Range - Concepts such as mean, median, mode and range

D

Don Winton

Found this interesting:

-------Snip-------
I am taking my first ever statistics course. However as an elementary teacher, I did teach such concepts as mean, median, mode and range. In this course we learned that range is the highest score/data minus the lowest then add 1 to the difference. I had taught that the way to figure out the range was to simply subtract the lowest score/data from the highest. This is also the way it is done in the statistics program I have. My husband (a statistician) agrees with my method. Which method is correct? If the first method is correct, please explain the reason one adds 1 to the difference. Thanks!

In response to Range: {Not Mine, Don}

Dona, you and your husband is right. The method you used of subtracting the smallest data value from the largest is the correct way of calculating the sample range. The only possible alternative I could think of would be if you wanted to construct an unbiased estimate of the population range.

For example, suppose you have a uniform distribution between A and B, with both limits being unknown. You then calculate from the data, the sample range, r = largest minus smallest. This r necessarily is less than the population range, R=B-A. To obtain an unbiased estimate of R, you need to multiply r by (N+1)/(N-1), where N is the sample size. Note that this is a multiplicative factor, not an additive factor. In short, I can't think of any reason to add one to the sample range.

-------End Snip-------

In this course we learned that range is the highest score/data minus the lowest then add 1 to the difference. I had taught that the way to figure out the range was to simply subtract the lowest score/data from the highest.
Thoughts,

Regards,
Don

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

John C

Don,
My statistical training was always sketchy and is now very rusty, so I offer this only as a possible clue to the problem. I can’t vouch for it’s validity;
For variables, the range is highest minus lowest. That’s the way I was taught. eg measurement in inches; Highest 10, lowest 5. 10 - 5 = 5.
For attributes, it’s the number of consecutive attributes in the sample (or potential attributes, if all possible have not been observed) that gives the range, eg; marks on a screen; Highest sample had 10, lowest had 5. The range can be considered to include; 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. So that’s 6 levels of attributes. 10-5 = 5. 5+1 = 6.
rgds, John C

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Don,

As part of figuring Sigma, finding the estimation and unbiased estimation is merely the result of data from a population or from a sample. As always, the sample always has potential error beyond the population estimate and n-1 is normally used.

Not sure why to add/subtract a 1 for the Range though. JC's explanation seems reasonable, but I can not confirm.

D

Don Winton

For variables, the range is highest minus lowest. That’s the way I was taught. eg measurement in inches; Highest 10, lowest 5. 10 - 5 = 5. For attributes, it’s the number of consecutive attributes in the sample (or potential attributes, if all possible have not been observed) that gives the range, eg; marks on a screen; Highest sample had 10, lowest had 5. The range can be considered to include; 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. So that’s 6 levels of attributes. 10-5 = 5. 5+1 = 6.
Agreed. I believe the response cited was probably considering this example. Or rather, see below.

As part of figuring Sigma, finding the estimation and unbiased estimation is merely the result of data from a population or from a sample. As always, the sample always has potential error beyond the population estimate and n-1 is normally used.
It is also possible that the respondent was thinking sigma rather than range. I posted this in order to see what the responses would be. Many thanks, guys.

Regards,
Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M Electropolishing Validation of Orthopedic Parts - What OQ parameter range Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Adding an adapter to a Torque Meter to change the Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V Correlating Maximum 'Range' of Values for a given "RSD" (Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Ajit Basrur Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Supplier Evaluations of a wide range of suppliers and different products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Excel Help - Equivalent of "Range($G$14:$AD$121).Select" in R1C1 notation Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
S Calibration Documents that offer guidance on Calibration Range vs Use Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
W Is the GR&R result caused by the wide spec range? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S What is the accepted range for "Inventory Reconciliation" for RM and FG ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
R Long Range OC Curves - Acceptance Sampling Switching Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Performing a Gage R and R with No Specification Range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Main difference between X-bar sigma chart / X-bar range chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Count NDC from Graphik Sample Range vs R chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
M SPC, Moving Range Chart and Weighted Graph Basic Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Remote Control Inspection Digital Indicator with a TIR (range) function Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Method Comparison Design Onput Sample Range Requirement Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Validity of Calibration outside the Calibration Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
Q What is the salary range per hour for a Quality Management System Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
C Roundness Tester Gage R and R Frustration - Tolerance range of 20 microns Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M MSA 4 - Results of GR&R Study using Range & Average Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
K Almost embarrassed to ask... SPC UCL/Data Range Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T How Can I Change the Date Range on Charts in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
B AMS 2750 Furnace Instrument Calibration Operating Range AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Why a Lower Control Limit on Range and Sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Using Range/Tolerance to Guesstimate NDC or % SV? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
V Determining the Range and Limits for Differential Pressure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M When a moving range is 0, is it acceptable to have a PP/PPK of 0 also? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R GR&R (Gage R&R) - Average Range Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Individuals 2 Point Moving Range Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Micrometer Calibration - Resolution, Accuracy and Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
J Acceptable Tolerance Range for Freezer - Writing an IQ/OQ for a Freezer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
L Good Excel .xls sheet for Gage R&R that calculates both Anova and Range Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
E What is the temperature range for drug manufacturing? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How do I draw Graph a Mean & Range Chart & FIND CL UCL UCL for this data on Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Operating Range & Calibration for Analytical Balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Inspection Humidity Control - Range for Mechanical Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Influence of the Coverage Factor - Worksheets based on the Average and Range Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H Usable Torque Range - Using a torque driver at more than 80% of its range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Spread for Gage R&R - Product specific or whole test range of instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Moving Range Upper and Lower Control Limits when alpha=0.002 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Calibration Problem - Range of Use, Calibration Acceptance Tolerance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
K Calculating Control Limits in Average and Range Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3