Rapid audit template for plastic parts manufacturing process

Hello everybody,
I'm very honored to have this opportunity to talk with you here.
I'm going to pay a visit to a plastic parts manufacturer, and I plan to conduct a rapid audit during the visit, for quick start sake, would anybody share or guide me to get some template for a rapid audit to such a supplier (such as which part or process need to pay more attention etc.)

Thanks very much!

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
And what is it you hope to accomplish during this audit? Is the supplier already approved and you wanna audit a new product? Or is it a new supplier?

AgnieszkaSz

Involved In Discussions
It really depends whether you source standard parts (available from catalogue) or they make parts from your tool on your demand. If you mean injection moulding process, I would start with questions - on which injection moulding machines are the parts in question produced? You would like to know whether the machinery and tools are adequately maintained, so check for maintenance plan and records, machine / tool logbooks if they exist. Then the raw material - if these are standard parts, how much regrind is allowed and if it is allowed at all, ask for documented directions how much regrind can be used. The process itself - who releases the first good piece from production order and how it is recorded? Visual control - do they compare the controlled parts with any reference parts and if so, are these reference parts approved? If part colour is a controlled feature, how do they check that (it can be tricky if they dose and mix the pigment on IMM or, even more tricky, in raw material feeding system). Ask for records of non-compliant parts - it is normal in injection moulding that you get deformed parts in the start-up phase, and then the process can go awry too. If they claim their process produces only good parts - ekhm, that would make me suspicious. This can mean that there is no control during the process. Ask for batch release process. Then check how they make sure each packaging item contains good amount of pieces (can be tricky for small details). Assess whether their packaging procedure protects the item from damage durin transportation, in house and external. You might be interested in their plastic waste management too.
Sorry, I don't have any template. But these are questions you may ask.

Tagin

Since you say "a rapid audit", I would focus your audit on your top priorities.

Think about: Why do you care? Why bother to audit them?

Something like:
  1. Any regulatory/statutory requirements or concerns (e..g., are they subject to FDA? have they had an FDA audit recently?)
  2. Any certification requirements (e..g., ISO 13485)
  3. Any product safety concerns or product safety related processes
  4. Validated (vs. verified) processes
  5. Your documented supplier approval/supplier agreement criteria
  6. Specific focus on areas related to recent quality trends, SCARs, etc.
  7. Any other audit requirements placed on you by your QMS or external supplier audit requirements

Welcome,

What is your definition of a "rapid audit"?
Thanks Johnny, "rapid audit" in our organization means an audit within 2 hours including company information understanding and plant tour, and there is no non-conformity items is needed (just a report is enough)

And what is it you hope to accomplish during this audit? Is the supplier already approved and you wanna audit a new product? Or is it a new supplier?
Thanks Mike, actually I hope to accomplish a brief audit report including analysis from different aspects. And the supplier is a new supplier.

Here is what I use when I do a supplier visit. I don't always get to fill all of it out, but as much as I can. Just an idea.
Thanks very much for your sharing, hog, it really helps a lot!

It really depends whether you source standard parts (available from catalogue) or they make parts from your tool on your demand. If you mean injection moulding process, I would start with questions - on which injection moulding machines are the parts in question produced? You would like to know whether the machinery and tools are adequately maintained, so check for maintenance plan and records, machine / tool logbooks if they exist. Then the raw material - if these are standard parts, how much regrind is allowed and if it is allowed at all, ask for documented directions how much regrind can be used. The process itself - who releases the first good piece from production order and how it is recorded? Visual control - do they compare the controlled parts with any reference parts and if so, are these reference parts approved? If part colour is a controlled feature, how do they check that (it can be tricky if they dose and mix the pigment on IMM or, even more tricky, in raw material feeding system). Ask for records of non-compliant parts - it is normal in injection moulding that you get deformed parts in the start-up phase, and then the process can go awry too. If they claim their process produces only good parts - ekhm, that would make me suspicious. This can mean that there is no control during the process. Ask for batch release process. Then check how they make sure each packaging item contains good amount of pieces (can be tricky for small details). Assess whether their packaging procedure protects the item from damage durin transportation, in house and external. You might be interested in their plastic waste management too.
Thanks, AgnieszkaSz, your comments helps me a lot, since I don't have any experience in moulding industrials, your sharing helps me to find some idea in my coming visit, thanks!

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
These are very good questions to ask. I would add questions regarding material conditioning (drying temperature, time), how they keep their moulding conditions and how they document deviations from the process.

If you only have two hours and they're a new supplier I'd follow some part numbers from order received to dispatch. That will give you a good feel of how their system works.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I don't like artificial limits on audit time like 2 hours max. Who picked that, and why? Why not 20 minutes? Why bother at all?

I don't like artificial limits on audit time like 2 hours max. Who picked that, and why? Why not 20 minutes? Why bother at all?
Thanks Mike, your opinion is really thoughtful, maybe it's hard to take the action as an audit but our organization called it in this way, and by the way, would you like to share some typical definition of "audit" or its typical characteristic? Thanks for your sharing in advance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Performance of high shear mixer (or rapid mixing granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Rapid screening methods for antibiotic residues in Chicken Meat Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
N Customer Complaint - Rapid Response Containment Procedure Customer Complaints 4
P Performance Qualification of old Rapid Mixer Granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Ronen E TGA may approve rapid HIV test, but only as PoCT (Point of Care Tests) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Design Control & Rapid Prototyping - Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I Non-sterile device - Rapid Test Kits - ISO 14644 Clean Room required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Manufacturing Process Design Output - Method of rapid NC detection & feedback Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Definition Issue date (Definition of) and Control of 'Rapid Forms' (store bought) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 0
A IRIS audit - Discussion about Special Processes General Auditing Discussions 8
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
D Major NC from last audit not fixed not sure how to fix General Auditing Discussions 9
X Sample SOC2 audit report (or a redacted one) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
D Lead time to schedule an ISO 13485 audit Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems 2
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
Z Steps to take before an MDSAP audit for Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
V Csv, excel format - audit trail file of HPLC system ( Empower, openlab, EZchrom or any other ) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
G Not accepting a non conformity during an audit General Auditing Discussions 11
K IATF audit day requirements table 5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4
Q Audit report template ISO 9001/14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q ISO 9001-2015 Internal audit finding Internal Auditing 12
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Go Live With New ERP System before Recertification Audit General Auditing Discussions 6
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
A Define timeline for Major and Miner Audit finding General Auditing Discussions 4
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
A API Monogram audit review process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
M AS9100D Registrar pre-audit requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
I Do I need to sign off my annual audit calendar? Internal Auditing 2
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Nice and simple invitation email to an audit kickoff meeting Internal Auditing 1
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Self-assessment audit information Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
xfngrs NIOSH Audit for N95 respirators US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Risked Based Audit Day Calculation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5