Random data generation in Minitab

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
While providing some training for 'new' users in Minitab, an interesting question came up that I can't find an answer to.

When random data is created in Minitab (under the Calc dropdown menu) you can create the target value and standard deviation easily. But is there a way to limit the LOWER or UPPER limit of the data? For example, if I was creating a random set of normal data for flatness, and set a mean of 0.050 and a standard deviation of .021 (this represents actual data that we have accumulated over a short term study - I am trying to illustrate how Minitab can be used to 'predict the future' using data analysis) then at least SOME of the data that I generate will be less than 0.

I can correct this by brute force methods (visually examine each line of data for a negative value) or copy into Excel, sort, then remove anything less than zero, repaste into Minitab...etc etc etc.

Is there an easier/better way to do this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The easiest way within Minitab is to use Data > Subset Worksheet:
- How do you want to create a subset?: Use rows that match a condition
- Do you want to include or exclude rows?: Exclude rows that match the condition
- Condition: Is less than
- Value: 0; check/uncheck Include value depending on whether you want to include zero.

Attachments

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Miner. I have never used the Data Subset function before, but on first view, it looks like exactly what I need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Individuals Chart for Non-Sequential Data - Random Sample without Reference to Time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
C Random defects vs systematic (designed in) errors or faults. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Stratified Random Sampling Calculations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Random Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
G Sampling Question - Random Sample of 100 pcs and 11 pcs. have been rejected Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 30
L Do all non-random patterns apply to attributes and variable charts including R chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Random Sampling of Chickens Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
P Random Sampling at Receiving Inspection: A Practical Implementation needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
S Probability Density Function of a Function of a Random Variable Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
I Multiple Comparisons for a Random Factor Using Minitab Software 2
D How to perform Random Sampling Statement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Random Sampling for in-process inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
P Random Sampling vs. Thorough Review - Records to be Reviewed - Audit Finding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
S Random Sampling question - taking samples from the same spot! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Part Number Assignment, Should be coded or Random? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Marc Solving "Random" Puzzles Key To Scoring A-List Tech Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 8
Ajit Basrur Random Insult Generator (RIG) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Random 'Normal Distribution' Numbers in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 26
M Creating a "random disturbance" for each observation via MINITAB Using Minitab Software 1
S Using AQL to get true random sampling using General Inspection Level II AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
C Random Uncertainties - Can anyone explain "Random Uncertainties"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Marc Unannounced Random Audits General Auditing Discussions 1
I Brazil clinical data/trial requirement Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
W Part 145 Maintenance Data Review EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
E Electronic Data Management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D ISO 14001 Finding - Missing Safety Data Sheets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
P Comparing Two Test Variables Using Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
K Before-After Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Gage type and data base maintainence Using GAGEpack Software 2
D Sharing Suppliers Performance Data with Supplier. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Conducting a clinical investigation with clinical data from India EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Data types vs Mathematical operations Six Sigma 4
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
optomist1 Data Bias - Surveys Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Levels of actions and consequence to data integrity US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M ADME data- substances based MD EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Can a software that receive data from a MD be classified as Class I?or is not a MD? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Process Potential estimation for binary data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
RoxaneB Data Storytelling Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
MaHoDie Summative Evaluation with Post-Market Data? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
J EU Data Act Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
P Transferring medical data from a device (Sec 201(h)): regulatory implications US Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Change color or shape of individual data point in control chart Using Minitab Software 6
R FDA ECG Data Requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
T SQL Server 2019 - Master Data Services - Validation needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Elaborating a control chart with skewed data Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Data normality versus capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
I In-Process Inspection Raw Data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7