R&M Measurable.

• Thread starter matthew evans - 2002
  • Start date
M

matthew evans - 2002

Hi everyone!

It's been some time since I last posted a question on the forum but I have a real brainteaser for everyone.

During our last surviellance visit from our accreditation body (LRQA) we had an observation raised concerning a measurable for Reliability and Maintainability.(R&M)

My problem is that we manufacture one off machines so we don't get constant R&M data for a repetative process. I have investigated producing a measurable for availability of machinery but our customer target of 97% almost impossible to reach in a reasonable time scale. We could probably reach it within 2-3 years.

I have also considered a measure of Mean Time Between Failure (MTTR) but we get so little feedback that it would be difficult to plot any sort of reliable graph.

How does everyone else deal with this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

I worked with a one-off T/E company. They had customers requiring T/E, and put on a Customer Service person to contact, collect and report on R&M data. They were highly customer focussed, and when they sent people on warranty calls, they made a point of talking to maintenance personnel about what they may have fixed without the warranty call. Customers were interested in recording downtime, so that number was easy to come by.

They also used internal run-offs to get estimates of MTBF.

I don't know if it would work for you, but they were successful in developing the relationship with their customer to obtain data. And they didn't collect it for ISO - it was a part of their overall strategy to develop strong relationships with the customer.

M

Michael - 2009

R&M Reliability

For GM I did a reliability study that used the BOM of the equipment we manufactured. With the help of service personnel and service records and people who have been in the field, we went over the BOM (mechanical and controls). We examined every item/detail and determined which were critical components. When in doubt we included the item/detail.

Then we did research on the critical components. We used our vendors for the purchased parts. They supplied almost all of the MTTF/life expectancy. If they could not supply the MTTR (usually not) we discussed it among our service/management team or did a quick field measurement. With this information we were able to plug the numbers into the formula for availability/uptime (what GM wanted). The formulas are in the reference pages of the R&M Guidelines (SAE) book.

In addition to that we did a Capability study (CpK) and the required sound/vibration/lubrication/etc. studies. GM was happy with it. If you are building similar one offs, you could easily create a data base with an increasingly larger MTTF/MTTR spreadsheet. It gets easier after a while because the number of components for which you have to research should decrease.

Q

Quint

Thanks for the thread. I am just starting down the R&M road with Ford for Q1..and the MMMF and MTTR data they require seems daunting.....any experience with the FRED software that they require?

R

Rooch

Training yes! -- experience using the software no!
The ability of the software is quite extensive, and overall system availability is pretty easy to establish, but the 2nd and 3rd level data is harder to realize.
I am still new to this also, and I believe the accumulating of failure data to use in these programs, in order to generate a FRED report will be difficult.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Can we remove a quality objective if we decide it is not measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Process Measurable Objectives Imported Legacy Blogs 3
D Measurable objectives for our in-house calibration department General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Management Review Non-Conformance - Meeting Measurable Goals and Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
P Do Quality Objectives have to be Measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 57
Q Time Based, Measurable Mid-Year Performance Goals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C What is the smallest measurable tolerance? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
N Measurable Targets and Objectives - Envelope Printing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Setting a measurable target for a new service Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Y Identifying measurable processes: How not to lose the forest behind the trees? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Departmental Measurable Objective Needs for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L Objectives: Measurable or having a tangible value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Definition Measurable Goal vs. Relevant Goal vs. Realistic Goal - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
somashekar Departmental Measurable Objectives Across All Company Functions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L Measurable Departmental objectives for the Management Representative (MR) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
sridharafep Samples of Measurable Business Objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
A Measurable Quality Objectives of the Corporate Communication Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc A mathematical measurable for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
W Quantifiable and Measurable Quality Goals? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Process Diagrams and Measurables - Do you HAVE to have a measurable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G ISO 9001:2000 Registration, but no process approach and no measurable objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Top Management Quality Objectives - Setting objectives and Measurable goals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Company and Departmental Measurable Goals - How many, by whom... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Measurable - Ideal process measurable for a quality control department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Measurable Quality Objectives which can relate to Quality Policy - 5.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
E Determining and Defining Measurable Objectives in ISO 9001:2000 Clause 5 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 80
S QOS for Tooling and Equipment - Having difficulty selecting a measurable QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2