Ratio of Supplier with a nonconformance vs. Supplier without a nonconfomance

P

Phil Fields

I present to management on a monthly basis the supplier quality data for the previous month. One of the measure is the total number of suppliers and the total number of suppliers with a nonconformance.

What I am looking is if there is an industry acceptable ratio of suppliers with and without a nonconformance. Or is there another type of measurement that others use for this type of data.

I appreciate your help,
Phil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
We simply use an index number, calculated using NC for current year, total NC since they became supplier, and number of years they have been a supplier. This gives us a number that we can use to compare suppliers, and using the years part smooths out any extreme bumps caused by a longtime good supplier experiencing one catastrophic batch.
Management gets year performance by totals, and overall performance since they started supplying, and this info is imported to our AVL.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I present to management on a monthly basis the supplier quality data for the previous month. One of the measure is the total number of suppliers and the total number of suppliers with a nonconformance.

What I am looking is if there is an industry acceptable ratio of suppliers with and without a nonconformance. Or is there another type of measurement that others use for this type of data.

I appreciate your help,
Phil
From what you present., is that what management wished to know. What does the management do with the numbers you provide...
Supplier in the supply chain is a vital link in your business process. Just one supplier non conformance can halt your business chain OR get you customer complaint, which will again effect business progress.
I do not think any wise management will therefore look for some ratio to make an assessment.
Which supplier and what part NC stopped your production line
What is the root cause. Something within company specifications OR an issue with the supplier.
What is the action and status in resolving the issue. Is any top management intervention necessary ?
There could be one or very few cases on a ongoing monthly basis. If its more, then both you and management must look into underlying evaluation , selection, payments, specifications issue, lead times management and such other governing processes.

P

Phil Fields

Thank you for the response. What you have stated is very basic in understanding supplier quality. Very rarely is there any one number that tells the whole story.

There is one manager in this meeting that has asked if it is normal to have 20% of our suppliers with at least one nonconformance written against them.

I am interested to see if anyone else is reports any data like this.

Thank you,
Phil

hogheavenfarm

Over time, I think virtually all suppliers experience some issues, it all depends on the product and process. Where it may be useful is when a new supplier is brought on, I would want to know about those issues specifically, how often , etc.
There is no industry standard because every industry is different.

P

Phil Fields

Thank you, that is a good response. I can use that the next time the question is asked.

Phil

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
Thank you for the response. What you have stated is very basic in understanding supplier quality. Very rarely is there any one number that tells the whole story.

There is one manager in this meeting that has asked if it is normal to have 20% of our suppliers with at least one nonconformance written against them.

Thank you,
Phil
It is not very clear why the management ask this question, why he want to see this data which in fact can not prove if ths upplier is good nor not. But we you do regular supplier performance evaluation , you will see simialre statistics.

I am working as automotive supplier. I noted from customer (like VW and GM in Chian,) report that, about above 70% supplier have various problems big or smaller. But you may not conclude if the supplier quality level is high or low.

hogheavenfarm

<But you may not conclude if the supplier quality level is high or low. >

Quite correct Johnson - This is why we use an index number that has part of its makeup the length of time a supplier has worked with us. 1000 minor defects may not be a huge issue on some parts, 2 or 3 may be a game changer on others. Each one must be evaluated based on the criticality of the component, along with how irreplacebale the supplier is (ie is it a single source).
Some of the key suppliers of rare components could really care less of what you think of them, they know you cannot gets parts or materials anywhere else. At that point, a number is largely useless.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator

There would be no 'normal' for this index. the ratio would be highly dependent on the complexity of your components, the maturity of your design process and the maturity of your supplier base.

It also completely ignores the severity of the effect of the NCs.

Asking for 'normal' is a sign that this manager is striving for mediocrity. Ask him/her how knowing this would move the organization forward from a continual improvement standpoint. Ask them what action this ratio will drive?

there is well intended yet so misguided effort that we have devolved to that is trying to replace human logic and critical thought with some calculated index that is supposed to provide clear and simple insight into rather complex situations. (RPNs, Cpk, etc. come readily to mind) Donald Wheeler has a great article in the current 'issue' of quality digest called Numerical Jabberwocky. This was posted on April Fool's day but it does the make point about these weird indices...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F What to do when you don't meet the 1:10 ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
J Question on very low NDC number with tolerable GRR ratio's Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Signal-to-Noise (S/N) Ratio formula check Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E How does Non-Linear UUT affect TAR (Test Accuracy Ratio) Calculation? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M ANOVA for S/N ratio gives different results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Maximum acceptable Tolerance - Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Calculating Precision to Tolerance Ratio Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) for Ring Gage Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
A Change Ratio [Guideline in Control Limit Update] Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Strange PT Ratio on an Excel spreadsheet for variable GRR ANOVA Method Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
T Taguchi DOE Analysis - What S/N ratio (Nominal is best or smaller is better) to use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
C Part Tolerance and TAR (Test Accuracy Ratio) - Non-Fixed Gaging General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
T 4:1 Test Accuracy Ratio (TAR) or Stated Measurement Uncertainty (MU) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
C Calculating Percentage Contribution Ratio (PCR) in Minitab Using Minitab Software 13
J What is ratio or reciprocity-type measurements in ISO15189 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Study Variation and Discrimination Ratio in Gage R&R ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
L Proper Personnel Ratio - Quality to Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Ratio of Quality Personnel to Normal Personnel in your Company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
D Ideal Ratio of Turnover (Sales), Employees & Departments Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
P Early versus Late delivery from suppliers - what's the acceptable ratio? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S TUR (test uncertainty ratio) based on Standard or Expanded Measurement Uncertainty? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
gard2372 Inspector to Technician Staffing Ratio Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Inventory Turn Over Ratio Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 8
O Man to Machine Ratio - Knitting (socks) Industry Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A Quality Personnel Deployment Ratio to Sales Turnover Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
S The Logic behind Tolerance vs. Least Count 1/10 Ratio General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
Govind What is a Proof Reading Ratio? Japanese Customer Questionnaire General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Calibration Accuracy Ratio - An explanation of the 10:1 or 4:1 rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Test Uncertainty Ratio TUR (UUT Tolerance / STD Uncertainty) Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D The Origin of the 10:1 Resolution Ratio for Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
S P/T (Precision/Tolerance) ratio for off-center processes? Process capability ratio? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Normal Ratio for QA to Total Hourly Labour? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
samer Hit ratio of customer satisfaction process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
A Can I use the S/N ratio analysis? Injection molding process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
R What does the P/t ratio (Precision/Tolerance) =RR/(USL-LSL) say about my gage study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Precision/Tolerance Ratio for 1-sided Specification - How to Compute Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
O Gage R&R Related Terms - EV, %EV, AV, %AV, GRR, %GRR, PV, %PV, TV, and P/T Ratio Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G DMM Ratio Specifications - Uncertainty for the Ratio function of a digital multimeter Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
C TAR (test accuracy ratio) vs. TUR (test uncertainty ratio) - The difference is..? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
V Ratio of Quality vs. Manufacturing Staff in Medical Device Industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G What is P/T Ratio in relationship to calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Pass Through Rate Ratio Improvement and Defining Pass Through Rate Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
P How to calculate TUR (Test Uncertainity Ratio)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Differences between Test Accuracy Ratio (TAR) and Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Measurement Risk Management - 4:1 Test Accuracy Ratio Guardband General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0