RAB 17024 & New Coke! RABQSA Suspends 17024 Transition Deadline

Q

QualityBob

Ok, Who can tell me what the highly touted RAB/QSA Competency based certification has in common with New Coke?
Read Below:

Bob
RABQSA Suspends 17024 Transition Deadline
Today, RABQSA announced the suspension of the Certification Transition Plan requiring auditors to transition to the competency-based certification schemes for QMS, EMS, Food Safety and OH&S.
http://www.rabqsa.com/news.shtml

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Marc said:
I wonder where from here... What's the new plan....?
No new plan, I guess. They will keep certifying people using the "traditional" qualification scheme. Looks like the COSTS associated with the competence-based scheme were prohibitive for most people. My question is: is the cat out of the bag? Now that many people realize that you do not need a RABQSA/IRCA certificate to work for many registrars will the auditors renew their certs? It is $300/year in your pocket instead of RABQSA's pocket. What does the cert give you in return?

Randy

Super Moderator
There you go Sidney:agree1:

I also have a suspicion that the "competency wizards" were going to have a tough time being allowed to follow an auditor around on an assessment by either some registrars or by some clients. Most likely the clients. This is a guess of course.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
One other point not yet brought up.....

Can RAB successfully an accreditation assessment? And which group will perform the assessment? The only ones in the U.S. doing ISO/IEC 17024 assessments is ANSI.

Hershal

B

BSMITH

Response

Sidney Vianna said:
No new plan, I guess. They will keep certifying people using the "traditional" qualification scheme. Looks like the COSTS associated with the competence-based scheme were prohibitive for most people. My question is: is the cat out of the bag? Now that many people realize that you do not need a RABQSA/IRCA certificate to work for many registrars will the auditors renew their certs? It is $300/year in your pocket instead of RABQSA's pocket. What does the cert give you in return?
Although many registrars don't require RABQSA/IRCA certification (in fact their in-house qualification systems for lead auditors may be much tougher), others do require certification to initially be hired and may solicit those who are listed on RABQSA's website (at least that is my own experience). Because I am a RABQSA lead auditor, I have been solicited over the years by multiple registrars, including at least one outside of the U.S, and multiple consulting firms. The certification has also been helpful in initially acquiring work as a trainer and part-time college faculty member.

The competence-based scheme is more expensive, but made auditor certification attainable for internal auditors and others who couldn't easily qualify because of audit days, particularly audit days as a lead auditor being witnessed by a RABQSA certified lead auditor. For those of us already certified, of course, cheaper is better (until we have to transition to the new system).

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm sure it's a combination realted to everything we've mentioned. A lingering question is why isn't IRCA getting all wrapped around the axel with this "competence" gibberish? (Or at least it doesn't seem to be)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Randy said:
A lingering question is why isn't IRCA getting all wrapped around the axel with this "competence" gibberish? (Or at least it doesn't seem to be)
According to IRCA, they have experienced a significant increase in number of applications for people that were not happy with RABQSA's position and transferred their auditor certification to IRCA.

At the IRCA website, they state:
What is IRCA's position?

Our approach is, as ever, to contribute value by providing what users want. And as at this time, it is not clear what they want. The situation so far is that we have a new accreditation standard (ISO 17024) that requires auditor certification bodies to apply a much more rigorous approach. But already it is clear there is little consistency between the different accreditation bodies in how they interpret and implement this standard. This is bound to lead to variation in the levels at which auditors are certified which, because the differing standards will all be 'accredited', will confuse the users.

The majority of certification bodies/registrars we have talked to do not intend to do anything until it is clear that the competency-based certification contributes clear benefits to them. Currently, we are talking to a range of stakeholders (including accreditation bodies) and drafting criteria options based on what we understand customers want, and in accordance with how the accreditation body interprets 17024. In other words, what our customers want and what the accreditation body allows us to offer!

We are also contributing our expertise to the two new IAF working groups tasked with looking at auditing within a third-party environment, and how ISO 17024 can be interpreted and applied internationally. We believe a structural approach to this new initiative is best. Once we have achieved agreement across a broad range of stakeholders (accreditation bodies, certification bodies/registrars, auditors and users of auditors) as to what an ISO 17024 competency-based system means, i.e. how the standard should be interpreted and implemented, then we will be in a much better position to develop and offer meaningful criteria. By meaningful we mean a certification that will be accepted, valued and recognized.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SteelMaiden Is there a List of RAB (Registrar Accreditation Board) Auditors? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 45
S RAB Approved Lead Auditor Training on AS 9001 in Asia? E.G Dubai, Turkey, China? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q RAB Accredited TS 16949 Lead Auditor Course in the LA area - Seeking information IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Z ASQ or RAB Auditor Certification - Which is Better? ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
Sidney Vianna ANAB Accreditation - ANSI-RAB NAP ceases to exist 1/1/05 (ISO/IEC 17011 and the IAF) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 10
M Gaining experience for RAB QALA Certification General Auditing Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna RAB looking for a few good comments ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
C RAB Auditor Certification Response Time ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 26
Randy Discussion: The RAB (Registrar Accreditation Board) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 34
Sidney Vianna ANSI-RAB NAP (Registrar Accreditation Board) Registrar Suspensions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 117
M BSI-CEEM RAB approved ISO 9001:2000 Lead Auditor Course General Auditing Discussions 6
J EPA Position Paper on EMS from the RAB ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
W RAB and TS-16949 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
B RAB/IRCA accredited course for ISO-17025 Quality System Lead Assessor ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
M ISO 9000 QMS Lead Auditor Certification Question - RAB, IRCA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 14
CarolX Quality from the RAB ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Auditor Certification III - Auditor Certification - IRCA/RAB lead auditor cours General Auditing Discussions 7
Marc Auditor Certification II - Auditor Certification - IRCA/RAB 5 day lead auditor course General Auditing Discussions 36
A Web-based, RAB APPROVED, transition training program for ISO 9001:2000 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
W Auditor Certification - IRCA/RAB 5 day lead auditor course and exam - Bad Experience General Auditing Discussions 36
Randy The RAB has approved my advancement to EMS-Lead Auditor Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
Randy Continuing Professional Development - CPD for ISO 9000/14000 RAB Auditors? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 24
Marc Significance of the RAB - Including Registrar Customer Feedback and Data ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
Marc Multiple Accreditations - RAB - USA, JASANZ - Australia/NZ, UKAS - UK, RvA - Holland ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
T Experiences good or bad with the RAB certification process ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
B CQA plus RAB training = QSLA status? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Marc RAB vs. IRCA Certifications - Advantages and disadvantages of Lead Auditor status ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Marc Certifying Internal Auditors - Unneccessary, Unwanted RAB Intervention ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
C ISO 17024 - Personal Certifications Programs Checklist Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 27
Marc ISO 17024 - New accreditation standard - What is it? Is it rational? Do we need this? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
Sidney Vianna RABQSA International - ISO/IEC 17024:2003 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 10
A Coke Reactivity Index (CRI) Testing Code Interpretation: ASTM D5341-99 (2004) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Condom found in Coke bottle Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
S Anyone know Coca Cola's (Coke) QA system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2