music by any means.

As to
it makes me realize how different I look now and how damn old I am getting.
I'm also a movie collector and have videos going back to Edison's early films and some others from the 1890's (not to mention all the Disney classics and hundreds of cartoons from over the years). Last night I watched an old Burt Reynolds flick (Shamus (1973)) again, and I often peruse my film (movies and TV) collection and watch films various actors and actresses were in. I typically check Wikipedia, many times to see if they're still alive, but also to revive my memory of all they did. Often times in their Wikipedia Filmography I find films I don't have and try to get a few of them.

But back to the quote about aging - Yeah. Over the last few years I have been preparing for death, especially recently after the death of my brother Chris from leukemia, and trashing a lot of "junk" (so to speak). Stuff that at one time meant a lot to me, but knowing that it was special to me and the person who has to liquidate my estate would have to go through and would trash so that liquidation will be less of a chore. As I have gone through thousands of photos, digitizing many and trashing the originals, I have photos of me, many in family photos, from around the time I was born to today.

I think about a quote from, if I remember correctly, Margaret Mead, who said as people age they tend to always be about 15 in their minds, until they look in the mirror, and even then they tend to be surprised and find it hard to believe.

What really brings my age home to me is how many of my old friends have already died, especially in the last 10 years, with another one going about 2 weeks ago. I watched several older people go through this, my mother being one of them. She died at 99 a couple years ago. I had watched as one by one all of her old friends died, one by one, until she was the last. In her early 80's she still had weekly card parties with some of her friends, but one by one they died and eventually there wasn't anyone to come to play either because of illness or death.

That is just the cycle of life.

In my younger days... Belgium on a beach circa 1967 (back when I was young and cute.... ;) )

He was a strange lookin' dude but somehow got the girls anyway.
I learned long ago personality was important, "looks" not so much.

:2cents:

Top Bottom