Ranking Continual Improvement Projects

beaser3

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

My company has recently started putting increased emphasis on continual improvement projects. All employees are encouraged to bring forward suggestions for what they feel could be improved. We have a lot of good suggestions and they are continuing to come in every week! Some are process related and some are product related. With the time and resources we have available it's not realistic to start all of the projects so some have had to wait. I am wondering if anyone has a "tool" to use to help evaluate which projects should get addressed first. I was thinking of trying to create something similar to an RPN calculation that breaks down severity, occurrence and detection in a way that makes sense to CI but thought I would see if anyone else already has another suggestion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Lynn

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
In my experience, the most important factor in continual improvement is a Champion.

Do your first cull by area managers based on what has the biggest ROI (not necessarily tangible return).
Then use the short list to shop for Champions.

If you have the typical number of Champions...you'll be at 2-3 projects pretty fast.

Projects that are great ideas, with no one to lead the charge...they won't get done no matter what you try until someone leads the charge. Find your Champions first, then list out what they want to Champion.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Congratulations to you and the bosses for implementing a continual improvement initiative! You are absolutely correct in wanting a process to prioritize the actions taken on the suggestions.

A little background might be helpful: Early in my career (mid 20th century), a big buzz word was "Kaizen" coined and made famous by Masaaki Imai. My good friend, Akio Miura, of Tokyo (who held EVERY ASQ quality certification) often spoke disparagingly of the process as it was actually implemented at Toyota and other industrial giants in Japan. The problem they created, according to Akio, was everyone in the organization clamoring to be recognized for their suggestions, however small or large, regardless if they actually were more efficient in the process as a whole. Akio spent a large part of his career as a quality consultant in helping these companies and ALL their employees understand and implement Deming's theory of SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge.) Armed with the knowledge of how the processes worked together with internal and external suppliers and customers included in the mix, the employees coming up with suggestions were better able to frame the suggestion in context of how it would provide a net benefit to the organization. This allowed the powers that be holding the purse strings a better handle on where improvement expenditures would provide the biggest bang for the buck. Alas, my contemporary, Akio, died about two years ago, but I hope I have maintained his memory by passing on this tidbit: ENLIST THE HELP OF THE SUGGESTERS BY ARMING THEM WITH THE KNOWLEDGE TO SEE HOW ANY CHANGE IN THE PROCESS AFFECTS THE VARIOUS PARTS OF THE PROCESSS.
Hi,

My company has recently started putting increased emphasis on continual improvement projects. All employees are encouraged to bring forward suggestions for what they feel could be improved. We have a lot of good suggestions and they are continuing to come in every week! Some are process related and some are product related. With the time and resources we have available it's not realistic to start all of the projects so some have had to wait. I am wondering if anyone has a "tool" to use to help evaluate which projects should get addressed first. I was thinking of trying to create something similar to an RPN calculation that breaks down severity, occurrence and detection in a way that makes sense to CI but thought I would see if anyone else already has another suggestion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Lynn

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I'd encourage you to utilize a project Selection matrix to allow you to evaluate multiple projects/opportunities against (weighted) criteria identified for your organization. I like to have one set of totals for the benefits and another for the risk/effort. That way you can plot all the projects on a benefits-and-effort (b&e) plot to help you visualize what projects to focus on.

I couldn't quickly find a good project selection matrix online but here's a sample b&e plot:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...xUXjLcNsiH9qgOA_w&sig2=WbLQDsrgBn6Z1ioCmjHOpg

David

Mikael

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'd encourage you to utilize a project Selection matrix to allow you to evaluate multiple projects/opportunities against (weighted) criteria identified for your organization. ...
David
Or could be like the Importance-Performance matrix (Slack).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Process FMEA Ranking Table for for Landing Door of an Elevator FMEA and Control Plans 7
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Ranking Changes for Non-"Mobile-Friendly" Sites Forum News and General Information 10
M Changing FMEA template to include Detection Ranking for the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
C Occurrence Ranking: What is the basis for 1 in 1,000,000? APQP and PPAP 4
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
K FMECA (Critical Analysis) Format and Ranking Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C Poka Yoke and FMEA Detection Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 3
ncwalker Ranking Criteria Systematically - Pairwise Comparison.xlsm Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Z PFMEA Detection Controls and Ranking - Prevent Shipment FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Probability of Occurrence Ranking for Low Volume Manufacturing vs High Volume FMEA and Control Plans 11
B FMEA Ranking Rating Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 10
S Registrar Ranking - Looking for feedback on SAI Global Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
H DFMEA Severity Ranking of Non-Compliance to EMC Standards FMEA and Control Plans 2
G FMEA Occurrence Ranking - Based upon what? FMEA and Control Plans 6
R FMEA Detection Ranking for Testing Machines FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Company Percentile Ranking - Customer Concern and Warranty Costs Benchmarking 4
M DFMEA Detection Ranking in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Ed. - Explanation wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
O What is the best approach for Audit Result Ranking? General Auditing Discussions 4
V Detection ranking in FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
Y Severity, Occurrence and Detection FMEA Ranking Tables - Guidelines? FMEA and Control Plans 8
ScottK And the real ranking of Olympic winners* is: Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
tqsrocky TS 16949 Registrar's Ranking & Market Share IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M Critical or Significant Characteristics or Key Indicators Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 7
J Ranking Severity of Non-Conforming Material Defects Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B FMEA Occurrence Ranking in Microelectronics FMEA and Control Plans 24
J Ranking Forbes Automobile industries. The World's Biggest Public Companies World News 14
A Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars? Registrars and Notified Bodies 31
H ISO/TS16949 Certification Body Ranking - Which one do you prefer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Process FMEA - Help in deciding "detection ranking" of a failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 5
S RPN Ranking - Put a formula in an access database or Excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
S VDA vs. AIAG - FMEA Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 4
K Severity Occurrence Detection Ranking Scale - 1 to 10 vs. 1 to 5 FMEA and Control Plans 20
D Ranking Audit Effectiveness with RPN General Auditing Discussions 3
Y FMEA Ranking and Prioritization - Failure Modes with higher severity first? FMEA and Control Plans 21
A FMEA Manual - Page 53, Table 8 says Detection Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 3
M PFMEA Severity Ranking - 9 is with warning and a 10 is without warning FMEA and Control Plans 5
J FMEA - Method of Determining the Occurrence Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 4
B FMEA - Reduced Detection Ranking by Use of Preventative Maintenance FMEA and Control Plans 6
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 15
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4