RABQSA ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditor or ASQ CQA - Which certification?

H

huntdux

RABQSA ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditor or ASQ Certified Quality Auditor, which certification is better to pursue and why? I've earned the CQA, is there a reason to add RABQSA?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Which certification?

I wouldn't say one is "better" than another. They have different focus. RABQSA is difficult to obtain (other than attending the training course, which is only the training credential part of the total qualification) and ASQ CQA is more technically oriented compared to the RABQSA/IRCA syllabus etc.

Really, the RABQSA (now "Exemplar", BTW) is only much good if you need a qualification to do supply chain audits - that's the purpose of the class. The whole credential is difficult to get since you have to have a number of audit hours, specifically those as a team leader.

ASQ is somewhat different and doesn't rely on practical experience of audits, with other people on the audit team.

Last edited:

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Which certification?

Looking to take the next step in the auditor progression by obtaining an official credential.

I have taken the "Lead Auditor" training and participate in, and direct, internal audits as I am the lead auditor for our 9001 & 14001 audit teams. What is the next logical step? I have looked at the Exemplar Global and ASQ-CQA information.

Exemplar Global wants audits from outside your company, unfortunately, I have only done audits within my company.

Any suggestions on what credential (even beyond the above) to start with? How about getting the audit experience outside my own company?

Thanks,

AndyN

Moved On
I'd suggest you first ask yourself what you are going to do with this "qualification". To be an Exemplar or IRCA auditor really means either being a CB or SQA type auditor. To keep up the qualification, you have to be able to show external audits and also being a lead. When I was doing this, it was difficult to actually get those audit hours.

The qualification is overblown for internal use. The ASQ route is, as far as I can tell both more applicable, easier to maintain and, overall, less expensive.

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'd suggest you first ask yourself what you are going to do with this "qualification". To be an Exemplar or IRCA auditor really means either being a CB or SQA type auditor. To keep up the qualification, you have to be able to show external audits and also being a lead. When I was doing this, it was difficult to actually get those audit hours.

The qualification is overblown for internal use. The ASQ route is, as far as I can tell both more applicable, easier to maintain and, overall, less expensive.

Thanks, Andy.

What I am planning to do... :cfingers: looking at potential career moves (up, out, etc.), either way, it's continuing education and progression. Depending on what I get will determine possible directions.

After my research, I agree that either qualification is overkill for IA's and expensive. As for obtaining the audits and hours required, without outside assistance, there are not a lot of audit opportunities in rural North-Central Kansas. :nope: These are why I'm asking for insight here on the COVE.

Top Bottom