Definition Radius and Full Radius - Need a definition for each and difference(s)

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
I recall reading definitions for radius and full radius. I simply can't remember what differenciated the two. I've Google searched this and checked in the ANSI Y14.5 (no luck).

Can anyone post the two definition or at least point me to a source where I can find them?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

Maybe other publications will give you a clearer look at what you are seeking - but I would first check in any version of the "Machinist Handbook" - (Dont have mine handy right now - but I'm sure there would be informtion there clearing it up for you.

Hope this helps

Quizzed my engineer son on this; his reply follows:

A full radius (sometimes called a true radius) usually refers to a hole in the face of an object that is at an angle, and you need to ensure that the radius called out is true to the surface.

I can't verify the accuracy, but how it helps!

Sue

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

From "Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing" by James D. Meadows:
  • The local note "True R" precedes the numerical value of a radius when it is shown in a view that does not show the radius' true shape.
  • The tolerance zone created by the symbol "R", its value, and tolerance is defined by two arcs that represent the minimum and maximum value of the radius. The surface of the radius simply must reside between the two arcs to be acceptable.

Hope that helps

Bill

C

Clockgauge

Radius definitions I work to:

A radius is an arc bounded by it's max and min limits and located either by tangency points with adjacent surfaces, or by a specified origin point on the drawing. It can't have flats or reversals, and usually has finish requirements.

A full radius has adjacent tangency points that make it 90 degrees of arc.

A true radius, as already stated, is called out when a drawing view has a foreshortened radius depicted.

Hope this is useful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Finding a Radius - How to measure diameters that are not a full diameter Registered Visitor Articles Archive 19
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Roberticus Negative corner radius (per ISO 1101)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Radius Gauge R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
L Radius Measuring Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Proud Liberal Measuring axial and radial surface finish (16 Rz) on a broached internal radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T Linear Measurement - Radius Center or Intersection Point? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J Measuring an Untrue Radius - Metal Stamped and Formed Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B AAMI Standard - 6 Foot Radius Patient Vicinity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Corner Radius & Fillet Radius Differences Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V How to measure radius without radius gages APQP and PPAP 4
D Large, untoleranced radius of 20? - Inspection and Tolerancing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
F Angularity of 2 Surfaces to a Datum which is a Radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Profile of a Line of a radius of 25mm basic dimension - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Radius Measurement question - Print that calls out a 5.5-5.7mm Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D True Position with 1 hole (Datum B) at the Radius Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Profile of a Surface Tolerance - Part with a 195 mm radius on it Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Measuring the Small Radius on the Edge of a Strip of Metal Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S How to apply a Tolerance to a Bend Radius Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
D Measuring a round edge - Looking for a 20 degree radius gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Accurate Method of Internal Radius Check Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
G Where to find Ggg-g-17 - Spec is related to GAGE, FILLET AND RADIUS Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
J Clarification of ISO 2768-1 - Inside bend radius tolerance - Metal stamped part Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
T Measurement of Large Radius (30.0") on Product - No CMM available Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
K The Best Way to Calibrate Radius Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 34
H Definition of feature "R" as regards a radius on a print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
B Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
D Calibration of Optical Comparator Overlays - Radius, Thread and Angle General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
D What does RTYP on a Print Stand For? Radius Typical? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
K Calibration procedure for radius gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
Q Full or Partial FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
F Grand Avenue Software, Q-Pulse or Qualio - which for a full eQMS? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A ISO 9001 lead auditor as Full time career India Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna ANSI acquires full ownership of ANAB - December 2018 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Is writing out the ISO9001:2015 standard full name a requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M Bringing blending in-house - Verification or full validation? (Disinfectants) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
C Full QMS Audit and Internal Audit Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
F MDSAP vs "Full" FDA Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Malaysia - Full Labelling Local Language Translation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11